Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please help with Broadway show strategy (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-with-broadway-show-strategy-511868/)

crazy4Hawaii Mar 12th, 2005 04:31 PM

Please help with Broadway show strategy

I am so hoping that my family can make a trip to NYC in June. It will be the first trip for our eleven year old and I've only been once myself. I just found out it was a possibility today and have made no arrangements yet. Of course, we'd like to see 2-3 shows while there. We love musicals and comedy and have Wicked and Spamalot on our wish list. I'm guessing I need to try to get tickets for these hot shows ASAP. And forget holding out for discounts? I signed up on Playbill.com today. Other shows I'm looking at are All Shook Up, Fiddler, and Chitty Chitty. These all seems to have discount codes. Any suggestions? I'm definitely a newbie to the process...

mclaurie Mar 13th, 2005 03:39 AM

Broadwaybox.com is a website that seems to have the discount codes not only from playbill but the other websites too. Have a look. I think Fiddler and All Shook Up have had discounts available. The question is will the codes be good for your travel dates. If yes, I would phone and speak to someone about the best seats available for your trip dates rather than try doing it online. Also, you should have a look at the seating charts for each theater. Most are found on playbill's website. Good luck!

nytraveler Mar 13th, 2005 04:42 AM

You're correct - you will not find any discounts for Wicked or Spamalot get those tickets ASAP.

crazy4Hawaii Mar 13th, 2005 05:58 AM

Thanks so much, all! Will get right on it. I suppose if codes are not available yet for the shows like Fiddler, I can keep looking for a month or two?

MikeT Mar 13th, 2005 07:14 AM

It seems unlikely codes will be avialable this far out far out, but I don't see huge demand for the three shows you mentioned so it is likely if discounts are available now, there will be discouints in April or May.

Wicked could become available given the two stars are now out of the show, which usually means demand for tickets will decrease. Spamalot will probably not be discounted since it is possibly the big hit of the season.

HowardR Mar 14th, 2005 06:18 AM

You will definitely not find discount tickets for June performances of Spamalot or Wicked, no matter who's in the cast then!
As for discount tickets for June, they won't be available until possibly late April, but more likely sometime in June.
Since All Shook Up and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang havew not opened yet, it's hard to predict ticket availability for June. Fiddler should be no problem.

MFNYC Mar 14th, 2005 06:55 AM

I agree with NYtraveler, you have to book for those plays ASAP. I went to the wicked box office asking for the 1st available weekend (fri night, sat or sun) with decent seats, and he came up with June 10th for a Friday, and July for weekend matinees, so these tickets are very hard to come by.

If those shows don't work, good substitutes are the producers and hairspray, which are now much more available, and sometimes have discounts.

MFNYC Mar 14th, 2005 06:57 AM

This was a month ago that I was at the wicked box office, and the seats were decent but not great.