Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please impart your knowledge (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-impart-your-knowledge-481380/)

JackB Oct 19th, 2004 07:30 PM

Please impart your knowledge

I can't believe how many questions are placed here and I guess because of that, if there is no answer given in about 20 minutes, there is no answer given!

Please respond as well as ask. That is how a good board works.

Thanks!

TripleSecDelay Oct 19th, 2004 08:08 PM

Either that, or the large volume of questions begin to ratchet down and bury an unanswered question - then, people often don't look past the first 50 threads.

makai1 Oct 19th, 2004 08:32 PM

feel free to use a ttt post.

Marilyn Oct 19th, 2004 09:24 PM

If you don't get an answer, JackB, top your own question by adding a post to the thread. Keep it in the top 50 and you'll get an answer sooner or later!

tondalaya Oct 19th, 2004 09:27 PM

Mostly later, if you are not direct or amusing. IMO.

Marilyn Oct 19th, 2004 10:00 PM

If you are not direct, it may be difficult for others to figure out what you are really asking. Often, not enough information is provided, e.g., "Help me choose a vacation destination." Well, do you like to gamble, hike, shop, go to the theater? Help us out a little!

Not being amusing does not seem to have any effect whatsoever on getting your question answered. Read the first 50 threads at any given time -- most are straight inquiries and replies.

GoTravel Oct 20th, 2004 08:28 AM

My favorite header is:

Hotel?

or

Honeymoon Help?

ElendilPickle Oct 20th, 2004 11:03 AM

Here's a bit of knowledge you may not have considered...

Put your pants on first, *then* your shoes.

Hope that helps.

Lee Ann :-)

Scarlett Oct 20th, 2004 12:31 PM

Oh oh, I have one!!!

Remember where you left your pants if you have to put them on in a hurry :D

dcespedes Oct 20th, 2004 12:42 PM

Scarlett, dear, are you speaking from experience?!? =-O I promise not to tell... :$

Scarlett Oct 20th, 2004 02:59 PM

LOL, nooooo~

Meesthare Oct 20th, 2004 06:00 PM

Oh, my goodness, Lee Ann, thank you so much for that information! No wonder I have so much trouble getting dressed in the morning! :-d

ElendilPickle Oct 21st, 2004 12:37 PM

Good tip, Scarlett - just remember that the pants go on before the shoes...

Meesthare, I'm surprised you have such trouble getting dressed; after all, aren't you the one who figured out how to flip a coin in order to pick the best hotel room bed?? :-D

FainaAgain Oct 21st, 2004 03:35 PM

My favorite question is: "where should I go next". My hands are itching to type an answer to that, but I don't want to be kicked out.

lenleigh Oct 21st, 2004 09:26 PM

Here is my biggest peeve on this site which always attracts some know it all answer:

People post questions on a location or state and do not select that state as the topic. This almost ALWAYS results in the person receiving none or very little responses because the post doesn't show up under that state when searched. I know there are a lot of people that only like to sift through the most recently discussed posts. However, there are also a lot of people who only or in additon to search their home state or places they are most fimilar with to give advice and to discuss.

I might look through a couple pages of the most recently discussed posts but on a good day, you could have pages and pages of recent posts. I don't sort through every one of themn to find something to reply to.

Meesthare Oct 22nd, 2004 04:04 AM

Lee Ann - these are two totally different areas of specialized knowledge. Perhaps in my detailed study of hotel room beds, I neglected to learn about how to get dressed in the morning - or in the afternoon, for that matter - but now that I've had it explained to me ... :) :)

Marilyn Oct 22nd, 2004 08:16 AM

Faina, if I posted the first reply that springs into my devilish mind when I read some of the questions, I would have been kicked off this board long ago. Sit on your hands, dear, like I do. :-D

designmr Oct 22nd, 2004 08:49 AM

As a wise woman once said, "Specificity is the soul of credibility", or in this case, an appealing thread title!!

traveler24 Oct 22nd, 2004 09:02 AM

I love it when posters write
"Advice needed about" say Wash. DC
I am sooo tempted to answer "don't go there...or ? weather in the Carolinas in August???
Hot and humid so go somewhere else!!!!
Of course I try to answer with helpful stuff..
Now that I've got that out of my system on with the day...

Meesthare Oct 22nd, 2004 09:04 AM

Marilyn - you're sitting on Faina's hands???? @-)