Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please suggest hotel for 4 people approx $50 per person/per night! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-suggest-hotel-for-4-people-approx-50-per-person-per-night-477091/)

JennaJ Sep 27th, 2004 08:04 PM

Please suggest hotel for 4 people approx $50 per person/per night!

I am looking for 1 of 2 options. 2 people per room at $100 or a suite for 4 or more people (no more than $50 pp). Any suggestions? It's for a Saturday evening. I know the city well and can get around. Location doesn't matter, as long as we remain below 95th. Thanks!

Tandoori_Girl Sep 27th, 2004 08:09 PM

95th parallel?

JennaJ Sep 27th, 2004 08:22 PM

Yes, staying above 95th will be way to far from where we plan to go out that evening. Midtown or below is preferable. Thanks!

Suzie Sep 27th, 2004 08:38 PM

Jenna you do know that we are not aware of what state or city you are referring to? There is no city in your heading nor in your post. Could you enlighten us?

gracieb Sep 27th, 2004 08:49 PM

If this is NYC, take a look at Murray Hill East Suites. Someone on this board recommeded a hotel with East & Suites in the name. I checked on tripadvisor.com and the reviews are great!

WillTravel Sep 27th, 2004 10:48 PM

Try Hotwire, which now has a feature for entering the number of adults and children.

You might even be lucky with Priceline, if you book two rooms. The odds are against that low a price for NYC, though.

Anonymous Sep 28th, 2004 04:32 AM

I've stayed at Murray Hill East Suties and found it comfortable and homey. We paid $135 per night (thru Orbitz, I think ) in early July for a one-bedroom apartment with full kitchen, one king-size bed, and sofabed, but there are suites with 2 regular beds.

JennaJ Sep 28th, 2004 05:48 AM

Sorry, I thought I was on the NYC board. Yes this is for NYC. We would prefer 2 suites. I will check out Murry Hill. Keep the suggestions coming! Thank you!

gracieb Sep 28th, 2004 05:50 AM

JennaJ - do a search by entering "suite" or "suite hotels" and choose New York. You'll find a wealth of information and suggestions.

jlm_mi Sep 28th, 2004 06:17 AM

JennaJ - Just an FYI for future posts. Your mistake is a common one, and is the fault of fodor's posting setup.

But, there are no smaller boards. You can choose a search topic for your posts, so that anyone who chose to only see NY posts would have seen yours. Still, it is for NY state, not just the city. But, many (if not most) people who read here just look at the US posts. It would be too time consuming to view them state by state! :) All US posts are dumped into one forum, so that when you click "United States" from the travel talk main page, you see them all, no matter what search function was picked.

It's most helpful for you to put a city/state in your header so that you can be sure that the people who can help you won't bypass your post, and you'll get many replies! :)

fodors really should change the way the posting is done to fix this problem, though.

lvk Sep 28th, 2004 06:31 AM

Try www.affinia.com. Many hotels with suites, some with 2 bedroom suites. Also, travelzoo.com will tell you if any hotels are running promotions for you're particular weekend.

lvk Sep 28th, 2004 06:32 AM

of course I meant your, not you're.

mclaurie Sep 28th, 2004 07:08 AM

In midtown, it will be easier to find a suite that could sleep 4 for $200 than a decent room for 2 on a Sat night for $100 unless you're prepared to share a bath. The problem with the suite is people may have to share a bed.

You could check downtown if you're young and don't mind "funky". I noticed there's a Howard Johnson Express that gets quite good reviews on tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

There's also an Embassy Suites downtown that might work. What neighborhood will you be in? That could help with ideas.

wantsomesun Sep 28th, 2004 07:29 AM

The Travel Inn on W 42nd St would work for you and they even have a pool and free parking.

I would also suggest looking at www.hotels.com I have found GREAT prices there for recent trips I have taken and friends have used it here in NYC to get one of the nice hotels for a VERY reasonable cost.

JennaJ Sep 28th, 2004 07:45 AM

I have checked at least 12 hotels recommended on this site and none are available on October 9th! Any other suggestions for last minute hotels?

MFNYC Sep 28th, 2004 07:52 AM

CHeck affinia.com. Many of their hotels have suites, even with kitchens. Check the special offers on the website. We had family stay at the Shelburne MUrray Hill in 1 bedroom sauites (2 queen beds in the bedroom and a sofabed) Memorial Day weekend for $178 using the Grandparent SPecial offered on the affinia website.

JennaJ Sep 28th, 2004 08:08 AM

Unfortunately none of the affinia properties are available. Neither are the budget motels-embassy suites, comfort inn, hojo, etc.

MikeT Sep 28th, 2004 08:32 AM

Then you are probably out of luck and will not likely find anything cheap. It's a busy time of the year and NYC rates are high this fall.

You might consider going above 95th or into Brooklyn or Jersey.

lvk Sep 28th, 2004 08:34 AM

Quikbook.com? We used them for a last-minute NYC trip last weekend with good results.

Dreamer2 Sep 28th, 2004 08:54 AM

Are you phoning directly, or just using the internet? Pick 1 or 2 top choices, and make a phone call to the property (212), not a centralized booking number (800).

I'd also try Priceline. Just be careful, and read about how to use it at biddingfortravel.com, if you're a first timer!

Also, another poster here, Louise, stayed outside the city at the Crowne Plaza Secaucus for around $60 per night (for the room, not pp). She did have a 20 min train ride into the city, but it sounded like a great deal, and they may have something available if you don't want to pay more to stay in the city.