Please help with CW family trip for Thanksgiving 2004

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We (husband, children 10 and 8 and I) are planning a trip the week of Thanksgiving to CW. I have a ton of questions since I am in the beginning stages of planning. I would appreciate any websites that provide good information, and any book titles that my children could read that would get them excited about their trip.

We were planning a Saturday to Saturday trip over the Thanksgiving week. Is this too much time? If I was to follow the Fodor's suggestion, 2 days would be it and one of them is at Busch Gardens, which I realize will be closed when we are there. So, from what I have read in other postings, etc., 2 days in CW, 1 in Jamestown and 1 in Yorktown. I have read that there are two parts to Jamestown. Do each warrant a full day or just one day for both? Are there any scenic drives, parks, hiking/walking, or attractions within one hour from CW? We are hoping to use CW as our main location and do day trips from there. We are looking for a low key trip, and not wanting to feel rushed so we also don't want to be in the car a lot either.

As for lodging, would the Colonial Houses be good? I realize that Williamsburg Inn is recommended a lot, but we really don't want to pay the $250+ fee. We do; however, want to stay within the historic area. I know my children would love the indoor pool at Kingsmill Resort, but I really wanted to focus on the experience of CW.

Regarding Thanksgiving, are there special programs at that time of year? Is this a good place to go to get a colonial Thanksgiving experience? Where would you recommend we have Thanksgiving dinner? I am not concerned about it being "child friendly food" since my children are well travelled and are open to new experiences...just good food.

I think that is enough questions for now. Thank you for helping us plan for this exciting trip.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM

Are your children girls or boys? CW has a special American Girl experience which many girls seems to enjoy and, if you have a daughter, she might enjoy reading that part of the American Girl series to prepare for the trip. The Colonial Houses are good; many families also find the Woodlands Hotel and Suites, which are on the grounds, a good choice.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't believe CW offers the American Girls program any longer. There will be a lot of historical programs offered for children. Yours may also enjoy wearing colonial costumes as they tour CW. The costumes are available for rent at the visitors center. Look into the Williamsburg Lodge, a CW property that is across the street from the Inn. I believe they have an indoor pool at the sports center. Ask them about it, though, to make sure. There are some renovations going on there.
Jamestown Settlement usually has a colonial foods festival around Thanksgiving. You only need a 1/2 day for that and could then go onto Jamestown Island. There are seperate fees for each but Jamestown Island is a National Park so you can use your parks pass if you have one. Find some books about Pocohontas for your children. In fact, they are making a Hollywood movie now about the Jamestown settlement.
York River State Park has some nice hiking trails and playground. It is about 15 min from CW, just off I64.
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
bluestructure

WHAT IS CW??

Old Jul 15th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Colonial Williamsburg
Old Jul 15th, 2004, 07:01 PM
bluestructure

now dont i feel stupid, i was thinking it had to be near Williamsburg....

Old Jul 16th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your information. My kids would love to wear the colonial costumes. I will look into that. Oh, my 10 year old is a girl and very much into American Girl dolls and the books and my 8 year old is a boy. As for Thanksgiving Day, what place would you recommend for dinner? Also, is a week too much for CW, Jamestown and Yorktown? So, Birdie, you recommend 1/2 day at the Jamestown settlement and 1/2 day at the park? I thought that there were two parts to Jamestown, is that what people are talking about? Thank you all so much for your help! Probably my most pressing question is if a week is too much time?
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 06:32 AM

Other things to do is driving (or bicycling?) Colonial Parkway, which run from Yorktown to Jamestown, with Williamsburg in the middle. Newport News City Park has some nice nature trails, and last I knew, canoe & rowboat rentals (not sure if in November tho). There's a air&space museum (forget the actual name) in Hampton, with an IMAX theater. Mariners Museum in Newport News. The entire "Peninsula" area is rich in Civil War history, if you can get the kids interested in that. Lots up in Richmond too, if you'd want to make a day trip there, or a drive on Rt 5 along the old plantations.

I go to CW often for long-weekends (like 5-7 times a year for several years) and learn new things each time. Ask lots of questions of the interpreters, most of them really try to draw the kids into conversations, keeping it in-period ("Did you arrive in Williamsburg by coach?") Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To address your most pressing question...anyone with an interest in early american or civil war history can easily fill a week in the Wmbg area. If your kids aren't now or about to become history buffs, 7 days is probably overkill.

Don't know where you're coming from or if you're driving or flying into the area but I'd be inclined split the trip up with some time in DC.

