Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with Northern California itinerary

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We, my husband and I and our 16 and 17 yo's, will be in northern California for 1 week in the middle of July.
We are flying into SFO and then driving to Yosemite for 3 nights and we want to spend 2-3 nights in San Francisco, but I'm not sure what to do with the other 2 nights.

I'm torn between spending some time at Muir woods and Point Reyes or going to Monterey and the Aquarium and then seeing Point Lobos.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments. If there is some place I haven't thought of that would appeal to teenagers I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you...Sarha
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I think your family would enjoy the Monterey Peninsula much more than your alternatives. You might want to spend half a day at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk on your way down here.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:03 AM

I'd go to Monterey over Point Reyes with teenagers. Santa Cruz is a good option too. It isn't far from Monterey, so you can stay in one place and visit the other very easily. Or stop in Santa Cruz for several hours on the way from Monterey to SF.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for such quick replies.
I guess the Monterey area wins !
What is the the Santa Cruz boardwalk area like? Do you think "cool" teenagers will like it?
Also, can you make any hotel recommendations?

Sarha
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 11:33 AM

The local teens love it. They have their own website, http://www.beachboardwalk.com/

Carmel has plenty of inns for families that are within walking distance to the beach and town. Search the Net and come back for fine tuning. Green Lantern has family suites, for instance. You know your budget, though...we don't.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM

My suggestion was going to include Santa Cruz also sarha, teens really love to go there. And I have never known a teen that didn't really enjoy SF. Have a fun family vacation, you will I am sure!!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:28 PM

My teenager loves Santa Cruz, and they have a new skatepark there. Also he likes Pacific Grove and Monterey. Great area for teens. TTess, we'll be down soon. ;-)
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM

I grew up in Santa Cruz and all my cousins loved coming to visit me - LOL. The beach, the boardwalk, neptunes kingdom - your sons are the perfect age. You can also head out to Steamers Lane, check out the surf museum, and if the waves are good, see some world class surfers. There is plenty of surfing all along the coast there.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:44 PM

I suggest you have a family movie night and watch "Citizen Kane" - then consider a visit to Hearst Castle.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. My kids looked at the link and are looking forward to visiting.
I've booked 2 nights at the Portola Plaza hotel in Monterey, has anyone stayed there ? Any reviews?
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Portola Plaza used to be a Doubletree. If you want to walk to and from the wharf and Cannery Row, it's a good location. The Hotel Pacific across the street is soooo much better! It's an all-suites hotel, wood burning fireplaces, breakfast in the a.m., tea in the afternoon. Get a courtyard, 3rd floor room, not streetside, for peace.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

TTess, Hotel Pacific gets some mixed reviews on Trip Advisor. Have you stayed there recently?

It looks lovely on the website and I do like the idea that breakfast is included.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Sarha - I haven't stayed there in over a decade, sorry. I live on the peninsula, you know. I'll check out the reviews. The appear mixed and that you should follow my directions to get an inner courtyard suite on the third floor. It's so much nicer than the Portola Plaza unless you like the commercial feel...I don't but that's me. What was the rate difference? Did you also check out the Green Lantern's cottages in Carmel? They're terrific. You can walk to the beach and downtown, with ease.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Another thought would be to get a two story suite at the Highland's Inn, put the kids on the sofabed in the downstairs living room and you two upstairs with your own jacuzzi. There are balconies on both floors, ocean roars, a fireplace and a kitchen.