Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   PLease can you recommend you favorite restaurant in New York? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/please-can-you-recommend-you-favorite-restaurant-in-new-york-193392/)

Elle Apr 7th, 2002 10:50 AM

PLease can you recommend you favorite restaurant in New York?

Yes, I've read the rants and raves but sometimes I like hearing what people have to say in real time.<BR><BR>Thanks Elle

Brian Kilgore Apr 7th, 2002 11:15 AM

Three that have, as far as I'm concerned, a distinctive New York feel to them, difficult to duplicate elsewhere.<BR><BR>Smith & Wollensky's steak house, more or less behind the Waldorf Astoria.<BR><BR>Carnegie Deli.<BR><BR>Tennessee Mountain House, in Soho, where, to me, it feels to me as if I'm <BR>at the neighborhood hangout of famous mid-fame (not movie stars, but magazine editors, internationally known photographers, movie directors, etc.) when they are in their family-mode, not their fame-mode. And I really like the ribs and the deep fried onions.<BR><BR>BAK

lisa Apr 7th, 2002 12:10 PM

Favorite anywhere and any kind of food? That's tough, because I like different restaurants for different kinds of meals. But, here's a crack at it:<BR><BR>Les Halles -- 28th & Park. A great french steakhouse/butcher shop. Wonderful mussels, great wine list, good service.<BR><BR>Fresco by Scotto -- 52nd b/t Madison & Park. Delicious Italian food; bright, cheery interior; warm, friendly service.<BR><BR>Rosa Mexicano -- 61st & 1st. Wonderful, authentic mexican; delicious pomegrante (!) margaritas; made-at-your-table guacamole.<BR><BR>Just to name a few.

Danielle Apr 7th, 2002 01:49 PM

Il Mulino by far.

Howard Apr 7th, 2002 02:34 PM

Chez Josephine, Union Square Cafe.

Postal Apr 7th, 2002 03:30 PM

For very reasonably priced seafood, especially shrimp and lobster, El Quijote on West 23rd Street between Seventh and Eighth Aves. For Chinese food, Famous New York Noodletown for the salt baked soft shell crabs and shrimp dumplings in soup.

Kevin Apr 7th, 2002 04:14 PM

The best place in New York is the Four Seasons in Midtown

dcp Apr 7th, 2002 04:48 PM

Listen to Danielle, Il Mulino!! If you go, I'd recommend trying to get in for lunch. It a little less expensive and you shouldn't have the wait.

Nick Apr 7th, 2002 05:41 PM

Beacon. Have the chocolate chip souffle. Phat!

Bill Apr 7th, 2002 06:32 PM

Becco on 46th between 8th and 9th. For about $23, this very trendy and upscale restaurant will serve you an elegant antipasto and all you can eat from among the three pastas made specially for that day. The matriarch of the family that owns the restaurant, Lidia Biastanich has witten various cookbooks and hosts a PBS cooking show. This meal is the best buy you'll find anywhere!!

steve Apr 7th, 2002 06:58 PM

Il Mulino for great food. Downside is sometimes they keep you waiting and the tables are too close together. Second Avenue Deli for the best deli anywhere. Le Bernadine for great french/seafood.

wendy Apr 7th, 2002 08:38 PM

Now I know that most of the people on this site DON'T get it.Check out the response to this thread.There are so many great places to dine and almost 10 responses can only name restaurants that have seen their day.It's the same people responding to all the questions.Elle, if you want up to the date reviews check out Citysearch,Zagat or The NY Times.Somebody at work said I could get good info on the Fodors Travel Talk.They were wrong.I could not believe some of the other questions asking or commenting about fat people etc.This is the last time I come to this site.See ya.

Tom Apr 7th, 2002 09:49 PM

Bye bye Wendy. We'll sure miss you.

drCharles Apr 8th, 2002 04:59 AM

Just because Wendy is simple minded doesn't mean that we should be annoyed with her.Someday she might bump her head and suddenly be normal.You never know!

Cheryl Apr 8th, 2002 05:10 AM

When visiting NY, I've really enjoyed the Gotham Bar & Grill, and the Red Eye Grill.

kc Apr 8th, 2002 05:31 AM

There are so many catagories of Favorites for us!<BR>Indian-Dawat<BR>Holy Basil<BR>Italian-Gino's , Il Mulino, <BR>French-Provence, Pastis<BR>Brunch-The Cub Room,Zoe,The Cupping Room<BR>Grange Hall<BR>Mexican-Rosa Mexicana or Los Dos Rancheros for really down & dirty Mex<BR>Chinese-20 Mott St<BR>Japanese-Nobu<BR>Lunch-Il Corallo,EJs Luncheonette<BR>then there is <BR>Aqua Grill,Cafe des Artistes,Ouest,The Blue Ribbon Bakery<BR>sorry:) there are too many favorites in this city for me!

nina Apr 8th, 2002 06:24 AM

Our favorite is Lupa, great food at a reasonable price. If its an expense account dinner then Gramercy Tavern and Union Square Cafe.

nina Apr 8th, 2002 06:26 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention Mesa Grill. Best chicken I've ever had, anywhere.