Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pls Help me find a GOOD hotel in Oahu and Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 06:31 AM
celso

Hi! I've been reading a lot of the postings by fellow travelers and have found ALOT of it useful, but I am still at a loss of where to stay without going bankrupt.

The places most people suggest are running at LEAST $350 a night for a crappy view and upwards of $400-500 for an ocean view.

I plan to stay in OAHU first for 3 nights, then hop over to MAUI for my last 3 nights.

The best things I have heard are:

OAHU - Kuala Mandarin - looks nice, but $$$$
Ihilani - looks a little better, $$$$
Halekulani - very nice, also $$$$$

MAUI - Four Seasons - $500-600!!!!
Grand Wailea - $400

I dont want to be cheap, but fact is we probably will only SLEEP here and not spend a whole lot of time farting around the room.

Maybe I will elect a "cheap" place in OAHU for about $150 a night and then go all out on Maui? Probably run me then about 3 x $150 = $450 (Oahu) + 3 x $400 = $1200 (Maui) = $1600 + taxes, etc = $1800 - $2000... right about my budget..

Help?

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 08:56 AM
annemarie

Okay, why don't you try these...in Oahu look into the Sheraton Moana Surfrider for rates...Sheraton used to have some sort of membership program where you can save on room rates so that could help. Another property that shouldn't cost over 150.00 is the Hawaiian Regent...sort of b quality beside the Pacific Beach and the Holiday Inn but in an excellent location right across from the beach. In Maui...phone the Renaissance Wailea in Wailea and ask for their entertainment rate for the time needed and if you like it, book it...you can get a card later...I have the 800 number here if you end up needing it...by the way, the Regent also gives a good entertainment rate so ask for it(110.00 last year). Let me know if this helpa and feel free to email me for more info.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 09:28 AM
Cheryl Z.

You're right about not spending the whole time in the room so it doesn't have to be the fanciest or priciest, and you can find better alternatives to the three you mentioned. And you don't have to have the most perfect or complete view - no matter where you go anyway just around the islands you'll be surrounded by incredible views. How about getting an Entertainment book (mentioned often on here) and using the 50% discount at an Outrigger?? We've done that often in the last few years, generally opting for a cheaper Outrigger (same theory - don't spend much time in the room) and paid $50.00-$60.00 night for decent/acceptable/convenient/clean/necessary amenities room. Last month, we decided to splurge (mainly my husband wanted to do this for me since I hadn't felt well and was kinda stressed out about some stuff) - Instead of getting one of the cheaper Outriggers, we used the 50% discount for a room with balcony and view facing the water/Diamond Head at the Outrigger Reef. I believe it was a $360.00 room (which we would never do!) so it was $l80.00, then when we checked in, my kind and thoughtful husband discussed upgrades with the desk clerk
and we ended up getting a corner suite, very nicely appointed, two balonies, wonderful view (#520) with Voyager Club amenities. It was $200.00 night using the Entertainment discount. (and it would have been more but my hubby slipped the guy a $20.00 bill).
Re the three you mention: Unless one does spend a lot of time in the room and specific hotel amenities are important, I see no reason to pay that kind of money, especially at the Halekalani - very small, congested pool area (NO room to re-arrange your lounge chair) and virtually no beach in front of it, little teeny beach area off to the side.
And it's stuck in between the Reef and the huge Sheraton Waikiki. The other two you mention do have lovely beaches, are more remote so a car is needed. We've eaten at all three and checked out the rooms/prices, and I just don't think it's worth paying that kind of money for what you get. Then again, if it's a first trip, a honeymoon or something special, then maybe it's worth it to someone else. Also, I do remember another poster a few months ago mentioning the Ihilani policy of closing off the entire pool/patio area to rest of guests if there's a wedding or something going on, but they weren't told in advance.
Anyway, just some thoughts and I hope you have a terrific time no matter what you choose.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 09:29 AM
celso

Annemarie -

Thanks for the TIP!! I called the renaissance (after looking at their website) and booked a "partial oceanview" at the "rendevouz" rate with breakfast and car for $249 a night!!!! AMAZING.

THANK YOU.

I also "harrased" the people at the ihilani resort into a "discovery" rate (oceanview also!!) with a car for $349... great considering everything else comparable was $400-500 with no other amenities...

So my grand total looks to be about (Oahu = $1047) + (Maui = $ 747) = $1794
+ 11.4166% for room and state taxes

= $ 1988 RIGHT ON TARGET!!

Not bad considering the quality of hotels that I got.

Now unless someone has some other DEAL OF THE CENTURY, I can always change plans... my first nights deposit are refundable all the way up to 48hr prior...

