Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please review Washington DC itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-review-washington-dc-itinerary-419181/)

dougieshoney Apr 5th, 2004 09:41 AM

Please review Washington DC itinerary

My husband and I will be in Washington DC in a few weeks. Part of the time I will be busy at a conference. Please review our intentions for the remaining free time. We would welcome any input as to whether we have planned too much (or too little) for any day. We are staying at the Marriott Wardman Park where the conference is located.

Sunday - arrive Dulles in afternoon and take SuperShuttle to hotel. Spend Sunday evening around hotel neighborhood.

Monday - Conference until 2:30. Take Metro to Union Station. Spend remainder of afternoon and early evening shopping, walking, dining at Union Station. Take Monuments at Night Tour with stops at FDR Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial.
Metro back to hotel.

Tuesday - Conference until 5:00. Thought about walking to the zoo for a few hours and then grabbing a bite to eat.

Wednesday - Conference until 12:30. Take taxi to National Cathedral. Tour and visit gift shop. Take taxi (or is there a better option?) to Georgetown. Walk, shop, and find a good restaurant to eat. Take bus to DuPont Circle Station. Metro back to hotel.

Thursday - Free day. In morning, take Metro to Old Post Office Building for tour and view of city. Walk to National Archives to see Declaration of Independance, Constitution, Bill of Rights. Find a bite for lunch. During afternoon, walk to Int'l Spy Museum and tour. Walk to Ford's Theater Museum and Peterson House. Eat dinner. Attend "Children of Eden" show at Ford's Theater that evening. Metro back to hotel from Metro Center.

Friday - Free day. In morning take Metro to Washington Monument and tour. Walk to Holocaust Museum. Lunch. In afternoon, take Metro to Arlington Cemetary. Metro back to hotel. Spend evening around hotel.

Saturday - Supershuttle back to Dulles and head home.

Does this all seem logical? Also, any suggestions of something for my husband (27 yr. old never been to DC) to do while I am at the conference on Tuesday?

Also, I realize that the WWII Memorial doesn't open until May. Is there any of it that can be seen now?

Thanks for all of your assistance through my earlier posts! You have been very helpful in planning our trip. I'm getting so excited to go!

Anonymous Apr 5th, 2004 10:00 AM

Yes, there's plenty to see around the new WW II memorial -- when I was there last October, it actually was fascinating to watch the construciotn in progress.

Having had to kill a couple of hours at Union Station more than once while waiting to depart on Amtrak, I have trouble thinking of it as a major destination. The building is lovely, but the shopping and food aren't worth a whole afternoon.

I believe this is the first multi-day Washington itinerary I have ever seen that doesn't even mention the Smithsonian at all. You'll be in the area on Thursday, consider the Smithsonians rather than the Spy Museum.

Well, technically the zoo is part of the Smithsonian. The zoo ground are open longer hours than the buildings, and many animals are more active during those hours; the hotel is just a few minutes' walk from the zoo.

kaudrey Apr 5th, 2004 11:26 AM

Hi,

Basically it sounds OK,but I agree with Anonymous. Union Station is a train station, and while it's a great building, you don't usually spend time around there (although there are a few cool Irish bars nearby if you like those).

DC has some of the best museums in the world, and they are nowhere on your list. Even if you are not art lovers, which I am not, how about Air and Space Museum, or the Hope Diamond and other fabulous gems at Natural History? Those are only 2 of dozens. Your husband can hit a few of these the day you are in a conference, but you might both want to go. The Hirshorn has a sculpture garden that is fun to walk through.

A taxi is the easiest way to get to Georgetown.

Just some other ideas:

Zola's, the restaurant in the Spy Museum, is excellent, so if you can eat or at least have a drink there, I'd recommend it. Chef Geoff's is near Ford's Theatre and is also excellent.

Definitely go to the zoo. It is a beautiful park.

I assume when you visit the Washington Monument you'll stop to look at the White House, and walk down to see the Capitol Building.

The end of April should be a great time to walk around the city. I hope you have a great time!

Karen

dougieshoney Apr 5th, 2004 12:32 PM

Okay, how about this instead (thanks so much for the suggestions!).

Monday - Conference until 2:30. Take Metro to Spy Museum. Then Metro to Union Station (anywhere good to eat there?). Take Monuments at Night Tour with stops at FDR Memorial, Iwo Jima Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam Veteran's Memorial.
Metro back to hotel.

