Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland - is Chinese/Japanese garden the same place?

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:13 AM
lili

Or they a different locations? Which is recommended? We are off to Portland for 4th of July - will the Pearl galleries be opened late even though it's a holiday? Thanks!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:36 AM
sightseer

The gardens are two separate facilities in different parts of town, but could both easily be seen in the same day. If you choose to do only one, I'd recommend the Japanese Gardens since they're up at Washington Park and you could enjoy the larger park with wonderful views of downtown Portland.

Portland Classical Chinese Garden
Northwest Third Avenue at Everett Street
Portland, Oregon 97209
www.portlandchinesegarden.org

The Japanese Garden is located on the west side of Washington Park directly above the International Rose Test Gardens.
www.japanesegarden.com

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 09:43 AM
lisa

The Japanese and Chinese Gardens are different. The Japanese Garden is located in Forest Park, just west of downtown, near the Rose Gardens. It is a beautiful area - perhaps one of the most beautiful Japanese Gdns in the US.

The Chinese Gardens opened only about a year ago and is an urban garden in the downtown area, enclosed within walls. The concept is to create peace within city boundaries/a relatively small area. Perspective is used to create a sense of a larger space. It is one of the few authentic Chinese Gardens in the US, and was built with Chinese workman with Chinese materials.

Perhaps you can find a web site on each and decide which is more of interest to you. Both are authentic and beautifully done. I would guess the Chinese Garden is more unusual, and, if you've never been to one, but have seen a Japanese Gdn before, it might be the one to pick.

I tried to call some galleries for you, but noone is answering today....maybe Monday is the day off.

The Porland Art Museum has a major exhibition, "Splendors of Imperial Japan, Arts of the Meiji Period from the Khalili Coollection" They will be open from 10 AM to 8 PM on July 4 (regular Thursday hours).

There is a Waterfront Blues Festival, also, with performances from noon to after 10 PM (when there will be fireworks, but not the area's main fireworks, which are on the Columbia). I tis north of the Hawthorne Bridge, south to the Riverplace Hotel, with three stages. (Bring $5 and 2 cans of food for admission)

Hope you have a great time.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
helping

You'll find plenty of information (and telephone number)--
http://www.chinesegarden.org/

Haven't been, but if I ever get to Portland, it's on the list!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
ccc

chinese, japanese, they all look the same to me!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Sara

Unfortunately I haven't been to the Chinese garden yet. Talked to someone who had and she said they don't have flowers, just greenery. She enjoyed it but it might be more of a place to go and relax than just walk through. I have been to the Japanese Gardens and enjoyed them very much. I would highly recommend them. Try to go on a clear day and the views will be incredible. Love the koi.

I think I read somewhere that the Japanese Gardens in Portland are among the best in the country.

Can't help with the galleries. Hope you have a great time.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:54 PM
lisa

I reached a couple of galleries today and here's the scoop. They will all be closed for July 4. They will be open on Wednesday night, to 8 PM or 9 PM, rather than on Thursday night. (First Wednesday, instead of First Thursday, this month.) Sorry! Hope you can make it in early.

Now the Chinese Gdn will be open on July 4, to 6 PM, with the last ticket sold around 5:15, I think they said. Just thought I'd check that out for you.

Speaking of which, more on the Chinese Gardens, which I recommend everyone in Portland visit, and take your friends and family when they come to visit. The garden has a lot of different structures with nooks and crannies for views, as well as pathways and bridges over the lake area, and waterfalls. It's sort of like being in a good Japanese film (maybe a good Chinese film, but I haven't seen too many Chinese movies), where every camera shot is perfection.

There are frequent tours through the garden that are well worth going on (They are free or for a nominal charge.) There is symbolism everywhere and the workmanship that went into the making of the garden is inspiring. Every stone in it was shipped from China. Every tile is laid perfectly, or carved by Chinese craftsman. There is a little tea house, too, which we didn't eat at, but I'll take my mom there when she visits!

If I had to pick only one to go to, it would be a hard decision. People are right in saying the views from the Japanese Gardens are great, and it is more expansive. Plus, it was built with the same loving care as the Chinese Gardens. And it is next to the Rose Gdn, which has one of the best views of Mt. Hood in the City, and, if you're lucky, someone will be playing music in it.

So, maybe you can fit both in, expecially because the galleries are closed!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 09:45 AM
lili

thanks for all your help everyone, just got back and had a wonderful time (went w/the chinese garden, by the way ... and loved it) ... it's certainly something very original and beautiful AND, out of the 4 days, 3 were not a cloud in the sky ... who sais portland is cloudy ... thanks everybody