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 09:41 AM
celso

hmmm... the two of you mentioned an "entertainment" rate... I dont wish to sound ignorant, but how do get I one of those? Is it something I get from a magazine, membership, or is it some unpublished password into getting a great rate?

I think I will call both back and "mention" it... but will they ask me if I have a special discount number or something like that???

Thanks, you have both been helpful!

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 12:21 PM
annemarie

Sounds like you have done well! I have been looking all over for my 800 number for the company called(I think) Entertainment Publications...actually try calling 800 for info and see if you can get anywhere...I do have the book though so email me if this produces no info for you. The book cost about 30.00 and with it you receive a card that entitles you to hotel discounts, car rental discounts worldwide. You can don one of 2 things...order the book for your hometown area if it exists and use the card worldwide or order the book for Hawaii and use the discounts for tourists attractions. At one time the Hawaiian book had a half price special for interisland flights for the second person flying...cal the 800 at Aloha and asks if they still do this as well. You will not be unhappy with the Renaissance...great evening restaurant and poolside restaurants plus good possibilites at surrounding resorts. Your rate sound really good, but I would call back and ask for the entertainment rate...they do not need any number you just have to produce it when you check in. I save money with the view as well..I always go mountainview. As for your Oahu property...I know nothing about it, but you do realize it is not directly in Waikiki don't you? Just checking! Hope this helps!

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Anna

You can order the Entertainment book through their website:
www.entertainment.com

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 01:33 PM
Cheryl Z.

Entertainments email is [email protected]
Web site is www.entertainmentbook.com
They have several 800 #'s , to order an out-of town edition, it's l-800-374-4464.
What city do you live in?? Most cities have their own book, we get Seattle's each year - it's $30.00 a year I think. They're sold all over, often as fundraisers or by civic groups or schools. A card comes with it. We use the Seattle book/card to reserve the hotel rooms, then in Hawaii get the local Hawaii book (at the Aquarium in Waikiki - $35.00 this last time) and use that for restaurant deals etc while we're in Hawaii. It pays for itself after two dinners or so. It's ideal for people who travel alot as well as for people who eat out alot. Car rental, airlines, hotels, restaurants, fast food, sightseeing etc. etc.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 01:45 PM
annemarie

Actually you don't have to wait until you get to the Aquarium to get the Hawaiian book...just order it by mail.

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 01:52 PM
Lani

Celso,

You have gotten outstanding advice from the above posters so I'll only add that I think the Ihilani, however wonderful it is, is still pretty expensive when you consider what you can do with an Entertainment Card at the Outrigger Waikiki or the Outrigger Reef on the Beach (where Cheryl stayed). They are fabulous locations, and you could get an outstanding room there with the E. Card for less than $200 - Outriggers have a really good reputation for giving you your money's worth.

And the Renaissance is heaven! You won't go wrong there! And that price for room, car and breakfast is really quite good. I know the Renaissance is heavily booked for the year already, due to the Marriott Kaanapali, it's sister hotel, being renovated. So it will be harder than usual to get the discount rates at certain times.

Have a wonderful trip!

Aloha, Lani

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 02:58 PM
celso

WOW, I never thought I would have this many people trying to help. I thank all of you for it.

Anna/Annemarie: I currently live in Phoenix, AZ and will definitely look into that Entertainment web site and see if I can snatch a copy... maybe locally I am sure we have one.

Lani: Yes, I do think I scored with the Renaissance, and yes, most of their rooms are gone for mid May when I intend to go. As far as the Ihilani is concerned, I am definitely taking your advise to heart and am having some second thoughts. Maybe the price is a little too steep @ $349 a night. I have found the Outrigger web site and will definitely inquire what I can get.

Any opinions on which one is the best? Should I get what Cheryl recommended? Or is there something maybe better in anyone's opinion? I am looking for somewhere I can relax, but dont want to be in the middle of nowhere. A resort atmosphere is a must.

I can see that there are several on Oahu:

1) Outrigger Waikiki (resort?)
2) Outrigger Reef (resort?)
3) Outrigger Waikiki Short (resort condo?)
4) Outrigger East (hotel?)
5) Outrigger Islander Waikiki (hotel?)

THANKS AGAIN!!

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 03:27 PM
celso

WOW. Thank you Anna/AnneMarie/Lani/Cheryl!!!

I went ahead and cancelled my reservation at the Ihilani and made a reservation for an oceanfront room at the Outrigger Reef for $400 a night, with the "entertainment" 50% discount its only $200!!!!!!

