Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please recommend Ft Lauderdale beach hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-recommend-ft-lauderdale-beach-hotel-905637/)

JamilaZ Sep 9th, 2011 06:20 PM

Please recommend Ft Lauderdale beach hotel

I'm looking for a beach hotel for January. I would like a 4 or 5 star hotel right on the beach with nice pools. We will be traveling with a 6 year old child. Ritz Carlton Ft Lauderdale or Biscayne Bay look top notch but very expensive. Hilton Ft Lauderdale Beach Resort seems good with spacious rooms and more reasonably priced. Trump is another one that seems like it's got great reviews.

I prefer someplace where we can easily get to other restaurants or shopping via cab or walking distance is even better.

has anyone stayed at any of these and can give constructive feedback or recommend something I may not have mentioned? thanks!

longhorn55 Sep 9th, 2011 06:48 PM

Another property you might want to look at is the Harbor Beach Marriott Resort and Spa. I went there with a friend last year who had won a 2-night stay (so I don't know the rate). It had a large free-form pool and is located on a quiet beach. There was some sort of Kids Club, but I don't know anything about it.
We walked to some outdoor restaurants (Italian, Greek, etc.) but it would also be easy to get a taxi to the better shopping and dining areas.

goddesstogo Sep 9th, 2011 08:20 PM

We liked the Pelican Grand Beach Resort (http://pelicanbeach.com/). The rooms were large and there's a lovely, long porch on the beach side. The pool isn't large but your 6-year-old will enjoy the lazy river. It's not too far to Las Olas Drive/restaurants/shopping.

JamilaZ Sep 10th, 2011 05:00 AM

Thanks! I'll look into those suggestions.

Has anyone stayed at The Westin Diplomat Resort & Spa?

MJT Sep 11th, 2011 04:53 PM

Westin is way too far from the beach, miles. Try looking at the Courtyard by Marriott in Fort Lauderdale at Los Olas. It's across A1A from the beach, great location.

LGarabito Sep 13th, 2011 09:53 AM

I highly recommend the Hilton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort, been going there numerous times this past summer. Im a local and whenever my husband and i can find a great deal- we opt to spend a beach weekend at the Hilton. Whats great about it, is they have rooms with a full kitchen. So you have the option of cooking in if you want to save $ on food. They gave me free breakfast at the poolside restaurant one time for a special they were having and it was wonderful too. Its right on the beach, easy access. You can rent lounge chairs w/umbrella from a kiosk they have on the beach so no need to bring any with you. The last time i visited was about 3 weeks ago and all of South Florida was dealing with a jellyfish outbreak (very rare occasion so dont fret), so that weekend we couldnt go to the beach and stayed at the pool the whole time and it was even better. We rented a poolside cabana for the day, which includes a free fruit platter, radio, Satelite TV in the cabana (my husband wanted to watch a game so he was happy), and a mini-fridge to stock our drinks. It was well worth it. We always have an amazing time there and are looking forward to their next special so we can spend another weekend there. Their rooms are VERY spacious, and very clean, bathrooms are HUGE, and the service is top-notch! Its also very centrally located so you have options for nightlife. You cant go wrong with the HIlton.

virginiaomatic Sep 13th, 2011 11:13 AM

The Sheraton has 2 location on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. Both are good but it would be more fun at the Yankee Clipper. It just went through a renovation. It sits right on the sand (not across the street). They have a mermaid show in the pool that you can watch through windows in the bar. How can you beat that?

JamilaZ Sep 14th, 2011 11:25 AM

Thanks for the details. Mermaid show sounds amazing.

LaGarabito - is this hilton right on the beach or across the street?? How much is it on average to rent the chairs and umbrella or cabana? do you recall?

LGarabito Sep 21st, 2011 02:20 PM

The hilton is across the street but none of the hotels in this area are right on the beach. Everyone has to cross the street no matter which hotel you are at in this area. It's really not a big deal, the street is not big at all and there is alot of pedestrian traffic in this area so the cars are used to it. I had my two year old niece with me everytime, and i crossed the street back and forth throughout my visit there with no big deal. For two lounge chairs and big umbrella it cost me $50 on the beach (i found other hotels to charge the same amount). For the pool cabana, it was $90 for the day and it was a covered gazebo with a big corner couch, satellite tv, mini-fridge, a designated area with lounge chairs next to gazebo, free water bottles, and a free fruit platter. I honestly found the pool cabana to be worth the $ and if you split it in a group setting (like i did with my family) it was even better.

Ryan Sep 21st, 2011 02:29 PM

That isn't accurate about the Westin Diplomat. It does have golf resort rooms, but it also has beach side rooms.

In the room description on their resevations page it will say golf or beach.

rncheryl Sep 21st, 2011 03:56 PM

Agree that the Westin Diplomat is on the ocean. It also has a great steak house, and a wonderful spa. This is in Hallandale/Hollywood, quite a drive from Ft. Lauderdale, if that is important to you.

Family members like http://www.lagomar.com/?gclid=CKKd7t...FYHs7QodWHSF6w especially with children.

goddesstogo Sep 21st, 2011 05:32 PM

The Pelican is right on the beach too.

LGarabito Sep 23rd, 2011 01:35 PM

Sorry- should have been more specific. I meant to say the hotels located in the area of the Hilton are not on the beach but across the street. Agree that Westin Diplomat is on the beach.