Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please share your opinion on the Broadway show "Mama Mia"

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:39 PM
Lisa

I am considering this show. Please tell me your opnion. Thanks.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
Gail

They call this the "feel good" show for a reason. We left that theater singing and dancing and feeling fantastic! It's not much of a story, but everyone is up in the aisles singing and dancing for the ending. I know some people who've seen it three times. If you want a fun time, go see it.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:13 PM
John

We saw it in Toronto and loved it. Yes, the plot is weak but the show is dynamic and the music infectious. Go and enjoy!

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:17 PM
Al

If the show is half as good as the CD, you will love it! We ran into ABBA doing a rock concert in Hanoi in December. Marvelous show! Great music!

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:49 AM
texasgirl

I saw it in London and loved it. And I never was much of an ABBA fan, even though they were really popular when I was in junior high and high school. (Then again, I knew almost every song in the show _ guess I liked them more than I thought I did....) Not great drama, but a lot of fun.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Lori

We've seen it twice in London and will see it again this spring - it's a fun show pure and simple. No major thinking involved just go and have a good time. You leave feeling happy. When that can happen in this world today it's a good thing. Sure the plot is "weak" but who cares, it's just fun. Go and enjoy it.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:25 PM

I thought about taking my 10 year old daughter. Is it appropriate for children?

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:15 PM
KenCT

Saw it in London last year, and in New York yesterday, and agree with all of the postings above. If, like me, you're of a certain age, ABBA has always been on the margins of you life, even if you weren't particularly into the music. So it's a delight remembering the songs in the context of the admittedly thin plot. I read recently that the composers would allow no changes in the lyrics, so it's particularly ingenious to discover how the songs are used.

As far as its appropriateness for a ten year old, I think it depends on the maturity of the child and your own level of morality. The plot does concern an unwed mother and a now-grown child with three possible fathers. If you're OK with that, then there's no problem. There sure are many kids in the audience.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:24 PM
KenCT

A question for those who have seen both the London and the New York productions: The sets appear to be identical, but I thought the costumes in New York, particularly those of the chorus and dancers, were more colorful. Could have been because in London I was in one of the front rows and was focused on the main actors. In New York I was in the mezzanine and had more of an overview.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Patrick

As a major theatre goer, I saw it in London, not New York. The sets were amateurish. The costumes were colorful but somewhat tacky and sometimes poorly coordinated (to create a total stage effect at once). The plot is corny, simple, and very contrived. The acting was OK, but nothing that would earn a major acting award. BUT. . . and here's the most important BUT of all -- it was probably the most fun I've had in the theatre in a very long time. It is simply one of the most entertaining, "feel good" shows you could ever hope to see. Just accept it as pure entertainment and you will be thrilled with it.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 04:15 AM
loangalsal

A friend and I took our 9 year old daughters, and all 4 of us had a wonderful time! There was only one or two times I though it was too "mature" for them, but it went right over their heads. I recommend it highly! Everyone I know who went enjoyed it also, and many went several times.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 05:42 AM
bennie

Lyn - My sister and I took our 9 and 10 year old daughters. We are definately on the conservative side when it comes to exposing our kids to "mature" themes - unwed mothers etc. Honestly the plot went right over their heads. However some of the dancing is highly suggestive. That didnt' thrill me but the music is great and I'm no ABBA fan. It was very funny also.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Jeanette

I saw it in Chicago and had great seats. It was a special treat for my birthday. We were a party of four and two of us have used Abba for aerobics routines for a long time. The guys (23 and 54 years old) didn't like it as much as my daughter and I did. They thought it was a chick flick show, and that some of the songs didn't fit the situations. My son who plays the 2 CD set of Abba Gold quite frequency especially was underwhelmed. He said he would have rather seen their songs done in medley- as at a concert. Oh well, you can't please them all.

I thought it was the happiest, most energizing, and good time show that I have seen in ages. Next time I'd like to see it with a bunch of my peers. Waterloo at the end- more than made up for the contrived or slow parts. Our costumes and scenery were terrific. It was at the Cadillac Palace and I got to see the Hotel Allegro too as it was been remodeled- (it's sort of attached next door.) Funky colors, and it would be fun to stay there if attending some shows at the Cadillac Palace.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Orlon

Stop considering and buy the tickets. We saw MM in SF and had the same reaction as most here - high drama it ain't, but it was terrifically fun. If you are in your 40's (or so...) it's sort of like a flashback without the chromosone damage.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Becky

Are there any discounted tickets available for this show? I have been watching the Playbill site for an upcoming trip, but haven't seen it there.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM
a.s.

I am a little bewildered by all the hoopla...it is just okay. Not bad, not good, and not nearly as energetically feel good as I'd hoped. (saw it in LA).

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:45 PM
Howard

Sorry, Becky, but it'll be quite a while before you'll be able to get discount tickets for this one.

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 08:15 PM
steve

I saw it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it! I didn't really think I'd like it that much since I was never an Abba fan and also had heard the story was hokey. But I was on my feet at the end "groovin'" to the music and even bought the CD which has made 2 road trips more enjoyable.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:44 AM
john

Saw it in London, Chicago, and Minneapolis...and it gets better each time. Don't hesitate, get your tickets now!