Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Portland or Camden? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/portland-or-camden-387004/)

Kelly1212 Jun 30th, 2008 08:34 PM

Portland or Camden?

We have two free nights to spend on our drive up to Bar Harbor, Maine in late August. We can't decide between Portland or Camden -- as both seem to get rave reviews.
What's your preference and why?
Thanks for the help!

Shar Jun 30th, 2008 10:22 PM

Have been to both But prefer Camden for it's small town feel right on the water. charming area, nice B & B's, good restaurants, and close to Bar harbor

Vallombrosa Jul 1st, 2008 02:58 AM

I suppose it depends on what you like to do, but Portland is a wonderful small city, on the water, with fabulous restaurants, a great art museum, easy access to Cape Elizabeth and its beaches and lighthouse.

dfnh Jul 1st, 2008 03:23 AM

If you stay in Portland, your drive to Bar Harbor is going to be longer so my vote would go to Camden because you can spend more time getting there (meaning both Camden and Bar Harbor). We prefer the mid-Coast area for one thing. You could do a lunch stop in the Brunswick area driving out to one of the great lobster places. Maybe South Harpswell because it's more rural. Stop in Boothbay for a walk thru Maine Coastal Gardens or visit the Bath Maritime Museum (see if they have a boat trip planned). Get to Camden for the night. If still plenty of daylight drive up top of Mt Battie for the incredible view overlooking the harbor. Maybe late date would be good since there might be more boats coming into the harbor but anytime is wonderful. Next day visit Rockland, Farnsworth Museum or Owls Head Transportation, visit Owls Head Light and lobster lunch at Waterman's Beach. Night 2 in Camden. You can fit in shops etc depending on your schedule. Leave Camden for Bar Harbor, stopping in Lincolnville at Cellar Door Winery for a tasting and choose some bottles for your vacation. Stop at chicken coop before you get to Ellsworth for some antiquing and great selection of used books. Lunch in Ellsworth. Wander down Blue Hill Peninsula depending on what you like to do. Much quieter area of Maine. I look for garden places, interesting views. We will drive out roads that look promising. Sometimes find a tiny, secluded harbor. Sometimes not. You could also schedule a day on Monhegan Island if you like to hike. Dramatic cliffs. Bring a picnic lunch and binoculars. We left from Boothbay Harbor but there are boats from other locations. (this would be one of your Camden days).

nantucketgirl Jul 4th, 2008 06:20 PM

Kelly - I second Camden. In my very brief experience Camden is more charming than Portland - I admittedly only spent one night in Portland, which was very nice, and I look forward to someday checking it out more as it does get raves - but during the same trip just this past May I spent two nights in Camden and enjoyed it more - it had a lovely, quaint harbor, good restaurants, bars - and a perfect New England feel to it. Pretty place. Enjoy!

Kelly1212 Jul 15th, 2008 07:12 PM

Thank you, everyone, for the input on this. Very helpful! I think we will be stopping in Camden on our drive to Bar Harbor.

LJ Jul 16th, 2008 05:09 AM

Re: dfnh's great suggestions...if you want to go antiquing (or book browsing) near Ellesworth, it is the Chicken Barn off Route 1, that you are looking for and then lunch, in town at Crazy Dave's BBQ (opposite Walmart) or Finelli's for pizza or The Mex on the main street or Jordons for seafood as you head up to BH. And truly, do consider at trip to Blue Hill, Stonington, Castine and Cape Rosier if you get tired of tourism. It is the old Maine vacation.