Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Pls. help-specifics on Kauai Marriott & Sheraton (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/pls-help-specifics-on-kauai-marriott-and-sheraton-456539/)

iowagirl Jul 5th, 2004 06:26 PM

Pls. help-specifics on Kauai Marriott & Sheraton

My husband and I are looking at booking a 1-week trip to Kauai for Feb. 2005. Have been to Maui (Kaanapali Beach) several times and want to explore a new island. I've narrowed it down to either the Sheraton on Poipu or the Marriott on Kalapaki Beach. Both have the amenities we're looking for but I have a few specific questions I can't figure out from web sites:

1) how close is each hotel to good snorkeling, i.e., right out the back door, or a hike down the beach..?

2) how close is a grocery/ABC store to each (walking or driving distance)?

3) any suggestions for good whale watching tours/areas on Kauai?

4) any other suggestions from those who have been to one or both...?

Thanks very much!

Shereebie Jul 6th, 2004 09:21 AM

Hi Iowagirl: we stayed at the Kauai Marriott about 2 years ago and loved it. It's situated on Kalapaki Bay, so you're not really 'on the ocean' but it's still lovely.
We snorkleled at Lydgate, so I can't tell you much about snorkling there in the bay at the hotel, but snorkeling equipment is available for rental right near Duke's, there on the property. Duke's is just a short walk down the way from the pool and I believe there's a new restaurant over Duke's now - Italian, I think?

There's an ABC store not far from the hotel, but other than that, there isn't much within walking distance of the Marriott. We took our car almost everywhere we went. There is a WalMart as well as a KMart in, I believe, Lihue and neither are far - but you'd still drive.

The hotel itself is lovely, the staff was wonderful, and the beds in the rooms are to die for. They actually used to sell the beds, they got so many requests for them. The resort is very large, and if you didn't want to ever leave the grounds, you wouldn't have to. The Kalapaki Beach Hut is wonderful for lunch, and the hotel's restaurant isn't bad either. If you visit the bar, try a 'Tai Chi' - good stuff!

We adored Kauai and are going back ASAP. It's beautiful, the people are lovely, and the feeling of total peace you get while there cannot be described in words. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Have a wonderful time, no matter where you choose to go!

iowagirl Jul 7th, 2004 05:56 PM

Thanks, Shereebie. Is that a "disadvantage" to stay on a bay and not on the ocean? I guess all I have to compare to is Kaanapali and am afraid of being disappointed....? There, we enjoyed viewing the whales, sunsets, etc. right out the hotel back door. Is this the case at the Marriott?

We also got by on Maui with barely using the rental car, but I'm learning that a car is a must on Kauai, correct?

Thanks for your advice!

BrendaM Jul 7th, 2004 09:21 PM

Hi, I'll just add a little information that may help you with your decision.
The Marriott is probabaly more upscale and more "resorty" than the Sheraton, and is much larger. There are more amenities there, such as a large pool, golf course. The Sheraton is a smaller, and older resort, but is situated right directly on Poipu Beach, one of the most acclaimed beach areas in Hawaii. There are more opportunities to see whales, snorkle and the beach there is a sandy cresent which is easily swimmable and lovely to catch a few rays. Poipu Beach is a series of cresent shaped beaches that you can walk to from the Sheraton. Also the sunsets from the Sheraton are first rate. There are lots of restaurants close by in the Poipu area, some within walking distance, some you would want to drive to. If you do decide to choose the Sheraton, be sure you ask for the rooms on the ocean side as there are 2 parts to the hotel, and the Garden rooms are across the street from the ocean in another building. The pool is here is average, but the ocean beach makes up for it in my opinion.

Mary2Go Jul 8th, 2004 04:52 PM

You may want to consider the Marriott Waiohai on Kauai. It is on Poipu Beach, you can snorkel right in front of the hotel. There is a small convenience type store within walking distance and a grocery store about 15 minutes away. Don't know about whale watching! When we stayed last August I talked to several people who were from the other Marriot on Kauai who were looking at the new resort as a possiblity to buy or trade timeshare time. They seemed to be very impressed. I really enjoyed the location and the hotel was gorgeous. We also enjoyed taking the ATV tour at Kipu Ranch. Have a great trip!

soquel Jul 8th, 2004 07:56 PM

We stayed at the Sheraton in May and had a beach view room with balcony. We loved the view and the sounds of the waves, it is really right on the beach (as long as you don't get the garden view rooms). It looked like the ocean view rooms, which were more of the rocky coast but now the sand, were great too. The food is not great there though, but great restaurants and groceries are nearby. The rooms aren't fancy, we later stayed at the Hayatt and Princeville, but they were fine. We stayed there mainly to be right on the beach for a few days. I don't know about the Marriott. Is that the one that is right by the airport?

