Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP!! I have spent the last 4 months planning our first trip to D.C. and Virginia...Computer crashed and I lost my itinerary!

Search

PLEASE HELP!! I have spent the last 4 months planning our first trip to D.C. and Virginia...Computer crashed and I lost my itinerary!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Toni

I had everything mapped out and some special places to eat and visit on our trip....and then Jan 1st my computers hard drive failed and I lost a lot of my data, one file being my itinerary that I have been working on for several months.
We will be landing in Dulles and going to Manassas the first night to see the battlefields, then down to Charlottesville for 2 nights to see Monticello (staying at the Inn on South street) and then to Williamsburg (staying at the Williamsburg Lodge for 2 nights) and then to D.C. for 3 nights at the Radisson Barcelo.
Many of you have helped me along the way in planning this trip but I've lost so many of the little places to go and experience along the way.
One comes to mind: a restaurant that several people recommended out of Williamsburg, "The riverfront" or Riverwalk" restaurant???
Any other suggestions on a tavern that you would most recommend?
OR the route to take from Manassas to Charlottesville? and places to see or stop along the way??
Any suggestions would be very, very much appreciated.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 02:51 PM
E.

Poor you! I think perhaps the restaurant outside Williamsburg that was recommended to you might be Nick's Seafood Pavillion, on the York River waterfront. As for CW (colonial Williamsburg) taverns, there have been lots of threads here lately with very detailed info on all of them, so do a search...the bottom line is that all of them are quite good, with good food and atmosphere, and not too kitschy.
As for Dupont Circle in DC. I would highly recommend the baked goods at the Firehook Bakery, on P near 19th; Johnny's Half Shell for gumbo; Pesce for seafood; Raku for Asian nibbles and huge salads. Hope this helps--good luck!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Nan

If you travel outside of DC during your visit to Old Towne Alexandria (just across the river) I recommend Geranio Italian Restaurant on King Street. It's away from the T-shirt and trinket shops, excellent food and atmosphere. If you are there for lunch the Fish Market serves excellent chowder. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:32 PM
VAgirlinCA

Ohmygosh! Is Nick's still there? I a graduate student in summer school at William and Mary in 1968 and spent many summer evenings out there on the wharf. I can remember the most excellent Greek salad.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Joy in VA

NIck's is indeed still there, tho NIck Mathews himself and his widow Mary passed away some years ago. They did leave land and money to Yorktown to create the Yorktown Victory Center, a museum dedicated to the Revolution and the final battles at Yorktown. Nick and Mary were Greek immigrants who were very grateful for their success, they did not have any kids, so left this legacy - a nice plaque to Nick is at the victory Center entrance. His widow did live to see it dedicated. another neat note: Nick was supportive of immigrants / refugees, giving them work in his restaurant and local enterprises. For many years in late 70s the maitre'd at Nicks was a Vietnamese refugee that my dad had met first in Saigon - they were so happy to meet each other again at Nick's of all places!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 09:39 AM
E.

Nick's, that is, the restaurant itself, and several other parcels of land owned by Nick and Mary were just purchased by York County, to be used in their big revitalization plan for the waterfront. Let's hope that they don't turn the place into one big mall, and that Nick's stays its wonderful, kitschy self!

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Elizabeth

Can you do searches here for names of places you are visiting? That way you might find your own posts and suggestions made to you.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Toni

Elizabeth...I did that last night and was able to copy and paste lots of information that I had before. The name of the restaurant close to Williamsburg was "The Rivers Inn" and someone told me to get a table inside.