Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Point Reyes in late Oct/early Nov...any fall colors or where to...?

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pondering a mini getaway for a wknd. Any fall colors to be found in the area, or not so much?

Also, mulling Nevada City which I'm sure would be pretty this time of year, but we don't have lots of time, so the shorter drive is appealing. (to Pt Reyes) Plus,
we love hiking. Are wondering if the tule elk might be bugling this time of year? (like Rocky Mtn elk?)

We do love hiking...not as aware of hikes in/near Nevada City. But if you have any, plz share!

Fave places to stay in PR? Nevada City?
Most seem booked already!

Any reviews of the Seashore Lodge per chance or Olema Cottages?

Any other fave destination this time of year? It's my hubby & mine 20th Anniversary since we first met. Thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Any opinions on Pt. Reyes this time of year? Just wondering if it seems too dry. Am used to going in Spring when the pastures are emerald & the wildflowers are out.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM

I like Point Reyes any time of the year. It is a completely different experience than Nevada City, as you probably know.

It is comprised of 65,000 acres and has more than 350 species of birds and 72 species of mammals. The tidepools are fascinating. I don't know anything about elk there....I rather doubt it, but who knows?

There are over 140 miles of hiking and horse trails, however. What Point Reyes has that Nevada City does not are gorgeous views of the ocean, and a lighthouse.

For lodging, the Point Reyes Seashore Lodge is in Olema, adjacent to the park.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM

I stayed at a B&B, but can't recall the name, in late Oct. a couple of years ago. It was too late for the what ever fall colors they get in PR, but it was uncrowded, cool, relaxing, nice trails and easy access.

If you're looking for Elk consider further north in the Redwood National Park.

But my favorite west coast spot in the fall is eastern Washington (Leavenworth, Ellensburg, Wenatche, Cashmere) and down to the Yakima valley wine country.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:01 PM

Earlier this year, we went to the Nevada City area and stayed at the Holbrooke Hotel in Grass Valley. It is a neat old hotel right on the main street, so easy walk to shops and restaurants. It has the quirks of an old hotel, but is very comfortable - great bed linens, down comforter, large clawfoot tub.

In Nevada City, it has been a few years since I stayed there, but I have stayed at the Deer Creek Inn, the Northern Queen Inn, and the Nevada City Inn.

The Deer Creek Inn is a nice B&B with a fabulous breakfast and really comfortable rooms. It is right on the creek, so very picturesque, and about a 2 block walk to the main street.

The Northern Queen Inn has standard motel style rooms and chalets. I've stayed in the motel style rooms, which were fine - nothing fancy, but they are fine and the setting is nice. I haven't been in the chalets. The restaurant there is pretty good. It is a little removed from the downtown, so you would have to drive.

The Nevada City Inn was a disappointment. It looked quite nice on the web site, but our room was not. Mismatched, chipped furniture that had definitely seen better days (and not mismatched in an eclectic way, but in a this-is-what-we-have-and-will-make-do sort of way). Uncomfortable matress, cheap linens. And the continental breakfast was weak coffee, frozen juice, and some sort of pastry in indivudual wrappers.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM

Ummm... boom boom
Daydreamer is referring to the mating season-which is now-for the tule elk at Pt. Reyes
They are typically found out around Tomales Pt. The bugling is a high pitched cry from the males as they try to gain females for their
harems=
http://www.pointreyesweekend.com/

I like PR anytime ! Nevada City would be fun. Or maybe Gold Country near Yosemite.
What about Mendocino for
"colors" ? It is certainly romantic !

R5
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Fodorites!
Thanks for the terrific feedback.

Yes, we're 'fans' of the tule elk
which we see at Tomales Pt. Just wasn't sure if they bugle like the others, found north, the Roosevelt elk, but assume so.

Colors? Just never have been in the fall, but I suppose it's mostly evergreen & live oaks there, so not so much w/respect to that?

Mendocino IS romantic & sweet, but recently spent my 40th bday there in July. Was my first time there in 10 yrs, so was long overdue! Found myself particularly charmed too by the wine country leading into it...Alexander Valley, I guess?

Hmmm...love Nevada City, too, but it IS more of a drive for us. Will see what the hubby thinks. Btw, any fave room at the Deer Creek Inn, J Correa? Thanks to all!!