Please! Don't Post Twice!

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please! Don't Post Twice!

I have noticed an epidemic of mutliple messages of the same topic. I imagine the authors get antsy because it may take a while to get a response. Or, they may see a delay in the new message showing up on their web browser--try refreshing after you post; or log out and log back in to make sure your message really didn't take.

The problem is that responses to your message(s) may get broken into two--or more--threads. That is frustrating to all of us because lots of threads develop a sort of narrative, a connectivity that leads to insights and valuable information. When you have people responding to several different threads, you lose that connectivity. Also, it is much more time-consuming to keep track of a thread you wish to follow if you have to find several versions of that thread.

Solution? Simply add a reply to your own message--it can be as simple as "hey, a little help?" or "ttt" (for to the top). The reply will send your messaged rocketing to the top of the message list! Problem solved.

Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:08 AM

And while you’re at it:

• Pack light.
• Check air and oil before hitting the road.
• Take time to smell the roses.
• Do to others as you would have them do to you.
• Smile.
• Live as though today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Please post your question again in a different sentance. I don't get your question.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:50 AM

ho-hum, the post patrol is at it again.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Dear Beach Dweller,
I just did exactly what you are cautioning against!! I posted last night at around 8:30PM, I saw the post and signed off for the night. When I went on about 20 minutes ago, I checked the Florida section and General Interest and couldn't find my initial post, so I just rewrote the question.

Does the post disappear when someone is responding? I never recall that happening and I've been using this Board for years. Anyhow, sorry for the double post and thanks to those who responded. Please keep your suggestions coming in.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I think a lot of the duplicate post are people posting the same question on what they think are two different regions forums not realizing that they all show up on the "general" United States forum.

Example: Say someone is going to the Grand Canyon and Zion. Grand Canyon being in Arizona so the ask the question on Arizona forum and then since Zion is in Utah, they will post the same question on Utah forum...not realizing that the question shows up twice on the "general" board.

Utahtea
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:09 AM

I think sometimes posters cannot find their original thread as it has been pushed down the line by new threads and so they repost.

For those that can't find their original thread you can click on your name and you will see it.

Anyway, with all the worlds problem double posting is not my biggest worry, LOL.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM

I'll really try not too!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Oooops!!!!
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:33 PM
sks

beach dweller - It can take a little while to get used to how this place works. I have looked for a certain post at times and thought it was gone and then after 'refreshing' a couple of times it shows up. The system seems to have some quirks that take a little getting used to. Thankfully some kind fodorite told me about the 'click on your name' trick once when I couldn't find a post.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM

I'm fairly certain that beach_dweller's post was offered in helpfulness, not blame. So, post-patrol is inappropriate. Thanks for offering the suggestion, beach_dweller! Unfortunately, most people who do post twice for whatever reason won't see this and may miss out on half their answers, but it's a nice try.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 03:50 PM

I agree with Love, with the nasties and trolls on Fodors, an innocent double posting is hardly anything to care about.
Lately Fodors has not been running so swiftly and I think some people think that their original post did not go through..it really does not bother me at all.
As long as people post nicely, I don't care if they post a dozen times

Now, beachdweller, which beach?
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

I did mean this to be helpful, not accusatory. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Scarlett,

the beach at which I dwell is Myrtle Beach. And we're such beach lovers, we usually spend half of our vacations at or near a shore as well (most recently, Hawaii, Ireland, Ireland again this August).
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Beachdweller,

I found you well intentioned, well worded and helpful!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I'm with those who agree this is a non-issue.

More worrisome to me are those who don't know how to find driving distances and times by using www.maps.yahoo.com or weather averages at www.weather.com.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I didn't think this thread was anything but being helpful

I used to go to Myrtle Beach every summer with our family on vacation!
We would rent a little cottage in the pines.
I know I would not recognise it now
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Scarlett,

I know that place! It's a 12-story condo tower now. Just kidding (I hope).

Although lots of MB has changed, there's still quite a bit I remember from my visits as a youngster, a few, ahem, years ago. In fact, when we first moved down here, we lived in NMB and our daily commute took us past the "Blue House" where my wife stayed every summer on her family's vacations. That was pretty neat.