Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help me find a hotel or B&B near the JW Marriott in Washington DC

Mar 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

We are going to a convention and staying at the JW Marriott. Want to extend our trip for one night but the Marriott prices are too steep for us. I'd like to find a B&B (or even another hotel) that is very near the Marriott where we could move to for our last night (a Sunday). Hopefully something $200-250 (or less???) a night.

There are so many hotels & B&Bs in DC that I'm confused on locations. Any advise would be much appreciated.
Mar 21st, 2007, 11:23 AM

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn, about four blocks straight up 14th from the JW Marriott, a couple of weekends ago and were perfectly happy with it. It's about a 5-7 minute walk. If you click on my screen name, you'll find our review (late Feb). It was $169 for Saturday night and $189 for a Sunday night (which was added at the last minute due to a flight cancellation), plus taxes.
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the Hilton Garden Inn website and the rate for the night I want is $308 (including the tax).

I'm hoping maybe a B&B would be less expensive.
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM

Check out www.quikbook.com and see if you can find a better rate. They often have better rates than what is posted on the hotel web site. Also, try Priceline. I have had some good luck with that. There are lots of great hotels in the area, so you should be able to find something. Try the new Embassy Suites on 10th St. NW, the Courtyard by Marriott at 9th and F, or some of the boutique hotels around the city.
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:34 PM

I doubt there are any B&Bs downtown, but you'd probably do OK with Priceline for a Sunday night. Any 3- or 4- star in the Convention-Metro center or Dupont zones would be fine (a short taxi ride if too far to walk from the JW).
Mar 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Rates from the hotel sites (all include the tax):
Embassy Suites $358
Courtyard Marriott $411
JW Marriott $456

The Quikbook link shows four downtown hotels under $200:
The Quincy
Beacon Hotel & Corporate Quarters
Henley Park
Wyndham Washington

Any thoughts on those?

Mar 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
JJ5

I stayed at the Qunicy last month for a week. I'll top another thread so you can see what I thought.

If you are only there for a Sunday night it might be a good deal, because the huge sound/noise factor behind it is "off" on Saturday and Sunday nights but non-stop the other 5. It is nothing like a B&B but has huge rooms/suites and great beds. Also its location is fantastic between 2 Metro stations 1 and 2 blocks- different directions: Faragut West & Farragut North stations. We got everywhere in minutes.

I would consider this since the prices in D.C. since about Feb. 21st have been astronomical- much higher than NYC or Chicago for the same smaller room, IMHO.
Mar 21st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on the Quincy (and topping the other post). I'm pretty surprised at the rates I'm seeing for a Sunday night. I may just book something for now and give Priceline a try a little closer to our travel dates.

Mar 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

Is the hassle of packing all your stuff for one night worth it? You are going to lose a good two hours of your day checking out of the J.W. Marriott and tromping to another hotel to check in. Plus all the packing and unpacking.
Mar 21st, 2007, 01:26 PM

I haven't stayed at the Quincy, but we often have business folks in town stay at the Henley Park, which is charming, and across the street at the Morrison Clark House (forgot about that one in my original post, so check it too). They are both walking distance to Chinatown, which has tons of great restaurants of all prices and types, shopping, and a bowling alley. Check those two out. I've also had friends mention the Dupont Circle B&B.
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Changing hotels is a hassle but the JW Marriott is $457 for the night we need which is way out of our price range. So we'll either find another hotel of just leave town a day earlier than planned.

I'll check out the Morrison House and the Dupont B&B. Thanks for the suggestions.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Jury's Hotel?
Mar 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM

I assume you mean the The Jurys Washington Hotel and not the Jurys Normandy Inn. Both are good hotels but The Jurys Washington Hotel has a much better location. From the Jurys Normandy Inn you would be taking a lot of taxis.

Another hotel to consider is Tabard Inn. They are great because the prices stay the same year round - first come first served.
Each unique room is priced individually. All well within your price range.

www.tabardinn.com

Both the Jurys Washington Hotel and the Tabard Inn are convenient to the Dupont Metro station.
Mar 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM

To check the proximity of hotels, go to stationmasters.com and click on their zoned hotel maps.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

If your main objectives are cheap and not going far, the Hotel Harrington is right down the street from the Marriott, at 12th and E. Assuming you don't have too much luggage, you could easily walk. I have never stayed there myself, and many intowners refer to this place as a real dive. However, I know there are also a couple of posters on this board who have thought it was a great find for the money. Do a search on the name, and you'll see the various accounts. Perhaps for one night, it wouldn't be so bad.

On the other hand, if you are going to get into a taxi, it seems to me that rather than look for a hotel that is close to the Marriott, you might as well use it as an opportunity to stay in a different part of town. The Tabard Inn suggestion is a good one that will allow you to see the Dupont Circle area. As just mentioned on another thread, I am also partial to the Capitol Suites, on Capitol Hill. Either of these would give you a glimpse into DC's residential neighborhoods. If you opt for Capitol Hill, you might want to check out Eastern Market, which has a pretty lively crafts and flea market on Sundays, in addition to the produce/meat/grocer vendors inside the market hall. Another option would be to look for a hotel closer to Georgetown -- e.g. the River Inn might be in your price range.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:26 PM

er, the name of the hotel I was suggesting above is the Capitol Hill Suites
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. We've decided since we have quite a bit of luggage to deal with (business trip with all the computer equipment, etc.) that since we can't stay over at the JW Marriott we'll skip the extra night this time.

I'm saving all the great hotel suggestions for a personal trip that we'll plan for this area later (when we can be more relaxed about it).