No change to Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thursday - Free day. In morning, take Metro to Smithsonian (in particular Air & Space Museum, Hirshorn Sculpture Gardens, anything else that strikes us). Walk to National Archives to see Declaration of Independance, Constitution, Bill of Rights. Find a bite for lunch. During afternoon, walk to Old Post Office and tour to top for view of city. Walk to Ford's Theater Museum and Peterson House. Eat dinner. Attend "Children of Eden" show at Ford's Theater that evening. Metro back to hotel from Metro Center.
(Is this too much walking for one day? It's hard to tell from map exactly how far apart these things are).

No change to Friday except walking by White House. (I didn't include this previously since I know that we can't get in and the Monday night tour will pass by).

Thank you so much for all the assistance!!

Anonymous Apr 5th, 2004 12:53 PM

Take a look at the Smithsonian's web site to see which of their 12 or so DC museums fit your interests; if that's the Hirschorn and the Air&Space, fine, but don't add those just because they're one reader's suggestions -- there's something for every interest at the Smithsonian! Otherwise, for Thursday I'd suggest eating lunch sooner -- the PO, Ford's and Peterson will take a total of about 1- 2 hours, whereas either the Air & Space or Hirschorn could easily take up the whole morning. I'd hate to see you rush through those, only to find out after lunch that Ford's Theater, while well worth the visit, isn't going to take as long as you've allowed. Also, check your map -- IIRC, the Metro stop closest to Air & Space is L'Enfant Plaza, not Smithsonian.

jtp Apr 5th, 2004 04:05 PM

If you are not too tired of recommendations and your head is not spinning here is what I would offer:
Monday - COnference until 2:30 - as menioned Union Station is a train station w/ stores, you already have Georgetown on your agenda, why not move on via the Metro and at that hour head towards part of the Smithsonian- Air & Space and the Hirshorn.
For dinner head towards Fogy Bottom - Kinkeads is a great choice (make reservations now) then do the evening tour - Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam and Korean Memorials, Jefferson Memorial etc...

Tuesday - Conference until 5:00 then you wanted to see the zoo- a neat place, follow it with dinner in Adam's Morgan - (Wander Columbia Rd- try Churreria Madrid for example)

Wednesday : Conference until 12:30 Old Ebbitt Grill is a great classic for lunch, I would recommend making a reservation at the Holocaust museum and following that with a taxi ride to the Cathederal. You won't want to really eat after the H-Museum, and the Cathedral is a quiet follow-up. End the night walking around Georgetown and finding a restaurant that interest you via window shopping.

Thursday - free day - Start at the Old Post office - light breakfast and the view from the top is equal to the Washington Monument. Move on to the National Archives to see Declaration of Independance, Constitution, Bill of Rights- then head back to the Smithsonians - National History is fun, pop culture,First Ladies Exhibit, great music shop and gift store, the next building is Natural History - the hope diamond... if you have time and you want to do the Capitol Hill, aside from the Capitol itself, the Library of COngress is outstanding, you have your evening planned.

Friday - scout out Virginia - Arlington Cem. Iwo Jima, walk and lunch in Alexandria

Check Zagats for restaurant reviews or the Washington Post.

Let us know how it goes, enjoy!

highnote Apr 5th, 2004 04:07 PM

Doesn't answer your question, but I have to say it anyway. If you're looking for a good meal, go to the Old Ebbit (sp?) Grill near the White House. Fantastic food! We went two days in a row last trip. Happy eating.

bardo Apr 5th, 2004 04:17 PM

Eating at Union Station: The best place AT Union Station is B. Smith's (new orleans cuisne). Even better (one block away on E st) is Bistro Bis (french).
http://bsmith.com/dine/bsmiths_dc.shtml
http://vidaliadc.com/bistro/index.asp

Eating on Thursday: The National Gallery of Art has the best food ON the Mall. Jaleo is a few blocks away.
http://www.nga.gov/ginfo/cafes.htm
http://www.jaleo.com/

mrwunrfl Apr 5th, 2004 07:09 PM

I read your two itineraries and saw the Monuments at Night tour mentioned and thought that was good since one thing that I like to do with visitors is to take a drive around the monuments at night. It's a nice drive. But, I still was wondering why you weren't visiting the VV and Lincoln memorials. For Dougie's sake, I suggest that you visit the monuments during daylight as we will have some glorious days coming in D.C. and those sights really deserve to be seen in the daytime IMHO.

Metro to Smithsonian, then walk to Washington Mon, maybe White House, then VV, Lincoln, FDR, and Jefferson. Send Dougie to the Holocaust Museum on Tuesday (get advance reservations). Or up to the Capitol.

bardo Apr 6th, 2004 04:24 AM

Your Thursday plan is very walkable - the places you listed that day are all close together. It's the monuments that are so spread out - that's the nicest advantage to the Monuments at Night Tour.