Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   PNW Trip Report Part 2 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pnw-trip-report-part-2-a-462610/)

kimamom Jul 26th, 2004 01:51 PM

PNW Trip Report Part 2

Here's the rest of the story! LOL Tuesday we headed over to Cannon Beach for the day. We found a really nice part of the beach there, closer to Haystack Rock that we really like.

Actually, the closer you get to "the rock" the better the scenery and beaches are. We had a wonderful day, relaxing and walking the beach. My hubby and daughter walked out to Haystack and spent some time snorkeling around the rock and exploring while I took photos from the shore.

We got some beautiful photos here for our family Christmas card. After the beach thing, we walked through the shops and had a yummy piece of white chocolate cake with raspberry sauce at the Lazy Susan Cafe in downtown CB.

We went back to the beach cottage and relaxed, then went to dinner Kalypso in Seaside. Maybe they had a different chef this night, but it wasn't as good as when we were there a few weeks before. I had the linguine with seafood and my future DIL had the same, we weren't too impressed with this dish.

The steamed oysters for the app was very good and my son enjoyed his steak. We went to the turnaround to catch the sunset and got some really nice pictures of the newly engaged couple with the sun setting in the background.

Next day was spa day at the Columbia River Day Spa. I love this place. We had the pedicure and son and hubby had massages, my daughter had a manicure. The owner is so gracious, he offered one of us a complimentary algae soak in the hydrotherapy tub since one of us would have to wait awhile.

I let my daughter have this, and she loved it. Said her skin was silky smooth. The pedicures were wonderful, almost two hours of pampering, massaging and lathing our feet with soaks and wraps. Ask for Jaymie, she is very professional. Guys loved their massages, and future DIL decided she wanted one too!

I had almost made reservations at the Stephanie Inn for 6:00 but was glad I didn't. We didn't get out of the spa until almost 6:00, no one wanted to leave! LOL

Kids headed off to pizza while we decided on the 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview, WA since we enjoyed it so much last time. Again, a wonderful experience and a full house on a Wed. night. The wild salmon was wonderful with our Chateau Benoit Pinot Noir. (Full report on Chowhound) about the cafe. www.42ndstreetcafe.com is the website.

We were able to catch the beautiful sunset heading back over the bridge which was just gorgeous. A perfect day in the PNW!!

Next day was a full beach day, in gorgeous Seaside. Down by Avenue U it is gorgeous, and you can escape the crowds down by the turnaround. Very nice waves for boogey-boarding and body surfing which all the kids and dad love. (No, not me, LOL) We spent the entire afternoon relaxing, snacking and soaking up the sun.

Another gorgeous part of the beach here is Avenue 12, and down by 15th street, we have our own private stretch of beach there. Some day I hope to be an official beach bum!!

Everyone wanted our last meal together to be in Astoria at the Ship Inn for that delicious halibut. I like their WA Columbia Crest Riesling here. We also discovered the shrimp salad, which my hubby and I share. It's great, with LOTS of fresh, bay shrimp.

The next day, we all met at The Pig n Pancake in Seaside for breakfast before the 14 hour drive home. This place was packed at 7:00 am!! I ordered the little pigs n a blanket which were very good and drenched them with boysenberry syrup. Yum! We got piggie souvenirs for our friends and hit the road!!

Next stop, Nordstrom's to return some stuff. Who can leave OR without one last stop here, LOL!! We took the short tram ride to our car and hit the road again

Down in Southern OR, I have always wanted to do some wine tasting. We had time for two stops. First, the Abacela Winery where we picked up some Grenache and Viognier. Very nice. I noticed they sell these wines at the Cannery Cafe in Astoria also.

Next stop was the Paschal Winery in Talent, OR, just outside of Ashalnd. This is a destination winery. Gorgeous tasting room with panoramic views of the vineyards and lounge and deck here. I had tasted their Pinot Gris at the Peerless a couple of months back and wanted to pick of some of this. We also like one of their Pinot Noir Reserves that we purchased to celebrate a birthday coming up!

Back home to a wedding, church camp and water polo practices! Looking forward already to my next trip back to the PNW which I hope will include some time in the Wine Country around the Salem area and a few days in Seattle!! ***kim*** :)

Fodorite018 Jul 26th, 2004 02:02 PM

We had lunch at the Lazy Susan Cafe a couple weeks ago. We sat on the deck since we had our golden with us, and it was very enjoyable.

kimamom Jul 26th, 2004 02:09 PM

Yep, that's where we sat, also! Our three Vizslas stayed home this time. How is the food at the Lazy Susan Cafe? As good as Cafe Mango? They make a very nice halibut dish there that I enjoyed out on their VERY small deck. ***kim***

Fodorite018 Jul 26th, 2004 06:29 PM

We just had hamburgers there, but they were good, lol!

At least you were here for the Nordstrom sale. I was there the first day, but need to get dh in there asap for more work clothes.

kimamom Jul 26th, 2004 07:37 PM

Isn't the shopping great in this area? My daughter found a gorgeous dress in Nordstrom's that had black and white polka dot ribbon straps, silk bodice with pastel umbrellas on it and a wool plaid pastel bottom. She tried it on and it was a little too big, thank goodness for $180 NOS!!! Sure was gorgeous, tho! ***kim***