Please, help me to decide on a Broadway show.

Old May 9th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please, help me to decide on a Broadway show.

This is my first visit to NYC and will be my first time to go to a Broadway show. I have been trying to decide by reading this forum and other websites. I want to see something with alot of dancing , singing,costumes... big production. I want something that says BROADWAY and since I haven't been to any , I could attend one of the longer running ones should it fit that description. Could anyone help me out with this? I could go to probably two of them. I really want my trip to be memorable. Thanks so much!! I'll be going in July.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:09 PM

We have seen many of the current shows on Broadway and I would suggest Thoroughly Modern Millie. It has been one of the most fun musicals we have seen in awhile, and we've seen many of them.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:24 PM

I can't say enough great things about "Hairspray." It's truly fantastic--the music is super and will have you dancing in your seat. The whole show is full of great song/dance numbers and will give you a terrific Broadway experience.
Old May 9th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Those two shows have been recommended often so, they may fit the bill. Thanks for your recommendations!
Old May 9th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

What about 42nd Street? It appears to be what I'm looking for. Can someone recommend it?
Old May 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM

Nononono - go see Thoroughly Modern Millie - it absolutely knocked me off my feet - it's great!!!! (42nd street could be fine too, but I'm biased - I, and many others, just love TMM!)

Of course if you've never seen anything, you could see one of the all time classics, Phantom of the Opera...If you're here before 5/18 - you can see Les Mis too (I don't think all the shows are sold out yet?)
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:01 AM

We saw Thoroughly Modern Millie, Gypsy, and Hairspray on the same week in April and our whole family (all ages) liked TMM the best.
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I'd recommend seeing Chicago or Aida. I saw both last May and both were great.
Old May 10th, 2003, 07:55 AM

I loved both "Throughly Modern Millie" and "42nd Street". You cannot go wrong with either of these shows. "42nd Street" has a large , rockette type dance number, as well as very pretty mirror dance routine. "TMM" has a fun story line filled with comedy. If you can't see both of them, opt for the show that offers the best seats for when you would like to go. I have not seen "Hairspray" , but hope to do so on next trip to New York.
Old May 10th, 2003, 03:05 PM

Based on your criteria, I would put 42nd Street at the top of the list!
Old May 10th, 2003, 03:23 PM

I haven't seen Hairspray or Millie yet (have tickets for two weeks from now), but having seen the original 42nd Street in the 70's, I was even more impressed with the current production. It is big, beautiful, and impressive. It does meet all your criteria. Listen to Howard!
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou, for all of your suggestions!I think 42nd Street and Thoroughly Modern Millie are the two that I want to see. I did go to Hairspray's website, even though so many people recommend that one, the website convinced me that it's not what I'm looking for. My husband on the other hand wants to see the one about George Burns (I forgot the exact name). I'm not crazy about that but, I guess we will have to do three. Has anyone seen that one? I tried to convince him that ,"The Play What I Wrote" might be better than that but, he isn't convinced. He wants to see comedy. The good thing about these shows is that I think I can get them at a discounted rate. Thanks again!
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Trisha, Hairspray is a far better show that Thoroughly Modern Millie!
Old May 10th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Really Howard? I trust your opinion from what I have read on this forum. You think I should chose Hairspray and 42nd Street? Is the George Burns ,Say Goodnight Gracie, good also? Michael (My husband) wants to know. What should we do? We have decided to chose three.
Old May 11th, 2003, 02:31 AM

I guess I'm one of the few who did not care for Hairspray. Because this is not only your first visit to NYC but also your first Broadway show, I think you should see 42nd Street. You will love it, and it meets all the requirements you mention (singing, dancing, costumes).
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:40 AM

Trisha, I haven't seen Say Goodnight Gradce, but if your husband is a big fan of George Burns, then go for it!
As I previously wrote, 42nd Street definitely fits your criteria and should top your list. Hairspray is great, great fun--and it does meet your criteria, as well!
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:30 AM

Remember to check the TKTS booth at 49th Street and Broadway for half priced tickets. I believe "Goodnight, Gracie" is often on sale there. I doubt "Hairspray" is, but you never know.
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:55 AM

I would also say that Chicago is a true Broadway musical.

Old May 14th, 2003, 10:38 AM

Trisha, please please please see 42nd Street! It's my all-time personal fave and I"ve seen tons of musicals/shows over the years. Hairspray was also fantastic, but it's not as flashy and showy as 42nd Street. It opens with this spectacular number that you will never forget. It's fun and a wonderful experience. You will not be disappointed. Haven't seen Millie, sounds like I should get on that from what other people say! I also just saw Nine, in which the individual performances were terrific but overall was just okay.
Old May 14th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Am not a huge fan of musicals, but I really enjoyed 42nd street. It big, flashy and definitely says "Broadway". Seems like what you are looking for. I got reduced priced tickets at the Tkts booth.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -