Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please describe the pool at the Fairmont Kea Lani in Maui

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I might have spelled the hotel wrong, but my husband and I love a great pool at the resort we select and I haven't seen much written up about the Fairmont in Maui. What is there pool area like? Is the resort really beautiful? A few people have recommended to us the Hyatt in Maui for their pools, and said the Grand Wailia is nice, but has too many children. So, which other top resorts have a great pool in Maui? We like activities, swim up bar, huge pools/multi-level are great! Thanks.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:08 AM

I'd be interested in hearing about the pools in Maui, too, as my fiance and I love them and are honeymooning there in August. We are also big beach people, and I understand the Sheraton is on the best stretch of beach in Kaanapali. What is the pool at the Sheraton like?
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 11:29 AM

I just came back from the Kea Lani-it was wonderful and I would recommend that hotel to anyone hands down.

The pool area is on 2 levels. The top level has 1 jacuzzi and a pool with a barpool. It has a waterslide that brings you down to the bottom pool.
The bottom pool is free forming and pretty big. It has a basketball net. There are many "toys" for the pool in the Activity Center.

Honestly, I am a pool person and I thought this pool was great! We saw the 4-seasons and the Grand Waliea's grounds. The 4-seasons pools were horrible. The GW was AWESOME! Depending on the time there could be MANY children.

I did love the Hyatt's pool in Kauai though! That was amazing!
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Thanks Luvthebeach!! I always hear that the Four Seasons are superior to the Fairmont hotels. We loved the one at the Sonoma Mission Inn and are now deciding between the Four Seasons or the Fairmont for an upcoming trip to AZ.

I also base my decisions on which has the best pool as we are all avid swimmers and lounge people!! ***kim***
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 03:51 PM

I agree with luvthebeach, the pools at Kea Lani (and the whole resort) are great...there is also an adults only pool which is very quiet and peaceful. It is off to the side and you would have to look for it, but is is really wonderful.

Awesome is one way to describe the GW pool complex, but it is best appreciated by very active (loud) people or those with a cadre of important kiddies (each with a cell phone)...it is over the top, how much money can we spend?, let's top Disney World because we can! awesome...but you couldn't pay ME to stay there! It would be fun to visit for a day - like an amusement park, but I would be very happy to return to the Kea Lani afterward for some peace and quiet with all the comforts...GW is amazing, but it is Las Vegas glitzy while the Kea Lani is understated and elegant...the 4S is just plain, plain, although the service is probably much better...and the rooms half the size...all 3 are really great resorts...it just depends on what you want...for my money KL wins...you can visit GW and gawk at the "spendor" of it all and use the wonderful spa, and do eat at Spago at the 4S and shop in their wonderful shops...but stay at Kea Lani.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 05:08 PM

And the Kea Lani is also in this years Entertainment Book, believe it or not! My husband's entire family lived in Hawaii for many years. With them all back on the Mainland, we're looking for some reason to go there!! ***kim***
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 01:24 PM

I absolutely LOVED the Kea Lani! It totally made my trip to Hawaii (period--including the other island!). Describe the pool? Which one! There are 3 pools there. I only went to 2 of them, as one was more "family oriented" (it was the kids pool). The adult pool is very relaxing and quiet. There are servers that can serve you lunch or drinks. They have people coming around with mint-scented wet wash-cloths to cool you down, and another person who comes around with slivers of pineapple for you to eat. The pool itself is very long, no deeper than 5', and has areas around the edges that you can sit on and read a book or relax. The pool with the swim-up bar is more lively. There's the bar you can swim up to or sit at, and all around it are chairs. That pool is smaller than the "adult" pool, but it's the lead-in for the waterslide, which satisfied the kid in me! The pool itself isn't multi-leveled, but the sunbathing area around it is. Have a wonderful time. I can't wait to go back!
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 06:13 PM
hotandsweaty

based on what you said, i think you will truly be happiest with the pools at the hyatt in kauai (the standard river pool and a separate spa pool and a lagoon that is really a pool).
if you are definitely going to maui, and you are a "pool person" then you have no choice- you have to stay at the gw. i mean a "pool person" is a kid at heart anyway, right?
i like peace and quiet, too, but i also like waterslides and kids having fun and the gw had all that.
it's not the most upscale property on the island, but it's pool isa very hyatt-like, in fact, way back when it was a hyatt...
be sure to get a good rate, though, the rooms are very average.

Old Dec 28th, 2003, 07:42 PM
MMN

Above descriptions of the Kea Lani pools are very accurate. We spent most of our time at the adult pool & would walk over for a run down the waterslide or to have a drink at the swim-up bar.
We also found service to be excellent - everyone was very friendly and helpful.

Beachgirl - the Sheraton did have a great stretch of beach, we took a walk along it while in the area one night. You can snorkel at the beach right in front of the hotel. I don't remember the pools looking nearly as nice as the ones at Kea Lani though. It was also a much more crowded area.