Port St. Joe/ Apalchicola/Panama City

Old Aug 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Innesha

Port St. Joe/ Apalchicola/Panama City

We would like to spend Labor Day at Port St. Joe/Apalchicola. I have heard the beach is beautiful. If anyone can give me some advice about places to stay, things to do, I would appreciate it. (We are a couple in our 40's no kids). Any good restaurants, night clubs etc. Thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Nancy

You've heard right, this is a beautiful part of the panhandle. From Port St. Joe west to Mexico Beach, all beautiful & most of all, tourists have not discovered them yet so there is no tourist traffic. Be warned though, this area is VERY low key, no restaurant chains, no big party spots, no shopping malls. You will be about 2 hours from Panama City in one direction & 2 hours from Tallahassee in the other direction though. Enjoy you vacation.

I have included two links to get you started. Cape San Blas is a truly beautiful area. There is a state park that rents cabins (or you could camp out) & then there is the link to the Inn.

http://www.capesanblasinn.com/

http://www.funandsun.com/parks/StJos...oseph.html#act

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:39 AM
Connie

My sister stayed there last year during spring break and there were no crowds. She's going back again in September. If you want slow paced relaxation, this is a good place.

It was recently named best beach in the U.S. Hope this hasn't made it crowded.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Ted

If you're looking for good restaurants and some nightlife, then you should consider staying further west in Panama City Beach or Destin. Both offer beautiful beaches (better than Port St Joe in my opinion) and many many dining & nightlife options. Both destinations, however, will be very crowded over Labor Day Weekend. It's a trade-off, without a doubt.
Enjoy!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:40 AM
todd

Well, I guess it's pointless to try to keep this area as "my secret beach", seeing as how Men's Journal, Southern Living, and other mags have named it as one of the best beaches in the country...oh well.

Been going there for about 4 years now, and we'll be there for Labor Day as well!

We usually rent vacation rentals from the various real estate agencies (www.capesanblasrentals.com, OR http://www.quicksitebuilder.cnet.com...ealty/id2.html). The latter of those 2 is allowing 3-night rentals for the holiday weekend.

If you prefer a hotel, I can recommend the Gibson Inn, in Apalachicola. Historic hotel, right in the heart of downtown (all 2 blocks of it!). Comes with a restaurant, and a reported ghost, although I can't vouch for the ghost. (www.gibsoninn.com).

As far as nightclubs, forget about it. Just have a drink out on the deserted beach instead.

As far as restaurants go, not a WHOLE lot of options there, either. I recommend the Indian Pass Raw Bar...in the middle of nowhere on C-30, looks like a gas station. Otherwise, there's the restaurant at the Gibson Inn, there's a little Mexican Seafood place in downtown Apalach, and a couple of seafood joints over by the docks...

Have a good time!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
RB

Double ditto on Indian Pass for raw oysters- the best! Enjoy your stay.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Innesha

Thanks to all who replied! We are looking forward to some peace and quiet.