Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

PLease can you recommend you favorite restaurant in New York?

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Elle

Yes, I've read the rants and raves but sometimes I like hearing what people have to say in real time.

Thanks Elle

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Brian Kilgore

Three that have, as far as I'm concerned, a distinctive New York feel to them, difficult to duplicate elsewhere.

Smith & Wollensky's steak house, more or less behind the Waldorf Astoria.

Carnegie Deli.

Tennessee Mountain House, in Soho, where, to me, it feels to me as if I'm
at the neighborhood hangout of famous mid-fame (not movie stars, but magazine editors, internationally known photographers, movie directors, etc.) when they are in their family-mode, not their fame-mode. And I really like the ribs and the deep fried onions.

BAK

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 12:10 PM
lisa

Favorite anywhere and any kind of food? That's tough, because I like different restaurants for different kinds of meals. But, here's a crack at it:

Les Halles -- 28th & Park. A great french steakhouse/butcher shop. Wonderful mussels, great wine list, good service.

Fresco by Scotto -- 52nd b/t Madison & Park. Delicious Italian food; bright, cheery interior; warm, friendly service.

Rosa Mexicano -- 61st & 1st. Wonderful, authentic mexican; delicious pomegrante (!) margaritas; made-at-your-table guacamole.

Just to name a few.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Danielle

Il Mulino by far.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Howard

Chez Josephine, Union Square Cafe.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Postal

For very reasonably priced seafood, especially shrimp and lobster, El Quijote on West 23rd Street between Seventh and Eighth Aves. For Chinese food, Famous New York Noodletown for the salt baked soft shell crabs and shrimp dumplings in soup.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Kevin

The best place in New York is the Four Seasons in Midtown

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 04:48 PM
dcp

Listen to Danielle, Il Mulino!! If you go, I'd recommend trying to get in for lunch. It a little less expensive and you shouldn't have the wait.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Nick

Beacon. Have the chocolate chip souffle. Phat!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Bill

Becco on 46th between 8th and 9th. For about $23, this very trendy and upscale restaurant will serve you an elegant antipasto and all you can eat from among the three pastas made specially for that day. The matriarch of the family that owns the restaurant, Lidia Biastanich has witten various cookbooks and hosts a PBS cooking show. This meal is the best buy you'll find anywhere!!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 06:58 PM
steve

Il Mulino for great food. Downside is sometimes they keep you waiting and the tables are too close together. Second Avenue Deli for the best deli anywhere. Le Bernadine for great french/seafood.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 08:38 PM
wendy

Now I know that most of the people on this site DON'T get it.Check out the response to this thread.There are so many great places to dine and almost 10 responses can only name restaurants that have seen their day.It's the same people responding to all the questions.Elle, if you want up to the date reviews check out Citysearch,Zagat or The NY Times.Somebody at work said I could get good info on the Fodors Travel Talk.They were wrong.I could not believe some of the other questions asking or commenting about fat people etc.This is the last time I come to this site.See ya.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Tom

Bye bye Wendy. We'll sure miss you.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 04:59 AM
drCharles

Just because Wendy is simple minded doesn't mean that we should be annoyed with her.Someday she might bump her head and suddenly be normal.You never know!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:10 AM
Cheryl

When visiting NY, I've really enjoyed the Gotham Bar & Grill, and the Red Eye Grill.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 05:31 AM
kc

There are so many catagories of Favorites for us!
Indian-Dawat
Holy Basil
Italian-Gino's , Il Mulino,
French-Provence, Pastis
Brunch-The Cub Room,Zoe,The Cupping Room
Grange Hall
Mexican-Rosa Mexicana or Los Dos Rancheros for really down & dirty Mex
Chinese-20 Mott St
Japanese-Nobu
Lunch-Il Corallo,EJs Luncheonette
then there is
Aqua Grill,Cafe des Artistes,Ouest,The Blue Ribbon Bakery
sorry there are too many favorites in this city for me!

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:24 AM
nina

Our favorite is Lupa, great food at a reasonable price. If its an expense account dinner then Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe.

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 06:26 AM
nina

Oh, I forgot to mention Mesa Grill. Best chicken I've ever had, anywhere.