Point of Rocks, MD

Apr 10th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Point of Rocks, MD

Does anyone know anything about Point of Rocks, MD? We're thinking of moving there and would love some insight...schools, community, life, etc.
Thanks!
Apr 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Do a google on it, I lived in Frederick for many years and its just a small town on US-15 on the MD side of the river.
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...went to visit this weekend and was disappointed...was expecting more in terms of a downtown and the new subdivision was horrible.
LOVED Frederick...but how tough is the commute down 270 to job in Bethesda?
Thank you.
p.s. do you know anything about Olney?
Apr 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM
LT

Hi Frieda:

270 is a major artery into the D.C. area, and thus, rush hours can be quite bad! But, you could take the MARC train from Frederick & pick up Metro @ Rockville & take that into Bethesda.

It might help if you let us know what criteria you are using to determine where to live . . . Do you want a more rural setting? Good schools? A downtown area? Close to shopping?

As far as Olney, it's your typical suburb . . . But, IMO, it's pretty nice.
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:19 AM

I remember fishing there on the Potomac in the wee early morning twenty years ago. I remember it as a beautiful place. But I don't know what Washington's suburban sprawl has done to the place. By all means, if you are forced to commute into Washington, use the MARC train.
Apr 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. Right now we live in Silver Spring (Woodmoor near Four Corners) and we have 2 preschoolers. The new downtown Silver Spring is nice but I just would love to live in a prettier outdoor environment...we love the mountains, river, etc. And I feel the crime is too high in this area (Wheaton, Langley, Silver Spring).
We would like to stay in Maryland and my husband's job is in Bethesda (but, who knows, future jobs could take him to DC or even Virginia).
So, we want a more rural pretty environment, excellent schools, a nice/progressive downtown (like Frederick), and a decent commute. We could buy a house in the 600-750 range.
Thanks again for any insights!
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:44 AM

A lot of people who commute to Bethesda/Rockville live in Urbana and other parts of southern Frederick County. You might also look in northern Montgomery County at places like Damascus, Laytonsville, or Mt Airy (Mt Airy covers 4 counties: Montgomery, Frederick, Carroll, and Howard). Western Howard and southern Carroll Counties are also doable commutes to Bethesda. You don't need to focus on new subdivisions. There are many very nice older homes with large lots in those areas, but they're often not visible from the main roads. I suggest you get a real estate agent, take your time, and visit as many homes for sale as possible.
Apr 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Buy something close to the MARC rail. I live in northern Montgomery County and you couldn't pay me to deal with 270 in the morning. My brother quit his job, 20 YEARS ago, due to the time it took to get to his job in D.C. from Frederick and had a company car! I don't even attempt 270 before 9:30 a.m. and still get caught in traffic jams. Furthermore, downtown Frederick maybe progressive but the rest of the county is not really. Don't know if that is important to you. Good Luck.