Plymouth: Plantation & Eats

May 16th, 2002, 05:38 AM
klam

Plymouth: Plantation & Eats

Would like to do a daytrip to Plymouth, and take a whale watching tour and visit the Plimouth Plantation.

The PP website suggests 4 hrs to see the whole thing. I'm wondering whether we can do both things in one day. Has anyone been to the PP before? Is 4 hrs accurate? (We won't have any kids with us.) Also, apart from their themed feasts, do they have a concession stand/place to grab a bite?

Also, any specific places for yummy lobster while we're there?

Any suggestions appreciated.

May 16th, 2002, 06:00 AM
bennie

Can't comment on Plimouth Planation or the whale watch but there are several lobster shacks on the harbor in Plymouth. All are good - All will serve lobster, steamers etc. I would avoid Weathervane - its just a big chain restaurant. The Lobster Hut had beige siding and lots of seating and good food and was well maintained. The other has weathered gray siding and less seating but also good food. (I believe its called Woods Seafood)

Check out www.visit-plymouth.com for info on food and whale watches.

May 16th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Big Red

Went to Plymouth last year.

You could spend all day at the Plantation if it strikes you interesting or you could just walk through it quickly if it doesn't. There is an Indian area as well as the re-created colony. It will take a while to get through the museum and the artisan area. I would alot a half day to it.

Also make some time to visit the Mayflower replica which is downtown. (by "The Rock") It's included in your PP ticket price.

There is a concession area in the main buiding. It serves homestyle food if I remember correctly.

As to lobster, don't make the mistake we did and go to the Weathervane...it's a Red Lobster type establishment. The one you should go to is right by it called the Lobster Hut which I think is a chain in New England. It's not fancy...it's almost fast-food like...but it was some of the best lobster I've had.

I would alot two days to do Plymouth.

May 16th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Suzy

We used to have a membership to Plimoth Plantation. Four hours is plenty for most people, unless you get caught up in craft demonstrations or in conversations with the historic characters, which is easy to do and also lots of fun. I'd do the whale watch as early as possible, then go to PP so you don't have to worry about the time. The Mayflower ship is also interesting, and you can get a joint ticket for the ship and PP to save $.

May 17th, 2002, 05:41 AM
klam

Thanx a mint for your info and suggestions. I'm looking forward to my visit!

May 17th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Bob

For the whale watching we took our out of Provincetown and loved that little town so much we stayed and extra day ( we had a room in boston). YOU WILL LOVE THE WHALE WATCHING!!!!