Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Point Lobos/Yosemite (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/point-lobos-yosemite-1011306/)

beebs Apr 13th, 2014 05:35 AM

Point Lobos/Yosemite

We will be visiting our son (age 24) in San Francisco in May, and plan to spend Memorial Day weekend away from the city, exploring either Point Lobos or Yosemite or both. Leaving SF Friday night, returning Monday afternoon or evening. Can anybody help plan an itinerary? We don't want to rush around, so if only one of those is doable, that's fine, just not sure which one. Could we fill the weekend just in the Big Sur/Carmel area? This would be my preference mainly because it's closer. Also, is 2 1/2 half days enough time for Yosemite if we did that instead? I know I could read through all the threads, but don't have a lot of time and would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks.

StuDudley Apr 13th, 2014 06:15 AM

Just visit one location. Most hotels require a minimum 2 night stay - so 2 locations is not only not a good idea - it is really not doable.

Friday night will be a mess on the freeways, unless you leave very late - like after 8:00.

There is plenty to do in the Carmel/Big Sur area to occupy 2 1/2 days. Book a hotel ASAP - there may be very few available at this late date.

Stu Dudley

sassy27 Apr 13th, 2014 06:43 AM

We went to Yosemite on a Sat morning and left on a Tuesday. We were able to fit in a lot but did only very short trials. You may have a problem with finding accommodations at this stage of your planning but people get lucky with calling hotels when things are fully booked as other people cancel their plans.

I also booked our accomodations for Carmel/Big Sur a month or so ago for June. I was finding a lot of things were already full but I also needed two rooms. If you only need one room, you might have better luck there.

Shanti Apr 13th, 2014 07:25 AM

Either one would be great and both will have lots of people visiting over that weekend (and Stu is right, traffic will be horrible) - but do you have reservations, especially for Yosemite? That may be your deciding factor. Keep checking for cancellations. DNC (which runs Yosemite lodging) requires one week notice of cancellation to get a refund so I've had good results with booking as late as eight to fourteen days out. But I live here so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to wait for the last minute. If I lived elsewhere I would reserve a place ASAP.

If you go to Yosemite, you can go up to Glacier Point area. I like hiking out to Taft Point at that time of year. Yosemite Falls will be flowing and you look down on it from Taft Point. It's 2.2 miles round trip with little elevation change. Tioga Road will probably be closed but you don't have enough time for it anyway.

Lots of beautiful hikes and drive near Point Lobos to more than fill up a few days. You will wish that you had more time.

beebs Apr 13th, 2014 08:55 AM

Thanks so much for the warning about traffic. Do you think Saturday a.m. would be any better, or should we just aim for driving late on Friday?

StuDudley Apr 13th, 2014 09:11 AM

I would leave early Sat Morning. You'll get to Carmel too late to do much of anything if you drive 280 or 101 and leave between 3-7pm (could take you 3 1/2 hrs to get to Carmel) or after 8PM (2 1/2 hrs to get there). With no or minimal traffic - plan on 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hrs to Carmel on 280/101. Yosemite is worse.

Actually, if you leave between 3 & 6 PM, I would drive to Ocean Beach in SF and take the coastal road all the way down to Carmel. Less commute traffic. From Ocean Beach to Carmel it is about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. You can hit 65MPH on Hwy 1 along the San Mateo Co coast.

Stu Dudley

janisj Apr 13th, 2014 10:18 AM

I absolutely LOVE Yosemite -- but not on Holiday weekends. And if you don't have reservations (like 6 months ago) not really doable.

Stick to Carmel/Big Sur/Pt Lobos . . . But book a place to stay ASAP.

Is your son going w/ you? If not, (I'm assuming he'll be working) I'd consider reversing things - go out of town midweek and stay in the city over the holiday weekend. Everybody else in SF will be heading out of town and it actually won't be all that busy in the city.

Whereas Carmel/Yosemite/Tahoe - all the resort-y areas - will be very busy.

beebs Apr 13th, 2014 10:36 AM

Yes, he'll be coming with us, as well as our grown daughter. The idea was for the 3 of us (me, husband and daughter) to hang out in SF while son is working, and then for the 4 of us to take off and spend some quality time together over the long weekend, seeing beautiful landscapes, hiking and taking photos.

jamie99 Apr 13th, 2014 11:12 AM

Don't think you'll get into Yosemite unless you call every day to check for cancellations, so I'd plan on Carmel, Monterey and Big Sur (don't overlook Pacific Grove although that is more B&Bs). Start calling and booking now.

janisj Apr 13th, 2014 11:30 AM

OK - since the kids will be traveling w/ you, the weekend will have to do. But things will be MUCH easier if either - • your son can get off work very early Friday (Leaving much after noon and the traffic will already be pretty bad) - or - • wait til early Saturday morning.