Porland Hotels With Larger Rooms?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for ideas on hotels with large rooms in the downtown Portland area. I have read several reviews and comments about many nice hotels, but one central comment on most is that they have small rooms. My wife and I will be there for five days, part business and part to check out the city as we have never been there. I don’t do well with small rooms. One or two night’s maybe, but five nights I prefer larger rooms and bathrooms. Any recommendations that might fit that request would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM

We had a huge room in Hotel Deluxe with Flatscreen TV and it was a corner room. I don't know if they upgraded us or what, but it was good. Parking is a little iffy, and I think it was about 2 blocks "out of the way", not a super location, but not bad either. We really enjoyed Portland. Toro Bravo for Tapas was a great place to eat. Stumptown was our favorite coffee place. You can walk to Powells from Hotel Deluxe and my wife spent a lot of time there.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Hotel Monaco Portland offers 2 room suites.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:04 AM

We got upgraded to one of those corner rooms too, spirobulldog, but the knock on the Hotel De Luxe is generally that their rooms are small-ish. Same is true of The Benson and The Heathman, both of which I think were built about the same time.

Most often recommended Portland hotel is probably the Monaco. Many/most(?) of its rooms are suites. Embassy Suites would be another good choice.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM

If you want a large room, I definitely wouldn't recommend the Heathman. We were given a room so small we could hardly negotiate around the bed. It's the only time in my life I ever asked for another (larger) room, and their response was to give us a room designed for handicapped access that had a shower room with no door so that everything in the vicinity got wet. True, it was larger, but not a very satisfactory experience, esp. considering we weren't there on any kind of a deal and paid full price for the room.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Don

The Hilton Portland and Executive Suites has decent-size rooms, even when we've gotten this hotel on Priceline.

If you go with the Hotel Monaco, make sure it's a suite. The one time we stayed there, the room was small (although it had a very high ceiling).
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM

I thought Mcmennimens(spelling) souned interesting. I would think the rooms would be large there, since they are old school rooms. It may not be downtown, I don't remember.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 11:10 AM

The McMenamin's places offer a uniquely Oregon experience, but you should probably look elsewhere if you have expectations of luxury and/or amenities. Most popular closest to downtown would be the Kennedy School in northeast: http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?loc=57.

Another out-of-the-box kind of pick would be Inn at Northrup Station: http://northrupstation.com/. All suites, with a 70's retro decor. Probably not everyone's cup of tea either, but friends loved it when they stayed there a few years ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM

Another vote for the suites at the Hotel Monaco. I think those suites are the most comfortable rooms in the city (I've stayed at most of the hotels there) and they are usually just a few dollars more per night than the standard rooms.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Kennedy school has huge rooms. Lovely beds and baths, fun atmosphere, but be aware there are no TVs and recently no internet either (this may have changed).
Monaco suites are very nice, but the standard rooms are fairly compact.

Go through the Portland Visitors bureau site- POVA.com - to get best deals in Portland. Parking and breaksfast for two are normally included, which is about a $50 value per night.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 04:29 PM

The Kennedy School is badly located for visiting Portland, really. It's far from downtown, and public transit service into downtown is not great. Otherwise, the Kennedy School is a neat place, worth a visit even if you aren't staying there (it's a complex of bars, restaurants, and a movie theater as well as hotel rooms).

My folks stayed at the Hilton and Executive Suites a few years ago; echoing what Don said, the rooms are of decent size and the location is right in the center of Portland. JPJH didn't mention price as a factor, but surely the Hilton is cheaper than a suite at the Monaco.
Old Oct 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice. I'll take a look at your suggestions and see what I can come up with.