Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Portland- 5th Ave. Suites or RiverPlace Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/portland-5th-ave-suites-or-riverplace-hotel-468133/)

jacquiro Aug 18th, 2004 03:31 PM

Portland- 5th Ave. Suites or RiverPlace Hotel?

Hi. I'm trying to book a nice hotel room in Portland in early Sept and we're looking for someplace centrally located and charming (we won't have a car). I've never been to Portland, so I'm having trouble figuring out where to stay. We just want the nicest place we can find for under $200/night. Any feelings about these 2 hotels or any others in the area? Thanks!

beachbum Aug 18th, 2004 04:06 PM

As a local, I've not stayed in either, but would give the nod to 5th Avenue Suites for its location and proximity to mass transit. If you do a search, you'll find it's also been recently endorsed by Travel & Leisure as well as several other fodorites.

Riverplace is located right on the Willamette River at the south end of core downtown. As it's relatively new, I don't think of it as "charming." But it's very nice, though a bit of a hike to mass transit and other attractions.

Scarlett Aug 18th, 2004 04:09 PM

Hi
I just made reservations at the Fifth Avenue Suites for the end of Sept.
The prices were good, the rooms and hotel look great and the reviews have all been very good.
Also the location seems to be perfect.
I read some good reviews here :)

Andrew Aug 18th, 2004 04:10 PM

5th Ave Suites is centrally located in the heart of downtown Portland. The Riverplace Hotel is more of a hike without a car to the museums and shopping, whereas the 5th Ave is close to the MAX train and the bus malls. You can certainly take Taxis too/from the Riverplace Hotel and I've heard it's a very nice place. (If you visit the hotel's 3 Degrees restaurant, you'll find some bridge pictures hanging inside; a few of them are mine.)

There are other nice hotels close to the heart of downtown you might like. There's the Hotel Vintage Plaza (sister property to the 5th Ave) and the Heathman (a little further south on Broadway) for example. I have seen rooms at the 5th Ave and the Vintage Plaza (a friend used to work there) but never stayed in any of these places - but I'm sure others can give you good feedback.

Andrew

jimshep Aug 18th, 2004 04:45 PM

I've never stayed at River Place, but the suites at 5th Avenue Suites are a big favorite with us--and the location is perfect. Check www.travelportland.com for deals that include parking and breakfast.

kimamom Aug 18th, 2004 04:51 PM

Do you want to be on the waterfront or in the downtown area? We have stayed several times at the Riverplace and really enjoyed it. They have recently remodeled, my son stayed there a couple of nights last month and raved about it!

They upgraded his room to a suite upon check-in and they were treated very well. The hotel is now very contemporary, I toured a room when we were there and they're beautiful! Very upscale and updated.

The location is very nice, but we insist on being near the water for our stays. We enjoy walking the waterfront in the evenings and having the gorgeous water views from the property.

You will also have access to their athletic club down the street which is very nice. Full Olympic size pool, where I enjoyed doing my laps, jacuzzi, great weight equipment, etc.

Last time we were there we all walked to the Harborside for dinner which was very good. I believe my son paid $180/night on a weekend for his room, so the Riverplace is in your budget, it just depends if you want to be on the waterfront.

We also enjoyed riding our bikes to the Saturday market from the hotel. Enjoy Portland! I hope you get to try the Bluehour and Paley's Place, my two favorite Portland restaurants. ***kim*** :)

jacquiro Aug 18th, 2004 08:45 PM

Thank you everyone...that was very helpful! I think we'll book the 5th Ave. Suites....I want to be centrally located and able to shop and tour easily.
I love this board!

Brian_in_Charlotte Aug 19th, 2004 05:00 AM

My god I hope you can do better than $200 a night. Unless it's a very busy weekend you should have no trouble getting a reservation for $129 or less. And if you want to really save some money, you can almost assuredly get a 4* downtown for $65 at Priceline.

5th Ave is a nice hotel, as is the Westin if it's a better deal.

Tennischick Aug 19th, 2004 07:52 AM

I've stayed in and can recommend both. I like 5th Ave Suites for the location and the evening wine tastings! I stay there on shopping trips with friends. Riverplace is very nice too and and a bit more unique location-wise.

You might also want to check out the Benson (www.bensonhotel.com). It is a lovely historic property downtown. You may be able to get a package deal close to $200 but probably not under.

kimamom Aug 30th, 2004 06:10 PM

Wow, I just read some very unfavorable reports on Tripadvisor of 5th Avenue Suites! Tho the majority of the posters were happy with the place, two people, one from DC stated that the rooms were very hap-hazardly decorated and her breakfast consisted of stale scones! Are the rooms tastefully done or more on the "wild" side?

Also, a poster from Santa Monica was upset that her internet service didn't work in her room. It sounds like this is also a very family-friendly place. Lots of people traveling with children like it. **kim***

Scarlett Aug 30th, 2004 07:16 PM

Re: 5th Ave Suites:
I can let you know at the beginning of October how badly the rooms are decorated :) I'm not worried, I have heard such good reviews.
Stale scones as a bad review does not carry much weight in my mind. One can always send back the scone lol ..

Scarlett Aug 30th, 2004 07:33 PM

<i> This is from an online hotel review that I found. </i>

Steps from everything ? Originally built in 1912 as the Lipman Wolfe department store, Fifth Avenue Suites was fully renovated in 1996 into a premier hotel, making Travel + Leisure magazine's &quot;Top 100 Hotels&quot; list in 2003. The renovation made extensive use of the high ceilings and large windows in the design of the 221 rooms, most of them suites. It is now listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and steps away from shopping at Pioneer Place, Nordstrom and Nike Town, and the city's main theaters, art museum and Performing Arts Center. Business amenities include a business center with fax, copy machine, computers and printers, and some rooms offer high-speed wireless Internet access. There is also a fitness center and privileges to a nearby health club.

lcuy Aug 30th, 2004 08:19 PM

Hi jacquiro- you can check out my review of both these hotels at &quot;Lcuy's Portland Trip Report&quot;

I was just there last week and stayed in both hotels.

Don't forget to check POVA.com's rates. Their summer special (good thru 9/30) includes 2 breakfasts and free parking-worth about $50! And no, I don't have any connection to the Portland visitors Assn :-)