The CW website www.history.org is an excellent resource for planning your visit.

Thanksgiving is a popular time to visit Wmbg but other than the day itself, there are not many special programs devoted to it. Most of the focus is on getting ready for Christmas which is a huge draw. Tgiving dinner is served at the colonial taverns, the Inn and the Lodge as well as at many hotels and restaurants in town. I'd pick one of the CW places myself.

The two Jamestowns are adjacent to one another. One, Jamestown Island, is as Birdie says run by the Park Service and is the actual JT site. The other, Jamestown Settlement, has costumed interpreters inhabiting recreations of an Indian Village, Fort James and the 3 ships which brought the English to JT. Kids seem to enjoy JT settlement more although both are well worth seeing. It'll take most of a day to visit both of these places.

At the other end of the Colonial Parkway (a beautiful drive) is a similar situation in Yorktown. The actual battlefield site is run by the Park Service. The same folks who brought you JT Settlement operate the Yorktown Victory Center which covers the history of the battle but also has a recreated army encampment and an 18th C. farm house. You can cover these two in half a day unless you do the full tour of the battlefield (never esp. interesting to my daughter at that age). More info about JT and YT at this website: http://www.historyisfun.org/

The Amer. Girl Felicity books are excellent choices for pre-reading. There are also a pair of books by Joan Lowery Nixon which focus on childrens' colonial experiences: Caesar's Story 1759 (he's the son of a slave) and Ann's Story 1747 (she's the daughter of a physician). I've got a reading list somewhere and I'd be happy to dig it up if you want more suggestions.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think a week is too long but I would consider doing some day trips to explore the area. There is so much to do in addition to CW. 45 min. away, Portsmouth has the best children's museum I've seen. My 13 yo still enjoys it. Norfolk's Nauticus is a great hands-on science, weather, and naval museum.
There are two different "destinations" at Jamestown. IMHO both are worth seeing. They are right next-door to each other. Jamestown Settlement is operated by a foundation that also has a living history museum out in Yorktown. You can purchase an admission to both the Yorktown and Jamestown locations administered by the foundation, or separately. Both of these locations have living history re-creations. Jamestown has the fort, Indian village and the ships the settlers arrived in. It also has a museum about the settlers and Native Americans. Jamestown Island, The Yorktown Battlefields, and the National Parkway connecting the two are National Parks. You do not need to pay admission to drive the Parkway but you will to tour Jamestown Island and the Yorktown Battlefields. You can also use a National Parks pass. Jamestown Island is the site of the actual settlement. There aren't any actual buildings left of the settlement but there is some incredible archaelogical work going on there right now. They are pulling fascinating things up and visitors are able to watch and ask questions. There is also a nice museum and a pretty drive with signs that describe how difficult life was.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 09:15 AM

I'm with obxgirl. Unless your kids are complete colonial/Civil War history buffs, seven days of the historical tours and activities will be agony for them. I went to CW as a kid and was bored out of my mind within an hour of arrival (but so was the rest of my family-- colonial history had very little attraction for us). YMMV, hopefully. (Funny thing: When I was a teenager in Puerto Rico, I could go to the old Spanish forts on historical tours over and over again. I never got tired of them. Vive la différence.... But I digress.)

Splitting the time between DC is a great idea IMHO. It'll give your kids a good overview of the sweep of US history and give them a welcome change of scenery.
Old Jul 16th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Such great information. Thank you all so much. We are going to discuss the possible DC/WC split since our children enjoy history, but they are children. Maybe we should do this vacation during a spring vacation and wrap in Busch Gardens when it is open for a complete diversion for our kids? I will let you know, but again, you all have been wonderful in providing a wealth of information.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Hotel prices in Virginia Beach will be dirt-cheap during Thanksgiving week. While you won't be able to swim (many indoor pools, tho) you'll find a quiet time on the beach, probably warm enough (if sunny) to walk, run & play barefoot in the sand, and maybe even try to wade a little, if the tootsies can stand the cold. There's a marine life exhibit (I need a coffee --- I can't think of WHAT you call the type of building, let alone the specific name), a lighthouse, a coast guard rescue station. And it will be quiet, real quiet.
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:56 PM

Can't help thinking about your question. I'm afraid that even the most studious kids could be bored after a few days of the same.Williamsburg can get very cool & damp by Thanksgiving.How about adding we're you're coming from? A side trip on the way to CW at Monticello & Univ. of VA or even a late Fall nite on Skyline Drive would provide a change of scenery.e.g.half Myrtle Beach & half CW would be another great option.