Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   please help me plan my new york city trip. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-me-plan-my-new-york-city-trip-892871/)

Pepper83 May 30th, 2011 06:44 AM

please help me plan my new york city trip.

We live in rochester new york. for my sons tenth birthday we thought that it would be a good idea to tame my son to a yankees game in nyc. we will also be bringing his 10 year old cousin. We are seeing yankees versus boston red sox third week of september. We had no idea how expensive the tickets were so that cut into our budget. Now my dilema is where should we stay. ill be arriving on amtrak to penn station on friday september 23rd ann schedule to leave on monday september 26th. I priced hotels in new york city and found them to be way too expensive. One of the issuse are that the hotel rooms are small and only have 1 bed eache and of course with 4 people we would require 2 beds. I check on priceline and it appeared it we would have to book 2 rooms for 4 people. I am thinking we have to stay outside of a new york city and just make sure anna subway line so do we can get into the city for day trips.any suggestions would be appreciated greatly

abram May 30th, 2011 07:51 AM

Although we've always stayed in Manhattan, some people have recommended staying in the Long Island City section of Queens.

Could you make one of the Affinia properties or the Radio City Apartments work?

ellenem May 30th, 2011 08:48 AM

Some hotels have two beds, but they are not available on Priceline. For example, Park South Hotel in Manhattan has rooms with two double beds and the price includes breakfast. Try a service like hotels.com to find more options.

What is your actual budget? Knowingn this will help us help you.

Pepper83 May 30th, 2011 09:10 AM

Thank you for your response. I would like to spend no more than $155 per night. I do have the government rate or AAa option if offered.

tchoiniere May 30th, 2011 09:25 AM

Just a heads up, the crowd that night may not be suitable for most children, depending on where you are sitting. There will be some harsh potentially vulgar language due to the rivals in the game. You may not hear it or could be amongst it. I know I would not bring a 10 year old to the bleachers at Fenway for a game. Not sure if its really the reciprocal but I did hear a lot of harassment of Blue Jays fans when I was there.

nytraveler May 30th, 2011 10:06 AM

There are a bunch of hotels in NYC that have at least some rooms with 2 double beds - but getting one in September for $155 a night isn;t very realistic that time of year.

I would reserve something that you an afford now - you might want to consider Jersey City (but that is likely to still be too expesnive) or Long Island City. The latter is a mixed used area (some warehouses, body shops etc among budget motels) but you would need to be sure you get one very close to a subway. You might find something there in your price range.

Meantime watch the other discount sites that let you specify more than 2 people. check out kayak, hotwire and travelzoo. Sometimes the hotels down in the financial district have specials over the weekends when there are fewer business traveler - and you might find something not too far above your budget.

As for the game - yes, you will probably hear a lot of vulgarity - but should not meet with any hostility unless you show Red Sox "colors". I would definitely not do that. Also be aware that security is very strict at the Stadium - you can;t bring in anything larger than a hand bag and everything you bring will be searched (no alcohol allowed).

4cruizin May 30th, 2011 10:42 AM

I found what looks to be a good deal in Fort Lee, NJ. http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...ation#roomrate
I am from NYC and I don't know if I would stay in the Bronx.. Too many areas I'm not familiar with and my concern is safety. I would feel that way in most hotels in NYC, just because you're not necessarily going to go visit them and see the neighborhood before going.

I know someone from Fort Lee and Jersey would be a good bet. NYC hotels are, generally, going to be a little tough, price-wise.

The link above provides 2 dbl beds in one room for about $135/night. My thinking is, that's a great deal. Plus, this hotel looks to be only about 11 min. away by car, I believe. I just googled 'stay in hotel easy access to yankee stadium.'

You're going to have a great time. It is such a blast going to a Yankee's game!!

Elkaz May 30th, 2011 10:47 AM

I would not go to Fort Lee without knowing in advance what are the transportation options for getting back to your hotel after the game. Most of the transportation to NJ is designed for commuters, not for tourists. The money you save on a hotel can easily be more than swallowed on getting to and from New Jersey.

Long Island City has become a very viable alternative to for tourists who can't afford Manhattan. Long Island city is a neighborhood in Queens. These hotels are all a 5 minute subway ride from Manhattan. To get to and from Yankee stadium you would take the subway to Manhattan and change trains for one to the stadium. This is al done at $2.25 per person. ( assuming you are using pay by ride metro cards) Also, the system runs 24/7 and you will be shocked at the standing room only crowds in the middle of the night.

nytraveler May 30th, 2011 01:03 PM

Before booking a hotel in Fort Lee I would explore the options for getting to the stadium from there - esp at 10:30 or 11 pm. I think it could be very difficult by public transit. You can use hopstop.com to give you routes, time and costs.

SueNYC May 30th, 2011 01:05 PM

If you stroll up to the Met through the Park early in the morning, dogs are allowed off leash until 9 so the scene on the Great Lawn is hilarious. Owners know each other's dogs but they don't know each other's names.

Pepper83 May 30th, 2011 02:00 PM

Thanks for all your input so far. I am looking in long island city