Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Po Boys (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/po-boys-101688/)

Phil Jan 23rd, 2001 09:34 AM

Po Boys

I have my dinner reservations set. I have the hotel and airfare. There is not question where we are going to eat every morning b/c my wife loves the cafe. The only thing left is finding the perfect Po Boy for lunch. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions?

JustWondering Jan 23rd, 2001 10:21 AM

What city you're referring to....New Orleans? <BR>You give no indication.

Ed Jan 23rd, 2001 10:25 AM

Phil, <BR>That depends on which city you'll be visiting. If its New Orleans and you're in the French Quarter, I'd suggest a "Jaz" at the 24-hour deli on the corner of Royal and Gov. Nicholl's Street (can't rememebr the name; something wiht "Vert" in it). Also, your wife might try the croissant shop on Rue d'Ursiline between Chares and Royal for breakfast. <BR>- Ed <BR>

kal Jan 23rd, 2001 10:41 AM

If it is NOLA, "Mother's"! <BR>Ferdi's Special with debris.

ezron Jan 23rd, 2001 01:03 PM

Ditto for "Mothers". It is THE spot. As soon as you enter, you'll know you're in the right place.

Cindy Jan 23rd, 2001 02:57 PM

Hey Kal, how was Hawaii? <BR>But while we're discussing PoBoys, where is Mother's located in relation to the Inn on Bourbon, and what do you know about Johnny's? Some people at the hotel last year had them delivered and I overheard (over-drooled) that they were pretty good. <BR>Thanks, Cindy

iko iko Jan 23rd, 2001 04:33 PM

Mothers Mothers Mothers. Try the fried shrimp and oyster, dressed.

iko again Jan 23rd, 2001 04:34 PM

Casamento's are pretty good too.

kam Jan 23rd, 2001 04:34 PM

Oh, drool--they are the best in NO.

kal Jan 23rd, 2001 04:35 PM

Alohaaaa Cindy, Kauai was like my memory...Too short! Another excellent stay in 80-85 degree weather during the entire visit! <BR> <BR>Mother's is just across Canal from the Qtr. I/S of Poydras and Tchoupitoulas. Behind the Doubletree. <BR> <BR>Unfamiliar w/ Johhny's. Anybody? Meg? <BR>Anybody? Bueller? Only Johnny I recall is Johnny White's sports bar. <BR> <BR>We def. have NOLA on the 2001 travel schedule since this may be the last year the 49ers play there since they may be changing divisions in 2002. <BR> <BR>May have to get a second job since the 49ers play at Chicago and New York, too. <BR> <BR>Mahalo and 341 more days! <BR>Kal

Brenda Jan 25th, 2001 09:05 AM

Johnny's is on St. Louis street. It was recommended to us as the place the locals go to eat. We did go there - not fancy but very good. <BR>

Julie Jan 25th, 2001 09:32 AM

I like Maspero's. It's across Decatur from Jax Brewery. There are two Maspero's. The one with sandwiches is across from Jax on the corner, it is not the one near Paul Prudhommes on Royal. <BR>

Meg Jan 29th, 2001 01:59 PM

Johnny's is okay, but it's not Mother's. I've never been to the Johnny's on St. Louis, but I think the same people run the one in the CBD - can't remember the street. Verte Mart is the place on Royal and Ursulines that someone above mentioned - it's good, but still not Mother's. Mother's is high - I think a shrimp po-boy set us back $10 or so last time we were there. Another good place - at which I have never eaten but my husband has - is Euglesich's (I think I spelled that right) on Baronne on the other side of the CBD - not the best area, and the place is a dive, but their Friday seafood is legendary. Enjoy!

Tony Jan 30th, 2001 07:20 AM

Johnny's is my favorite....no doubt about it. <BR> <BR>Its got that "hole-in-the-wall" atmosphere that makes it a great place for lunch. <BR> <BR>My mouth is watering just thinking about it, <BR>-Tony

keith Jan 30th, 2001 10:38 AM

Mothers definitely, close to the Quarter, great atmosphere and food. My favorite PB there is soft shell crab. For the best seafood, PBs included (oyster, shrimp, etc) try Uglesichs- BUT take a cab! ACME makes a pretty mean Oyster PB also

iko iko Jan 30th, 2001 11:52 AM

You are getting top drawer advice. Uglesich's rock and ACME is always a trip even though Keith the toothless oyster shucker is gone. *Do* take a cab to Uglesich's... oh man, soft shell crab... <BR> <BR>Daaaaamn...now I'm hungry...

x Aug 5th, 2002 08:04 AM

ttt

J Correa Aug 5th, 2002 08:29 AM

MOTHER'S !!!!<BR><BR>We walked over there from the down river side of the Quarter, which is quite a hike, esspecially on a hot and humid day, but the Ferdi sandwich was worth every step.