Please help plan our trip to San Fran, Sonoma, Carmel and Big Sur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All! My husband and I are in our early 30's from NYC and we have a wedding to attend in Big Sur in May. Since we've never been to California, we would like to visit a few places while we're out there. Below is our tentative itinerary. Can you tell me if it makes sense logistically and if we're spending enough nights/days in each place? We can stay an extra night or two if we need to. Also, are we missing any important places? This is my first post on Fodor's and I greatly appreciate your help!!
Thanks!

Sunday - arrive and sleep in San Fran
Monday - do a day bus tour of Sonoma but sleep in San Fran
Tuesday - tour San Fran
Wednesday - tour San Fran
Thursday - rent a car and drive down pacific coast 1 and do the 17 mile drive, sleep in Carmel
Friday - tour Carmel, stop at Point Lobos, then drive down for rehearsal dinner and sleep in Big Sur
Saturday - wedding in Big Sur
Sunday - tour and sleep Big Sur
Monday - drive back to San Fran and fly out at night
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:39 PM

I think your itinerary sounds very "doable" and reasonable. It will go by in flash, so savor every moment and take plenty of pictures. You should have some nice weather in May.

A bus tour of Sonoma is a good idea - especially if you're going to do some wine tasting.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM

I'll give you my thoughts, based on what my husband I did a few years ago (not a wedding trip, however). I would stay overnight in Sonoma county, just to give you a bit more time there. There are many comments about places to stay (my husband and I stayed at a B&BB in Glenn Ellen). And I would also visit Muir Woods (on the way to or from Sonoma).
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 06:14 PM

Try to have lunch at Nepenthe when you're traveling on Highway 1. The views are incredible and the burger was delicious. Take a look here:

http://nepenthebigsur.com/
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM

Sounds like you have an excellent itinerary. If you stop at Point Lobos (highly recommended), you can park on the road and walk in. But make sure that you lock any valuables in your trunk (there have been occasional break-ins).
Nepenthe is definitely a great place for a sunset drink and snack. I don't agree that the burger is anything special - except the super-high price!
For a great breakfast in Big Sur, go to Deetjen's or the Big Sur Bakery. Fantastic!
The River Inn has live music on the deck (near the river) on Sundays - lots of fun.
Old Mar 4th, 2012, 07:46 PM

How much was that burger, Giulietta? I don't remember!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:51 AM

I think it's about $14.00! It's good (not great, but good), but you're paying for the view you get while eating it!!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 08:54 AM

That's a bargain by NYC standards! No wonder I thought it was a great deal. The view is truly wonderful.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Try to find the time to visit the Monterey Aquarium either on the way or on the way back. http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/
Sounds like a good plan for attending a wedding.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM

I really liked Carmel we stayed at Doris days hotel. If you go as far south as Hearst Castle, that can be great to look around and moonstone beach is a fab place to stay ( and dinner at the Seachest is a must)
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Do you think we need a night in Sonoma? i'm a wine drinker but my husband is not so that's why we opted for the day tour. Do you think that's a wise choice?
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM

If you already have a place in SF - it might be easiest just to take the day tour to Sonoma/Wine Country and return. You will see/experience plenty doing that - and be back in the familiar comfort of your room that night. Here is one company and there are others. http://www.beauwinetours.com/sonoma_...ine_tours.html

Also in Monterrey - Steinbeck's Cannery Row is a must - and you will be right there when you visit the Aquarium. Plenty of cute restaurants there - with great views of the ocean.
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM

And I am also a big fan of Hearst Castle - and it's also a beautiful drive from Big Sur to Hearst Castle/San Simeon - and don't miss the Elephant Seal Beach two miles before you reach the turnoff for Hearst Castle. http://www.hearstcastle.org/
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 06:00 PM

Uno Mas: Nepenthene is a great stop - even if you don't partake of the tres cher burger. They have good coffee - and as I recall - free refills? Or fifty cents, whatever.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions!! I am so excited for our trip! I can't wait!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM

I think the day-trip to Sonoma is fine, especially since your husband is not a wine drinker and you have a tight itinerary.

You are not going far enough south to visit Hearst Castle, so I wouldn't add that to the already packed itinerary that has been laid out.

Save Hearst Castle for another visit when you can see the Central Coast of CA.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM

I second Giulietta's recommendation of breakfast at Deetjen's. A very rustic, unique Big Sur experience with good food.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM

In San Francisco I highly recommend the night tour of Alacatraz! It is a great ride out to the island, the tour gets going at about dusk and it is dark by time it is over and definately a little creepy inside the jail. The ride back in the boat is simply beautiful with the lights of San Francisco in front of you.

Word of advice...book in advance as they sell out ... this is the most popular tour they do.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM

Ooops...forgot to add: In N' Out Burgers! Have them once and you will be hooked. My teens still talk about them.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM

Not far enough south to visit Hearst Castle? They are already at Big Sur and it's what - another scenic 60 miles?. From Big Sur - you could easily do a day trip down to Hearst Castle, take a 2 hour tour and be back that evening.

Here's a driving guide: http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cac...to-Big-Sur.htm

And In N'Out Burgers are tasty - as are the fries - but it's just fast food - nothing really gourmet. The likes of Sandra Bullock made them newsworthy as she would just eat the patty. They will cook your burger to order though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -