Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please help me choose a restaurant in Las Vegas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-me-choose-a-restaurant-in-las-vegas-728306/)

fun4all4 Aug 12th, 2007 10:53 AM

Please help me choose a restaurant in Las Vegas

HI All,

I will be going to Las Vegas August 18th-24th for a work conference/convention. It is my first ever trip to Vegas - I am traveling with a few women from the office, but no family. We will be staying at the Bellagio and most of trip will be filled with work including meals. I have not been able to spend the same amount of time as usual planning (ie. obsessing) the trip details. So, I am hoping for some help from you Vegas lovers.

I am arriving one day early and would like to spend my afternoon and evening enjoying myself and relaxing. I am not a gambler but love good food. I have one colleague who is also available that evening who is also interested in a nice dinner and maybe a show (Love was our first choice, but it is "dark" on the 18th).

She has suggested:
Bouchon
B&B Ristorante
Aureole

In addition to those, I am also considering:
Bartolotta
Daniel Boulud
Mesa Grill
Olives (although I may try to catch that during the week since we are staying at the Bellagio and I'd like to check out some other hotels)
Postrio

Can you help us choose?

I am primarily interested in Italian, Southwestern, PanAsian, or French (although I was just in France for 2 weeks and have eaten lots of Frech recently, but I think it is my colleagues' first choice). Italian might be a good compromise. We are willing to spend up to around $100 per person, but don't want to step into Guy Savoy or Robuchon territory.

Any comments or recommendations as far as a fun and good dining experience?
I welcome other suggestions as well (shows, where it might be neat to walk around a bit, etc...). I think my main priority though will be some pool time, a nice meal and a bit of exploring.

Many thanks for any help! :-)

dawnnoelm Aug 12th, 2007 11:06 AM

I have dined at several you listed and my favorites are:
Daniel Boulud
Mesa Grill
Bouchon

Well - actually I dined at Mesa Grill in the Bahamas - but would hope it is consistent in Vegas.

I can say that in all our dining experinece in Vegas I have been very pleased with service as well as the food. I hope you enjoy your time.

What other show are you considering seeing?

ChristieP Aug 12th, 2007 11:23 AM

Right across the street from Bellagio is Mon Ami Gabi, which is a very nice French restaurant. Their steak frites are excellent! You can sit outside under the misters and watch the Bellagio fountains!

travelinwifey Aug 12th, 2007 12:28 PM

Aureole will be more than $100pp, there is a set menu at $89 or $99 w/o drinks or tip. Also the food is very mediocre. You go there when someone else is paying but it is pretty.

Bouchon unanimously gets top ranks for locals that do business on the strip (drug companies).

Daniel Boulud is very good. As well as Olives. Olives changes the menu and you might not always find something to your exact liking but you can't go wrong with the steaks.

Other considerations that are my favorites that are different with beautiful decor:

Red Square at the Mandalay Bay - excellent steak w/roquefort dressing
Tao (if you're into really trendy dining)

All of the upscale restaurants in Caesar's are good and a newer favorite for steak is Stack inside the Mirage.

dawnnoelm Aug 12th, 2007 12:30 PM

I did not care for Toa - dh did and almost everyone else I know.. I am the cheese that stands alone.

I do like BOA which is in the Forum shops area.

TahitiTams Aug 12th, 2007 12:42 PM

Love Daniel Boulud's brasserie at the Wynn..somewhat reasonable and we even brought our own Silver Oak Cab and I forgot what corkage was..it was under $200 with tip and that was app's, entree, dessert, latte and port!
I have been to Bouchon but only for mussels and champagne at the bar but hear its the wonderful for breakfast as well.
Eaten several times at Delmonico's at the Venetian and we actually enjoyed Emeril's place.
Love the sushi at Okada at the Wynn.
Have a great time in Vegas.

fun4all4 Aug 12th, 2007 01:23 PM

Great, thanks. This is very helpful.:-)

So far, I am leaning towards Bouchon or Daniel Boulud. I will try to get to Olives during the week - there are 2 nights when I have cocktail-type receptions, but no dinner obligation. Also, will think about Tao or Okada if she will consider Asian/Sushi. Any other good sushi near/in the Bellagio that I could have during the week? I like steak, but think I'd rather do something other than a steakhouse if I have to pick and choose among so many good options. Aureole sounds nice, but it seems I have other great options at a lower price so I think I will pick one of those.

Does anyone know anything about B&B Ristorante? It is the one I have seen the least about - it is the place by M. Batali and Leo Bastianich (Lydia's son).

As for shows, maybe "O" or "Mystere?" Spamalot is coming to DC this fall/winter and my family wants to go so I will wait for them. I have seen Mama Mia. I don't know much about what is playing to be honest. Plus, I don't want to rush through a meal to get to a show and with jetlag, I think 9:00pm is about as late as I'll be able to handle dinner on the first night.

Thanks again. I look forward to hearing any other thoughts!
Happy travels everyone.

dawnnoelm Aug 12th, 2007 01:33 PM

fun4all4 - I went to see O on a first night there - and it created some stress - and I ended up falling asleep. It is stressful because with air delays being what they are it is always a touch and go to buy show tickets (in my opinion) on your first night there...

Everyone else I know loved "Love" so I think that my being so tired had something to do with it. I tend to like to see an early show and then have a later dinner because I can get sleepy after a good bottle of wine.

I have never seen O but dh has and he really enjoyed it as did several close friends. I was not a huge fan of Mystere.

dawnnoelm Aug 12th, 2007 01:40 PM

fun4all - just read my post - I did not see O - not sure why I typed that - I saw Love on a night we arrived and was very tired and we had dined... no "O"
:-)

hugglynn Aug 12th, 2007 02:44 PM

For shows, I did a post asking about the Vegas shows before my trip last month--hands down the comments were for Mystiere...we got front row tickets and loved it. You have to understand what sheer feats of strength these performers are actually doing to appreciate the show.
As for B&B, haven't eaten there, but can tell you it is in the Venetian.

Leburta Aug 12th, 2007 03:17 PM

I have not seen Love, but have seen the other Cirque du Soleil productions in Vegas (as well as Cheval, which was only there for a short run a few years ago) and one in L.A. I enjoyed Mystere so much that I have seen it twice and might go again. It is not as big a production as other (like O), but the stunts are breathtaking and very athletic.

We enjoyed Bouchon several times. It is very much the typical French bistro.

Another restaurant we enjoy is Hugo's Cellar in the Four Queens Hotel (great food, wonderful service).

nycgirl1 Aug 12th, 2007 03:52 PM

we ate at Mesa Grill in March and I can't even tell you how good it was - we eat out a LOT so I was trying to manage my expectations, but we were both blown away by our meals.

highly recommend.

nycgirl1 Aug 12th, 2007 03:53 PM

oops! posted too soon.

Also saw "O" on this trip and really, really enjoyed it. I wish we'd had closer seats to really see the makeup/costumes, but having a view of the entire stage was incredible as well. I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this show!

Pumpy Aug 12th, 2007 04:46 PM

Couple of suggestions:

Rao's (Italian) over Mesa Grill
Mystere or Love over O

cynstalker Aug 12th, 2007 04:49 PM

We loved Le Cirque at the Bellagio when we were there last year - really wonderful food!

fun4all4 Aug 12th, 2007 06:53 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks. :-)

Our flight comes in at around 10:00 am , but that means an early start from the East Coast. So, I will probably skip a show. But, if I do one, it looks like Mystere - I will check it out.

I will let you know what I decide on dining - I don't think I can go wrong with the top recommendations here.

roy2moira Aug 12th, 2007 08:40 PM

I second Mon Ami Gabi, a French restaurant, just across the street from Bellagio.

The food is excellent. We hit this placed at least once each time we are in LV.

The prime spot for us is to sit on the patio for people watching (a fun sport in LV) & a great view of the fountains.

travelinwifey Aug 12th, 2007 08:59 PM

The sushi restaurant at the Bellagio is supposed to be good though I haven't tried it myself. You can also try The Social House at the TI for sushi, another celeb hangout.