COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Portland for New Year's Eve?

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Portland for New Year's Eve?

Hi All,

My husband and I have been very eager to visit Portland and have an opportunity to do so over New Year's Eve this year (without our toddler!!). I am wondering whether Portland will be enjoyable despite the weather. Is it green then? Will walking the neighborhoods still be pleasant?

Also, any ideas about New Year's Eve activities?

Thanks so much!!
Laura
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM

It's a great city to visit at any time of year...and it is green for all twelve months. There is a slight possibility that it might be a tad white around the first of the year but snow is not a given at sea level in the northwest. Wear something that can withstand a little moisture.

I'll defer the activities question to those who live there.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 10:43 AM
mms

Bob summed it up pretty well. I don't know about NYE activities, but restaurants do special events on that evening so you might look into that.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:23 PM

There used to be a party in Pioneer Courthouse Square every New Year's Eve. It's not listed here though: http://portlandor.about.com/od/artse.../new_years.htm.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM

I lived in Portland for 12 years and I have only seen snow their twice.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Portland City Grill would be a fun place for a meal on NYE, gorgeous views of the city lights here at night! ***kim***
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Portland is a great city with a booming restaurant scene. The longest running New Year's Eve Party in Portland is the 18th Annual Champagne Ball. There is great music, plenty of dancing, food and huge countdowns. Cocktail attire to Black Tie. Check it out at www.champagneball.com.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:44 AM

It is green all the time in Portland
If it is not too cold or too wet, walking is my favorite way of seeing / getting around Portland.

New Years Eve will be reservations only in many restaurants, with expensive special dinners.

I will tell you my favorite places that are both romantic and have great food, and hopefully will be open as usual on NYE.. Last NYE in Portland, we went to Silk, a Vietnamese Restaurant and had Pho and all sorts of lovely spicy food. I also liked going to Sungari Pearl, a beautiful Chinese restaurant in the Pearl District where we sat by the window and watched the Streetcars go by ..

My favorite restaurants in Portland are:
Fenouil
bluehour
those I mentioned above
and then there is
Ten01
and two I did not get to try
Sel Gris and Le Pigeon

If you can get reservations at Fenouil, it would be lovely, they have 2 two-sided fireplaces with candle light and the park with trees with lights .. very nice.

I would avoid the mediocre food at the Portland City Grill and just go up there for drinks if you want to see the view, which runs a big chance of being a view of clouds or fog.. at that time of year.

and irish... we saw snow twice when we lived there too... in a year and a half lol

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:54 AM
mms

Yes, definitely get reservations wherever you decide to go that evening.

Since you are married, I would opt away from Portland City Grill. It does have great views (if the weather cooperates), but it is a meat market atmosphere.

Have you checked into what the various hotels are doing for that night?