Shereebie Jul 9th, 2004 10:09 AM

Yes, Soquel, that's the one!

Iowagirl, we saw plenty of people swimming and snorkeling in the bay during our stay. We had an 'ocean view' room, and the view was gorgeous - overlooks the pool and the bay, and the beautiful mountains. One of our favorite things to do was sit out on our balcony in the early mornings, having Kona coffee and watching the clouds clear over the mountains.

I would say yes, you will most definitely need a car while on Kauai.

The pool at the Marriott is fantastic, and HUGE, and the hot tubs are rather private and nice. The one main drawback I noticed is that a lot of local families seem to visit the Marriott for use of the pool and beach. I didn't mind this much, but other hotel guests commented on it quite a bit. You will see people around the resort that aren't staying there, for sure.

I have read both good and bad reviews about the Marriott on Kauai - but we personally loved it. If you go online looking for reviews, you'll probably read complaints about the noise from the nearby Lihue airport, but we never noticed that - even when we were at the resort during the day, swimming or dining.

We plan on doing things differently next time we visit Kauai - we'd like to rent a condo this time around - but the Marriott was fantastic for us on that trip (we were there for our best friends' wedding) and we enjoyed it very much.

Hope this helps some, Iowagirl! Good luck!

JackieSun Jul 9th, 2004 10:17 PM

Whale watching is focused on Maui. Learned that lesson the hard way. Don't expect great whale watching in Kauai. You will see a few, but nothing like Maui.

CaliNurse Jul 10th, 2004 12:38 AM

Near the Sheraton, there's a Whalers Store (much like ABC) in Poipu Shopping Village. It's abot a 5 minute drive from the Sheraton.
I just returned from third trip to Kauai and IMHO, can't imagine why anyone would choose to stay at the Marriott on Kalapaki Bay, unless you got some incredible bargain rate. (They do have lots of deals for prospecive timeshare buyers). We ate at Duke's (which was overpriced and had a much -publicized but pathetic salad bar!) and walked around afterward. The public areas of the hotel were big, noisy, loads of loud people around the pool area. It was quite a hike from the parking lot to the hotel. If you want a big hotel, there are others on Kauai that are sooo much nicer (e.g. Hyatt) True,Kalapaki Beach IS gorgeous, but I don't recall any snorkelling activity there.
For snorkeling, you'd prefer the Sheraton since there is snorkeling at Poipu Beach, and at Lawai.
The idea to check out the new Marriott at Waiohai is an excellent one. Maybe you can call Marriott and say you are interested in a timeshare, and get cheap rates for the Waiohai. It is right on Poipu Beach, adjacent to the Poipu State Beach Park area.

Shar Jul 18th, 2004 02:32 PM

The Sheraton on Poipu had a total renovation after the last hurricane and was closed for quite awhile. I stayed there after the reno a few years ago in an ocean front room. The room was large and very lovely - not elegant but very nice with all the things one needs - refrig. iron, hairdryer, etc. and the view from our balcony was wonderful, beach, pool, magnificient sunset. My husband and I stayed there for a few days of R & R before the whole family came over for a 7 night stay in a Princeville house we rented. We Didn't eat at the Sheraton but took advantage of the free show and rather pathetic free pupus. The Sheraton is very close to the poipu shopping center which has several shops including a small ABC type store which has everything one needs. Keoki's Paradise (?) is in the shopping center which has a lot of atmosphere but food so so. Roy's is also there and has wonderful food but you will pay! Make reservations before you leave home to insure a good table at Roy's. There are several whale watching tours check out the Kauai Activity book when you arrive if no one has a suggestion for you. I have taken one but can't remember the name. It was small and we were treated to quite a whale show. This time I am taking in the the very touristy Movie Tour as several have told me it is fun Oh well, can't take the tourist out of me! You might enjoy a kayak tour up the river and then a hike into the falls for a cooling swim under the water fall. IMO the best snorkeling is at Ke'e beach and also with Captain Andy's Snorkeling excursion. Great boat rde out and very fun crew. It is an all day excursion and againif you are interested book early. He fills up fast. I believe we make reservations via web prior to leaving home. Aloha. we are heading back in September to Poipu it has been a while since we have fallen in love with the Princeville and Hanalei area and seem to end up there a lot.