I am soo happy I can kiss all of you.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice. Now I think I will have some cash left over to eat! ;>

If any of you ever plan on coming to Las Vegas/Grand Canyon/Phoenix area, drop me an email, I've done the trip a million times and always take my family/friends when they come and visit.

-Cels

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 06:46 PM
kalena

Not to interfere with all this kissing (and I'm pleased you've gotten such good advice here), I'd like to add that the Outriggers are a good mid range option, but to me, they are not a "resort experience". Depends on what you mean by that. For being in the middle of the Waikiki scene, they are just fine, and a lot of our friends stay in Outriggers when they visit Honolulu. If you want to sightsee in Honolulu and get to the Windward side of the island, the Outriggers are a great choice. By the way, this month's issue of Elle DECOR has a great article titled Honolulu, Oh!, with good sightseeing and dining tips while on Oahu. Have fun!

On behalf of the Ihilani, which is perhaps not what you have in mind because of its location on the Waianae Coast 20 miles from Waikiki, to us, it is not "in the middle of nowhere". It is in the middle of the azure Pacific Ocean, and dolphins swim at nearby Makua. As Honoluluans, when we want a weekend get-away, we head there (or to an outer-island). I did read that some posters have felt the Ihilani was too far from Honolulu for effective sightseeing, and while I agree with that, but at the Ihilani you would find more of a "resort experience". Their day-spa and golf course are very nice, and people that go there should expect spend their time doing just that. I, too, read the post a while back about the unfortunate experience a guest had with the pool closing, and with the unresponsive attitude from the staff. That is unexcusable. However, I'd like to add that in all our stays at the Ihilani (about four times now, and separate visits to their dining rooms), we've never had any experience approximating that. In fact, we've always enjoyed ourselves there.
Well, I don't want to srir up any controversy, just suggest that different travelers can have different experiences, and it's too bad that bad experiences happen at all... The Ihilani does get very busy sometimes, but that should not be an excuse for poor or unresponsive service. We've just not had that experience ourselves.

As far as busy goes, Waikiki itself is HOPPING this weekend, with the Pro-Bowl in town. I'm sure that as a result, things are more hectic than usual.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation, and return again to do what you missed this time around. By the way, have a great time on Maui, too! It is a gorgeous island...
Aloha,
-k

Old Feb 6th, 2000, 07:10 PM
kalena

Oops...should read "while I agree with that, at the Ihilani..."
To Annemarie, Anna, Cheryl and Lani, I commend you for your searching out such great rates, and for maximizing value via Entertaoinment Books, etc. That is the approach I take when I travel elsewhere: I basically immerse myself in travel guides (good picks on that earlier post annemarie), surf the web extensively, and read travel reviews in magazines such as Travel and Leisure, Gourmet, etc. The more you know about a destination, the better off you'll be, and the more you'll enjoy your experience. It 's good to cross-check, and to know your sources. I don't comparison -shop much about hotel rates that apply to mainland residents, because we get kamaaina rates. So you won't find me giving suggestions on rates on this forum, since different rules apply to us locals. But I'm always happy to pass on my impressions and recommendations, in the context of sharing what Hawaii offers. Granted, ultimately it's your own taste that will guide you, and the more information you have, the better you can plan.
That's what's fun about this forum...so many voices, and so many people willing to help!
Aloha,
-k

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Cheryl Z.

Celso, glad to help. Would like to point out I do agree with Kalena's observations about Waikiki hotels not really being "resort" experience. But then again it depends on one's interpretation of that too. I think you can find more of that in Maui and the other islands. By the way, the Outrigger Reef does have pool-side massage, $l.00 a minute and there's an outdoor jacuzzi by the pool too.
Very relaxing.

Old Feb 7th, 2000, 09:13 AM
Lani

Celso,

We are all so glad that we can help, and it's so nice of you to let us know that you appreciate us! (If I may speak for "all of us" - Cheryl, Annemarie, Anna, Kalena............)

And yes, Kalena does have a point about what people expect from a "resort experience" and there are different interpretations of that. I feel that just being in one of the Waikiki hotels right on the beach, with all the amenities, especially with the outdoor bars & music, is one kind of "resort experience." Then another kind is being at the Four Seasons Wailea, being pampered beyond belief, which is wonderful, but of course, you do pay for it. Every person is different, I only like to be really pampered when I'm sick, so Outrigger Waikiki, e.g., would be fine for me, but maybe not for someone else. Then I love to just BE at the Renaissance Wailea, which is not the resort experience that Four Seasons is, but still wonderful!

I say it often! I just think it's hard to go wrong in Hawaii -

Aloha to all of you,

Lani