Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland & Beaverton Farmers market and July 4th fireworks

Jun 11th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Two different questions all in one post!

I really wanted to go to the Farmers Market on Saturday, but we fly out at 11:30 and won't have time (Why doesn't it start earlier??). I even considered changing our flight, but that doesn't seem possible. How's the Wednesday Beaverton market? I ask, because it so happens that we will be at the Beaverton Powell's Wednesday at 7:00 for a booksigning (Gary Vaynerchuk, if there are any Vayniacs out there). As long as I'm mentioning Beaverton... is there anything else to do or see there? Any great "not to be missed" food?

Question #2 -- fireworks on July 4th..... is there a great "off the beaten track" vantage point? We're thinking about dinner at Le Pigeon that night. Is there anywhere around there that would be good? We do not plan on going to the Blues fest, so do people just line up all along the river? What's the scene like? Can anyone give me details? About what time would we need to be finished with dinner?

Thanks. I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but that should keep you all busy for now. I'm really excited about our trip!
Jun 11th, 2008, 10:10 AM

The Farmer's market in Beaverton is great but I have only been there on a Saturday. You will be very close to it so you might as well check it out.

There really aren't any spectacular restaurants in Beaverton and not a lot to offer a tourist, either.

As for fireworks, it is hard to find an "off the beaten path" place to view them because any place with a view of them will have others who want to watch.

Many people watch from the Blues Festival (why won't you go there?), Oaks Park, Blue Lake Park and Fort Vancouver in Washington.

The fireworks will begin between 9:30-10 or so. When to be done with dinner would depend on where you want to watch the fireworks from.

Jun 11th, 2008, 10:15 AM
mms

Yes, the Beaverton Farmer's market is good on Wednesdays as well. Definitely go to the Bavarian Nut House stand and get the marionberry chocolate covered hazlenuts.

There really isn't much in Beaverton unless you like strip malls. There is a good restaurant on the far west side of town at Canyon and 170th called Nonna Emilia's. Since you are in town at dinner time, that is where I would go. It is good and has been around for many years. Calzones are their specialty, and portions are huge so share if you can. Another place not to far from that Powells's is Giovanni's, which actually is really close to the farmer's market as well.

As for fireworks, the downtown ones are good, but if you want to go to a real off the beaten path one head out to Corbett. They put on an absolutely stunning show!
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Portland Farmer's Market also has scaled down versions on Wednesdays & Thursdays, but I haven't been. If they're anything like Saturday's though, you'll love 'em.
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM

The Portland Farmers Market in the parking lot at Hot Lips in the Pearl District is very nice, on Thursdays.

We always bought our flowers from the young couple there, they were the most beautiful flowers that lasted for at least a week and they are generous with the amount in the bunches that you buy.
There are many baked goods for sale, you can eat your way through all of the Portland Farmers Mkts, from cheese to pastries and breads to patés etc.

Wednesdays the Farmers Mkt on in the South Park Blocks is also good, but we just preferred the Wed Mkt.

You can't really go wrong with any of them, charming, amusing, there is often good music, a guest chef or wine maker and all that beautiful produce !

Enjoy !
Jun 11th, 2008, 11:56 AM

I really should proof-read. . That should read -- that we just preferred the Thursday Mkt in the Pearl.

Jun 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM

The Wednesday farmers' market in Beaverton is good--it is a lot smaller than the Saturday market, but they still have a pretty decent selection.
If your book signing doesn't begin 'til 7, I would recommend happy hour at the Hall St. Grill, which is right down the street from Powell's. They have both tasty food and drinks--it is a great happy hour. Also, there is a new restaurant near the farmers' market called Decarli. I can't comment on it as I haven't yet been, but I've heard good things.
Jun 12th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips! We will definitley check out the Beaverton market as long as we are there and will probably look at some of your restaurant suggestions.

Can't wait! Hope the weather warms up some.