Poe house in Philadelphia?

Jun 17th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Poe house in Philadelphia?

I've been told by friends that there are some areas of Philly that I should avoid, being just a tourist from a small town and not used to the "big city". However, I want to visit the Edgar Allan Poe house, (7th & Spring Garden St.) and can't really tell if this is a neighborhood I should venture into - there seem to be no other "tourist" attractions around and I have to take a city bus. Any suggestions out there? I could use help from those who know Philly. Thanks!
Jun 17th, 2003, 05:56 PM

7th and Spring Garden St is not a marvelous neighborhood, but during the day, it should be OK. There is little tourist stuff near there. I have lived in Philly most of my life and have never been there. If you go East towards Front St.(1st), you will be near the River(Delaware Ave) with some stuff to see and do. Our transit co. is www.Septa.org
But if you get them on the phone, they give wonderful directions as to which bus to take.
Jun 17th, 2003, 06:58 PM

7th and Spring Garden is kind of a sketchy area. I really don't go there much myself, but I think that during the day it should be okay. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Jun 19th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Neighborhood is fine in the day (which is when you would tour). It is on the northern edge of the tourist area (about 6 blocks south - you have the new Constitution Center, Independence Park and the old historic area). For some fun places to relax - 4th and Spring Garden area has many fine pubs.

Search this Thread