Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Poipu/Kauai Condo, Reasonably Priced with Pool

Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
The five of us will be in Kauai next winter and are looking for a reasonably priced 2 bd/2ba condo with a pool. Our friends will be in Poipu so we'd like to be relatively near...but they are at the Marriott Waihola timeshare and it's expensive!
Some of the other Poipu properties are also very pricey - ideally we'd pay about $300 per nite. Is that possible for a 2 bedroom unit?
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:03 AM

You shouldn't have a problem finding something in that price range at all.
First you can try www.vrbo.com if you'd like to rent from an owner. The positives of renting from an owner is that you know excatly where you'll be located and how the place is decorated. The negatives are that it can be hard to cancel late, and you usually can't charge it.
Another option is www.suite-paradise.com. They have a ton of condos in Poipu. I've never rented from them but I've heard that the Manualoha section at Poipu Kai is nice. Have fun searching.
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:18 AM
dmlove

If you don't mind sitting through a timeshare presentation, we stayed at the Waiohai last summer on a deal that cost us less than $200/nt including a car. For that, of course, they put us in the worst room in the place (which honestly shouldn't even exist -- the back of building 4, overlooking the parking lot -- we got them to move us, but it took a lot of effort), and we did have to sit through the presentation (but it was very low-key). We loved the place (once we moved to the second worst spot, but at least we had a view of the gardens, which are gorgeous).

Mar 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
dmlove

I should add that timeshare presentations are pretty much my number one least favorite way to spend a couple of hours, but this wasn't terrible!

Mar 4th, 2008, 09:30 AM

dmlove, i agree timeshare presenations sometimes feel like slow death. We did endure one once though. Money was tight a few years ago and to celebrate our anniversery we sat though one at the Highlands Inn in Carmel We got a beautiful room for $75 a night. To make the presentation less awful we pretended in our minds that were really interested. By the end of the presenatation I was ready to sign up, until I came back to reality.
I have thought of doing the Marriott one before.
Mar 4th, 2008, 09:37 AM

We were in Kauai about five years ago and stayed at a place called the Alihi Lani. We really liked it. It's just down the road from the Sheraton and the sandy beach. We had a two bedroom condo reasonably priced. It's a small complex with a pool. I believe there were only six units with two floors. It's across a road from a rocky shore - no bldgs across the road, so it has an unobstructed view of the water. You can google it.
Mar 5th, 2008, 04:32 PM
kip

We've stayed at Poipu Kai a number of times and would recommend it as an affordable way to stay in Poipu. Of the five developments there, we like Manualoha best. The units are big and the pool is nice (but unheated!) We've also stayed in the Kahala units. We've booked through private owners and through Suite Paradise. I'd probably stick with Suite Paradise. The garden units at Manualoha are the way to go and are well priced. The oceanview units have varying degrees of ocean views. Poipu Kai is an easy walk to the beach and not far from the Mariott. The property is large, the units are spread out and not nearly as crowded as those at the Mariott.

Beautiful beach too.
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:02 AM

We own a timeshare at Banyan Harbor in Lihue. It isn't the most luxurious by no means but I believe that the rental prices are not bad and the view is nice. They do have a pool and it is walking distance from the beach at the Marriott which is really nice.

We have also stayed at the Plantation Hale but that is in Kapa'a which is a ways from Poipu.
Mar 7th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks all - these are great ideas. I'm waiting on a reply from Suite Paradise.

By the way, I contacted the Marriott people because I was actually interested in the time share information. The wierd thing? No offer for an overview in return for a deal on a stay, just a salesman on the phone telling me the price upfront is $48K and then $2K per year. How is a timeshare a good idea?
Mar 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Do you mean buying a timeshare? We bought out timeshare at Banyan Harbor on Ebay for less than $1000. Our annual fee is less than $500. The resale prices right now for Banyan Harbor are around $9000 so I think we got quite a deal!

Buying from some place like Marriott is going to be VERY expensive and IMHO not worth the cost. Half of the price of buying a "new" timeshare is for marketing. We learned that when we looked at a new timeshare in Princeville.