Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please see...Family seeking a nice town to live..

Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I grew up as a child in San Jose, CA (left at ten years old) and I have had a calling to come back to CA. I am now married with two small children and my mother. I'm done with the Northeast, it's time to come back. I am with a company located in El Segundo, and I think by transferring with the company it would give us a start. Here's the thing, I'm not sure if the cities around El Segundo is appropriate for us. I just recently viewed homes for sale, is it true, most houses aren't lower than $450K!? I'm getting discouraged, but I don't want to give my dream up to move back with my family. Please offer some information, should I move near the company I work for or should I move to a more affordable neighborhood (family atmosphere) and find a new job, if so...WHERE?!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:59 AM

It's true-- it's basically impossible to find a house in coastal California under $450K. Without knowing what you actually do, it's really hard to suggest alternatives (what's in El Segundo? Mattel? Lockheed? Boeing? Hmmm....). And with small kids, your commute time becomes a very pressing quality-of-life issue. Therefore, I'd be focused on living as close to work as possible. Or working from home.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I work with Davita
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

I currently do telecommute, but for the East coast, not sure if the company would allow me to do the same considering the time zones. I am concerned about moving near a high crime area and not realizing it! Yikes.
I am clueless to the areas of CA. I know the cost of living is higher than PA and I understand wages are higher as well. Here we would possibly buy a home for $200-250k with a household income of about $85 or more (my husband is a carpenter). I was hoping to move and rent a house for under $2000 (3 bdrm) and nice area to walk the babies.
If it really came down to it I would relocate not based on the company I'm with now, but for location. I would really like to raise my children in CA, there is so much more opportunity than in this area or gross Philadelphia, yuk!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:27 PM

Didn't you get a lot of replies to this question when you posted before?

You will not be able to buy a house, any house, or even a condo for that amount. You might find a rental house, try southbayrentals.com and dailybreeze.com as previously suggested.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I did receive a few great responses, in search for more. Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Opinions regarding "Lomita" area? Rent appears to be reasonable..
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM

Lomita? Inexpensive for a reason. I wouldn't be looking there.

Look, I love living here in southern CA, but then again, I don't have children. You have to really look carefully not only at the neighborhood but at the school district, right down to the schools your kids most likely will be attending. I mean, if I had high-school age kids I'd be really leery about sending them to the high school nearest my house (low discipline, a few too many junior stoners for my taste). And I'm living in one of the last "reasonably-priced" suburban areas in southern CA (east Long Beach), not ritzy by any means but still fairly pricey (median home prices are over $550K now).

I happen to like eastern PA, by the way. There are plenty of opportunities in the Megalopolis. Your kids may end up venturing to DC or NYC, but hey-- you may be best staying put and not uprooting them.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 01:23 PM

I didn't see your previous post that someone referred to, but El Segundo is a nice little neighborhood. Is rent too high? If you could telecommute, consider moving north about 3 hours to the central coast. It is a wonderful place to raise a family, low crime, good schools, and more affordable housing than the LA area. Don't get me wrong, prices are still high, but you will get something nicer and newer for your money. I know many people commute from the Valencia area but I wouldn't recommend that. It is hot, hot, hot there. Consider Thousand Oaks , Newbury Park, Camarillo (Coulc commute from here), Ventura, Santa Maria, San Luis Obispo if you can telecommute. I had a friend who worked from home via computer and went in once a week to LA and she lived in Ventura. Ventura is a great town. Just some ideas for you- good luck!
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM

kathudson, if you do find a house to rent you can go to the local police station and get crime stats. You can also get stats regarding the school(s) your children would be attending. Their is a website for CA schools, but sorry I don't know it. Imagine you could find it on Google.

Ventura is a lovely city..but prices have gone up there too. Even in heavy crime areas (at least in the SF/Bay area) prices have really gone up these last years.

I would check things out a lot before moving to California. It is a very expensive state to live in. I would leave except that my family is here and up and down the westcoast. I don't mean to be negative but CA is probably not like it was when you were growing up. Best wishes to you.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:47 PM
lvk

You have received great advice here and on your other thread. You should really spend at least a week here touring the neighborhoods that you can afford to see if they are in line with your idealized expectations of the California you once knew.

There are parts of Lomita that are nice (The Rolling Ranchos neighborhood, for example, is practically in Palos Verdes), but like all other places, the lower-cost housing will be in less than desirable neighborhoods. Lomita schools area also part of LAUSD.

If you're still considering the South Bay, I'll throw out these neighborhoods to check out:

Torrance: South Torrance, West Torrance, Old Torrance, Hollywood Riviera. Stay away from areas called "Torrance P.O."

San Pedro: (LAUSD) Point Fermin, South Shores, Holy Trinity, Vista del Oro

Rancho Palos Verdes: The area annexed from San Pedro around Western Ave., might have townhomes/condos in your price range. The bonus is that you would be in the Palos Verdes school district.

Hawthorne - DelAire and Hollyglen.

Harbor City - Harbor Pines

Areas I would stay away from: Lawndale, Inglewood, Wilmington.

I don't think El Segundo or the beach cities have anything in your price range.

You might also need to cast a wider net to include areas that will require a longer commute. Cerritos, Lakewood, etc.

There is good news, however. If your husband is a skilled carpenter, he should have no problems finding a job immediately in the South Bay area.

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 12:50 PM
lvk

Oops, I meant to imply that these areas might have homes TO RENT for around $2k/month, not to buy for under $450k.

Good luck!
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
trippinkpj

You may want to have a discussion with your employer first to see if you can telecommute part of the time. That could impact where you live.