Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Please Help!!! 2 couples looking for nice condo or hotel in Kauai. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-help-2-couples-looking-for-nice-condo-or-hotel-in-kauai-42663/)

Melanie Apr 20th, 1999 07:33 PM

Please Help!!! 2 couples looking for nice condo or hotel in Kauai.

A two bedroom, or one br with 2 beds with an ocean view would be nice. They don't have to be fancy, but an A/c is preferred. Clean and comfortable. This is our 1st time to Hawaii, and any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linda Apr 21st, 1999 09:01 AM

Melanie, A lot of the condos don't have a/c - you really don't need it, but it is nice to have. The Embassy Vacation Resort in Poipu is one of the few condos that have a/c. There isn't a beach there, but they have a fabulous pool and the property is right next door to the Hyatt, which has a beach and some nice restaurants. The unit I stayed in was very nice and clean. It's been a year and a half since I was there so I don't know how much has changed. But some of the exterior trim looked a little worn and I thought that was an indication of the inside, but it wasn't. The inside was very nice. There is also pretty nice continental breakfast included as well as a "happy hour" snacks and cocktails. Maid service too. Just like a hotel, but all the comforts of home. If you decide against a condo, I would suggest the Hyatt. Very very nice. <BR>

Tracy Apr 22nd, 1999 07:33 AM

Melanie, <BR>You might consider Whalers Cove on the <BR>Poipu side (just near spouting horn) they offer very luxurious condominiums <BR>with sweeping ocean views. All units <BR>are 2 bedroom 2 bath. There is no air conditioning but it's not needed. Below is a small snorkeling area but no beach the beach at Poipu is just a 2 min drive. You can walk but the roads are kind of narrow. I know a few compies offer this resort but I have found Suite Paradise to be less than 1/2 the price of the others. (I still have not figured out why) <BR>Tracy <BR>

Helayne Apr 22nd, 1999 02:44 PM

Check out this condo we stayed at last year: <BR>http://www.ivacation.com/p5427.htm <BR>Can't remember if there's AC since the trade winds keep everything cool! We were there in March '98. The beach right in front isn't really safe to swim but you can use the pool next door at the Outrigger. Beach down the street about 5 min. by car or you could walk along the beach. The owner, Judy Dalton, was very helpful with info on Kauai! email her at [email protected] <BR>Have a trip! <BR>

ellen Apr 22nd, 1999 05:59 PM

re: Linda's response on Embassy/Poipu Point. Just returned from a week there ( and a week on the Big Island). Would never stay at Poipu Point again-ever. A little run down some of the staff were a bit "unresponsive" and the constant push to "buy a time-share" gets old real fast. The "pool" is for kids-the deepest it gets is about 2 feet and the sand beach around it is like construction sand. <BR>You're right-the Hyatt is a beautiful place-have stayed there a number of times and will do so again. Melanie, you can also try Princeville area-lots of condos up there, too. PS. We went kayaking while in Kauai-lots of fun, saw beautiful sights, hiked in to a waterfall. It's a beautiful island!

Melanie Apr 27th, 1999 06:24 PM

Thanks for all of your useful information!!!!

mfoshee Apr 30th, 1999 10:45 AM

Try the Kauai Vacation Planner website -- they have lots of condo listings. That's how I found accomodations for several trips. You can sort by price on some of the agent sites. <BR> <BR>I prefer the North Shore -- weather is slightly unpredictable, but the scenery more than compensates. <BR>

Renee Apr 30th, 1999 01:15 PM

I actually just returned from Maui, but I was in Kauai Feb '95. I stayed in Poipu at the Kiahuna Plantation. They have 2-story buildings with various size condos. I had a very modern spacious 1 br. They do not have A/C though. They have some great oceanfront units. It's on a nice (sort of small) beach that had good snokeling and swimming. We saw alot of sea turtles. <BR> <BR>They also had some nice tennis courts. The only downside was the pool. It was very basic and not that nice. <BR> <BR>When I went, two different management companies handled specific units. My unit was managed by Outrigger. I got a great deal using my entertainment book. ( This was four years ago..so things could have changed) <BR> <BR>

annemarie May 1st, 1999 02:59 AM

The north shore does have the superior scenery. I think Nov.-April is the rainier season. We were there in July and it was drier than a bone. We stayed at the Hyatt, the Embassy Vacation Resort at Poipu and the Princeville. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the Hanalei Bay and Resorts on the north shore in Hanalei. They have regular rooms plus rooms with kitchenettes and larger units. They also offer a discount with the entertainment book so when you call their 800 number be sure to ask for the entertainment rate. Annemarie

Bev May 1st, 1999 07:39 PM

Last year my family stayed at a very nice condo at Pali Ke Kua, on the north shore, just down from the Princeville Hotel. It was around $150 a night. We requested an ocean front and could see "Bali Hai" from the lanai - it was beautiful. The beach is down a rather steep path, below the condos. There was pretty good snorkeling there. Hanelei Bay, a couple of miles away, is a neat little town. We did the luau at the Princeville Hotel and it was delicious - the best food I've ever had at a buffet, and we enjoyed the show also. There are lots of beaches in the area or down the road towards Lihue - can't remember the names anymore, but they were nearly deserted. We bought fresh fish at a fish shop in Hanelei Bay and cooked in the condo, which had a gorgous view of the coast and the ocean. One way to book at Pali Ke Kua is at this website: <BR>http://wwte.com/hawaii/kauai/prince5.htm <BR>Have a great time - we did! <BR>

vladdie Jan 21st, 2008 03:42 PM

My husband and I swear by Poipu Kai Resort (condo complex) using Suite Paradise, one of the local condo companies. Super prices and nice condos with grass and palm trees and within walking distance to the ocean. You can look at www.suiteparadise.com

We have stayed at Poipu Kai Resort twice, through the Suite Paradise folks (not Aston) and we love it!

iamq Jan 21st, 2008 03:47 PM

This thread is almost 10 years old.

anna_roz Jan 21st, 2008 05:39 PM

LOL

kealalani Jan 21st, 2008 07:15 PM

you one quick buggah iamq

iamq Jan 21st, 2008 07:22 PM

Not as quick as it might seem...check out the French Laundry thread. LOL.