Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please Help Me Choose - Blakely, Beacon, Inn on 23rd Street or Hotel Metro, New York?

Search

Please Help Me Choose - Blakely, Beacon, Inn on 23rd Street or Hotel Metro, New York?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to post a new message, but I just added the Beacon Hotel and the Inn on 23rd to the mix.

I am trying to decide between the Blakely, Beacon, the Inn on 23rd or the Hotel Metro in NYC for my family of 4 this summer and would love advice. We need three beds as my children are getting too big to share a bed.

The Blakely has a one bedroom suite with 2 double beds, a daybed in the living room and a kitchenette. The rate is $405/night and breakfast is not included. We don't mind sharing a room with one of our children.

The Hotel Metro has a family suite - 2 bedrooms, one with a Queen bed and one with 2 doubles. There is no kitchenette but a continental breakfast is included. The rate is $375/night.

The Beacon has a one bedroom suite with 2 doubles, a kitchenette and a sofabed in the living room. The rate is $298/night and breakfast is not included. We have stayed in the UWS area once before and loved the area but are concerned this hotel may be a bit "tired".

The Inn on 23rd Street has a one bedroom suite with a Queen bed, and a Queen sofa and twin daybed in the living room. The rate is $399/night including a large continental breakfast.

Is one hotel in a better area than the others? We would like to be in a nice area with restaurants and easy subway access.

Thank you for your help!

Old Feb 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM

I can't tell you anything about the Beacon, but I have stayed at the Metro and can tell you that the rooms are typical NYC TINY! But everything was clean and classy, and the staff were lovely. It's also in a great location. I would stay there again.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:38 PM

The family suites at teh Hotel Metro are actually pretty good sized, and that's what I'd recommend if you can afford it. If not, then kep looking. If this is a completely cancellable rate, then book it and keep looking. Have you tried Radio City Apartments? That is cheaper, though not fancy. But it has an unbeatable location.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Both the Beacon (Upper West Side) and the Inn on 23rd (Chelsea) are in more residential neighborhoods with good subway access to most of the city. As you might expect, those are the places that are more amenable to walking around and stumbling into casual restaurants.

Chelsea is the more commercial of the two. There are subways within a block, but it is also within walking distance of places like The Emptre State Building.
I haven't stayed at the Inn on 23rd as I live here, but I have passed by it. It's on a fairly busy cross street and FYI, is right next door to a church with a homeless shelter. I am also wondering if the B&B is considered "suitable" for children (don't know how old yours are!)

The Upper West Side is more family oriented and has the Museum of Natural History (and several art museums an easy bus ride across town). The Beacon is considered a more moderate, not fancy hotel.

Another question is whether you want that in-room kitchenette. "Large continental breakfast" might be good, or might not. If you think you might want to have dinner "at home", the kitchenette might be really handy
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM

I like the Blakely, and there is a diner for breakfast right around the corner.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Can I complicate matters further by throwing in the Salisbury? They have a one bedroom suite with two doubles, a sofabed and a kitchenette for $285/night (no breakfast included.)