please review Alaska itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally have a rough itinerary for an Alaska trip I am planning for this summer. I would appreciate it if you would look it over and let me know if it is do-able, and if there is anything in this area I missed. This will be my first trip to Alaska.

Day 1, fly to Anchorage (from Boston)

Day 2, Anchorage

Day 3, drive to Seward; visit Exit Glacier; night=Seward

Day 4, Seward: kayak trip

Day 5, Seward: Fjords tour

Day 6, drive to Whittier; in afternoon take glaciers cruise. I'm thinking of taking the "26 Glaciers" tour that starts at 1pm. Overnight in Whittier

Day 7, morning: visit Portage Glacier; afternoon: drive to Tankeetna

Day 8, take walking or rafting tour; drive to Daneli

Days 9-10, Daneli

Day 11, drive to Talkeetna; take flightseeing tour of Mt. McKinley

Day 12, return to Anchorage

Day 13, return home
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM

I probably would skip Anchorage and drive on to Girdwood and spend the 1st day there. Winner Creek Trail is a great hike, we also did a Glacier Hike, and Glacier/Helicopter/Dogsled ride there. Alyeska Resort is very nice.

I would take a Kenai Fjord Tour full day. Do one that goes all the way to the calving Glaciers. Will your Kayak trip be all day or what?

We really enjoyed Salmon Fishing and watching bears while in Alaska. If I were you, I would try and ride the train. The segment between Seward and Anchorage is supposed to be the best. This is the only part that I have been on and it was fantastic.

What time of year are you going, that could make a big difference in lots of things.
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for responding. I am planning this trip for sometime in the summer, maybe June. The exact timing depends on what I can arrange with my employer, so it is not entirely my decision.

Did you ever drive the route between Seward and Anchorage?

Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:32 AM

The salmon run in the Russian River starts in late June. You'll know when the fishing starts because there will be a big increase in traffic. It's a bit of a detour from Seward (heading toward Soldotna) but an interesting look. Wildflowers were really nice mid-June but easy to overlook unless they were the large stands of cow parsley (looks like huge Queene Anne's lace).
We really enjoyed Independence Mine near Wasilla on way to Denali. Some of the buildings are restored with a great self-guided tour. Fascinating part of Alaska history. We had to stop to look at a rushing stream just to admire the color of the water (and for me to take pictures of wildflowers). You'll get an idea of how isolated a small town was back then.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM

You do need to consider at least 6 hours on the water with Kenai Fjords boat tours. Always take precautions, if remotely prone to motion sickness. I've seen sick passengers on EVERY trip.

I would not be staying in Whittier, and in my opinion the best glacier tour goes to Esther Passage with Prince William Sound tours, leaving late morning, I believe?? It would be simple to get to Anchorage, with more lodging and meal options perhaps??

For clairfication it is Denali. I would then schedule your McKinley flightseeing for your first arrival, then if canceled you have later timeframes to consider.

I'm assuming you are taking and reserving in advance a shuttle bus to at least Eielson in Denali Park?

Wasilla is your last full grocery stop, pick up all supplies you will need.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 09:02 AM

I've been all over Alaska --- and have done it in the dead of winter, which was great --- and my favorite place was Nome.

Nome is not on the usual tourist itinerary, but it was really fabulous.
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM

Yes, we drove from Anchorage to Girdwood, went fishing in Soldotna via floatplane, drove to Seward, and then took the train from Seward back to Anchorage. Very expensive, but very good trip. Lodging wasn't expensive, just we did a lot of expensive activities. Very worth it.
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

You've all given me great advice. I've changed my itinerary to reflect this, and would appreciate it if you would look at my new itinerary and let me know what you think.

Day 1, get to Anchorage

Day 2, get rental car; morning=drive to Talkeetna; afternoon=flightseeing tour over Mt. McKinley

Day 3, Talkeetna: rafting; also flightseeing if this was not possible yesterday due to weather conditions

Day 4, return to Anchorage; enroute visit Independence Mine and Hatcher Pass

Day 5, Whittier: 11 am glaciers cruise; night=Girdwood

Day 6, drive around Turnagain Arm, visting sights in the area

Day 7, morning: drive or take train to Seward; afternoon: visit Exit Glacier

Day 8, Seward: Fjords tour

Day 9, Seward: half-day kayaking trip

Day 10, if I have rental car: maybe take Cooper River rafting trip, then return to Anchorage
If taking the train, do some hiking in Seward area during the day. Train leaves at about 6 pm

Day 11, Anchorage: bear-viewing or other excursion

Day 12, Anchorage: bear-viewing trip (if not possible yesterday due to weather conditions), or other excursion

Day 13, return home

I'm still not sure about taking the train to or from Seward. I want to check out 1-way car rental fees before making a definite decision about this.

Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 05:30 AM

If you want a bear viewing trip, I wouldn't be going from Anchorage, I'd be in Homer. With your time, I would cut the "drive the Arm" day- this can easily be done elsewhere and add 2-3 nights in Homer rather than Anchorage.

When are you going?
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

After posting the new itinerary, I found out that it is possible to fly directly to Homer, which will help a lot to save time. So I new have a new itinerary, which does the bear-viewing trip from Homer instead of Anchorage. What do you think of it?

Day 1, get to Anchorage
Day 2, fly to Homer
Day 3, Homer: bear-viewing trip
Day 4, Homer: Gull Island
Day 5, rent car, drive to Exit Glacier + Seward; return car
Day 6, Seward: Fjords tour
Day 7, Seward: kayak; 6 pm train to Anchorage
Day 8, rental car and drive to Talkeetna; afternnoon=Mt. McKinley flightseeing tour
Day 9, Talkeetna: rafting trip; also take flightseeing tour if this was not possible yesterday due to weather conditions
Day 10, Independence Mine area; return to Anchorage
Day 11, Whittier: 11a glaciers cruise; night=Girdwood
Day 12, Turnagain Arm area; evening: return rental car
Day 13, return home