Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please help me decide how to use my NWA tickets for a four day weekend! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-me-decide-how-to-use-my-nwa-tickets-for-a-four-day-weekend-554329/)

mosey Aug 25th, 2005 02:41 PM

Please help me decide how to use my NWA tickets for a four day weekend!

I need your help in deciding on a destination for a family of four, son (10), daughter (11). We had to cancel a two week trip in the NE this summer, and I have to use or lose the tickets; therefore book the trip in the next week. Here are some of my issues: flying October 19 or 20 and returning October 23, need a non-stop flight from Minneapolis since we are there only a short time, willing to drive about one hour after we get to the destination, but again no longer due to short time, desire to stay in the same place - makes life a lot easier for travel with kids. I had posted a message requesting this information, and I should have been more specific so I decided to do this again. We are looking for a more laid back, relaxed vacation (would love the Junipine Resort in Sedona, AZ atmosphere!), where we would do hiking, biking (not mountain) and historical sites. We have been to the following places in the last several years: San Diego, San Francisco, Chicago, Sedona, Portland, Aspen, and Boston. The best trip in which all family members loved - Boston! Plus, we stayed at a B&B type hotel in Boston which the kids loved. The wierd thing is that we can fly to Denver extrememly cheap, but since I have to use these tickets ($280 per value), I would lose money. Probably irrational, but......

Again, looking for great scenery and more relaxed environment during October 19/20-23. Thanks for all your help, and for the patience of those who responded to my original post several weeks ago.

Maggi Aug 25th, 2005 06:30 PM

I believe Northwest does a nonstop from Minneapolis to Charleston, S.C. It has a lot of historical interest and you could stay on one of the neighboring islands (Kiawah, Isle of Palms, etc.)and enjoy the beach as well. That should be an excellent time of year to visit the area. We are renting a 3 bedroom condo on Kiawah for $795/wk this Labor Day week.

mosey Aug 26th, 2005 06:28 AM

Hi, Maggi, thank you for your suggestion. My husband and I talked about Charleston before so I looked and there aren't any non-stops. We grabbed an atlas last night, and decided Montana, then Missoula because of NWA flights so if I have any specific questions I'll post under MT. Thank you for your input, Maggi. We will get to Charleston sometime!

Maggi Aug 26th, 2005 11:29 AM

Mosey, yesterday Orbitz did show one Northwest nonstop, and today it doesn't show any...hmmm. Sorry.

sunset520 Aug 26th, 2005 04:58 PM

Hello

If your tickets are worth 280.00 you probably will have to pay a 100.00 change fee per ticket to change them making the tickets now worth 180.00 so I would go to Denver. You could then drive up to Rocky Mountain Naional Park and stay in Estes Park. They have shops, biking trails and many nice hotels. I stayed at the Comfort Inn for about 80.00 a night. It had a microwave/frig in the room and sat on a hill up the road from Lake Estes.
The aspen trees will be a beautiful gold and the elk will be out looking to round up more mates.

TC Aug 27th, 2005 05:22 AM

Its not Sedona....but your kids are the perfect age for Washington, DC. The Smithsonian alone could entertain them for the whole weekend. Great history, hiking or biking in Rock Creek Park, lots of "cool" stuff to see and do, The National Zoo, an easy flight. Just pray that NW settles their mechanic's strike soon.

rkkwan Aug 27th, 2005 06:30 AM

MSP-CHS (Chaleston, SC) non-stop is Saturday only.

cmcfong Aug 27th, 2005 07:48 AM

Missoula is fabulous. Great opportunity for hiking and good restaurants. Beautiful area which you will enjoy.

Next time you are faced with such a choice consider Charlotte, NC. You could drive to a number of pretty areas (Greenville, SC, Blowing Rock, NC) from there.