Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP with Chicago Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-with-chicago-hotel-238385/)

Amanda Jul 10th, 2002 11:52 AM

PLEASE HELP with Chicago Hotel

I am a Canadian wanting to take a quick trip to Chicago. Due to the dollar exchange, the hotels downtown are just too much for my budget (especially with the parking fees). I was thinking of trying a suburb but don't know where to go. Plus, I don't know how the public transport works. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions that are under $80 a night and are near public transport into the downtown? I will be coming from the North West. <BR><BR>Thanks for your help!<BR><BR>Amanda

xxx Jul 10th, 2002 12:03 PM

Amanda - I wouldn't do a hotel out in the burbs. Although budget is tight, it wouldn't really be worth the trip IMO. Try hotels such as the Days Inn on Diversey (it's in Lincoln Park so less expensive than downtown but would still be in a popular city neighborhood).<BR><BR>Also, try www.quikbook.com. You might be able to find something around $80 or slightly more (I think you would be infinitely happier in an inexpensive hotel in Chicago rather than a nicer property in the burbs). Regarding the car, you could park it in certain outdoor lots that are less, otherwise just drop off your stuff at the hotel, park your car on the streets up north and take a bus or subway back (be careful not to park in a zoned neighborhood).

Pam Jul 10th, 2002 12:04 PM

Amanda:<BR>Try priceline.com - We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Chicago(Wacker Drive in the North Michigan Ave area) for $51/per night in Sept. and parking is $30/per night. Still cheaper than the prices they quote on their website. Just remember that once your bid is accepted, you can't cancel. Good luck<BR>Pam

Sara Jul 10th, 2002 12:07 PM

Amanda - <BR>Was in Chicago last January and, like you, I didn't think I had the money to spend on downtown hotels. However, I was able to find one two blocks from "the Magnificent Mile" and very convenient to subways (which are very user-friendly). It's called the Cass Hotel (www.casshotel.com) and, although it's not by any means fancy, I felt quite safe (I'm a 24 yr old female). Looks like they're running a special for a double bed for $69. Like I said, don't expect luxury, but the location's great!

cd Jul 10th, 2002 12:20 PM

Amanda<BR>Try: Best Western River North Hotel-<BR>125 W. Ohio Street<BR>Chicago, Illinois 60610<BR>United States <BR> It's in the heart of Chicago downtown, free parking for guests and breakfast for two.. Weekdays $99.00<BR> <BR>

patg Jul 10th, 2002 01:02 PM

You could try suburban Oak Park or Evanston. Both have excellent transportation to downtown during business hours, less convenient on weekends and late in the evenings. Figure on approximately a 45 minute commute each way. Both are enjoyable, historic towns in their own right.<BR><BR>Please visit some Chicago websites and get more acquainted with the city. It's a metro area of 9 million people, and takes some getting used to. If you are interested in bars or clubs, the previous poster's suggestion of the River North hotel is a good one.

todd Jul 19th, 2002 04:49 AM

amanda...go to www.biddingfortravel.com, it explaines how to use priceline for hotels. we just came back this week from chicago and are going again end of july and on priceline i got...<BR>Palmer House Hilton for $60.00/night <BR>Chicago Hilton for $64.00/night<BR>wjen you make you'r bids just use North Michigan Ave. first then if bid isn't taken use South Michigan Ave. and use 4-5 star for both bids. you will get a wonderfull hotel by the loop for way cheap. i'm completely sold on priceline.

Missy Jul 25th, 2002 09:31 AM

Hotwire usually has pretty good rates

pj Jul 25th, 2002 10:19 AM

I love Chicago, just got back stayed at Palmer House 55.00 on priceline. <BR> Stayed at Hyatt wacker before that 45.oo on priceline too!! PJ