Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help with Honolulu hotel suggestions and tips on visiting Pearl Harbor and other sites on Oahu

Search

Please help with Honolulu hotel suggestions and tips on visiting Pearl Harbor and other sites on Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 09:08 AM
Lisa

I will be visiting Honolulu for just 2 nights and am looking for a nice hotel for my family of 4, including 2 sons, ages 16 & 18. Oahu is a last minute addition to our trip. We were only going to visit Kauai, Maui, and the Big Island, but decided that the boys should visit the Pearl Harbor Memorial, and at least get a feeling for Oahu.

I would also like your opinion on whether we should rent a car for that short period of time, or just take tours and/or public transportation. I would also like to hear opinions about any other "must-do" activities since we will only be in Oahu for 2 nights. I have heard that snorkeling at Hanauma Bay(sp.)is great. Would it be worth it to do this if we have already snorkeled on other islands? Would our time be better spent doing other things?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 10:42 AM
Becky

With your limited time, Pearl Harbor tour and Waikiki beach/shopping may be enough. A good alternative to Pearl Harbor, which can be crowded, is the Punchbowl National Cemetery of the Pacific, where many of the Pearl Harbor Veterans are buried. The lookout platform there gives a great view of Waikiki/Honolulu.
But if your visit is in winter, try to see the big waves on the north shore. Another personal fav of mine, on the way to North Shore, is Byodo-In Temple. A Buddhist temple located in the back of a cemetery, very tranquil & beautiful to behold. Doesn't take much time and is FREE.
I'd skip Hanauma Bay if you'll be snorkeling elsewhere. Since feeding the fish is no longer allowed there I find there's lots less fish to see!
Inexpensive tours are available, however, renting a car gives more freedom.
Can't recommend lodging without knowing your price range.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 11:36 AM
Celeste

The USS Arizona Memorial and USS Missouri are two great things to see at Pearl Harbor. Remember that there are tours that PASS these places but cannot stop. Only the official Arizona Memorial boats (free) actually drop you off at the Arizona Memorial.

The bus from Waikiki (where I suggest you stay) will take you about 45 minutes. Personally I would always rather have a car to be able to take a good look around. The North Shore is totally different from the Waikiki area and I would recommend a visit there as well.
If you're snorkeling elsewhere, you can skip Hanauma Bay. But try to spend at least a few hours on Waikiki Beach, and hike up Diamond Head if you can for the great views.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 12:27 PM
lcuy

Dear Lisa- Rental cars are fairly cheap here, and with 4 of you, you'll save a lot of time and money by doing it on your own.
I'd get up in the morning and get out to Pearl Harbor as early as possible. Tours are first come, first served, so it is good to get there before all the tour busses. You can visit the Missouri battleship afterwards, then drive toward the north shore. there is a dole Pineapple place that has a huge maze and nice pineapple ice cream snacks. Go through Haleiwa town (don't take the bypass road) for lunch or shave ice at Matsumotos. There are some cute shops and surf places. Pull in at Waiamea bay and watch the surfers if the waves are big. continue driving along the north shore. The scenery is beautiful and very Hawaii. Visit Byodo-in at the Valley of the temples. You can go back to Waikiki over the Pali or continue Past kailua, through Waimanalo and past makapuu beach and Lighthouse then past Sandy beach and hanauma bay. If you choose the Pali route, stop at the lookout and walk down to the right. There is a nice little walk. if it is windy, hold your jacket or a towel around you like a cape and the wind will push you back up toward the parking.
The Bishop museum is a really nice intro to Hawaiian culture, and doesn't take long.
In waikiki, take a surfing lesson if there are waves (often there aren't in the winter)It costs about $30, and well worth the money. The beach boys will have you catching waves, and even teens will find it cool. We have some fun stuff going on now...Brunch on the beach on certain Sunday mornings and sunset on the beach on Saturday nights, Restaraunts set up booths and serve dishes, then there is a free movie set up on the beach. last week it was George of the jungle and another show filmed in Hawaii. there is authentic hawaiian music and dance as well. If you want decent rooms, the Ohana chain has some great specials. Their hotels are very simple, but pleasant and in various locations in Waikiki. For a bit more upscal, I like the Kaimana New Ohtani, which is right on the beach, at the Kapiolani Park end of Waikiki, close to Diamond Head. It has a terrific restaraunt as well.
Have fun!

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 03:31 PM
Lisa

Thanks so much to all who have replied. I am sorry that I forgot to mention that I will be visiting during August. I am flexible with the price range for a hotel room. It does not have to be ultra deluxe since we will not be spending that much time at the hotel or on the island, but I would like to have a decent clean room with good service in a convenient location. $150-200/night seems reasonable. I have heard great things about the Mandarin -do you think that this hotel is too far out of the way? People also seem to enjoy Hilton Hawaiin Village, but it seems like it might be too large and busy for the amount of time we will be on the island. I have also read nice reviews of the W Hotel at Diamond Head -that it is small and intimate with beautifulviews of Diamond Head. We will be arriving at 11:30 A.M. on Saturday, and will be leaving at approx 6:45 P.M. on Monday.

Thanks again to all that have replied and to those who might.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:42 AM
mary

Lisa-I would treat your teenagers to some Waikiki "action" and stay in Waikiki, not the locations you mentioned. You will get plenty of quiet time on the other islands, you should experience the hub of Waikiki. Yes, rent a car and see the island yourself, but allow some time to just walk the beach at Waikiki. Hotels: Outrigger Reef or Outrigger Waikiki are lots of fun in great locations.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 12:12 PM
lcuy

The Mandarin will be boring for your kids after the initial fun of watching the dolphins. there is nothing to do there except swim in the small pool or the beach. Waikiki is a much more exciting place for teens.

Old Nov 24th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Lisa

Thank you Mary and Icuy.