Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays and seat assignment question

Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

I'm used to making my own travel arrangements, but for the first time I bought a flight/hotel/car package to Hawaii through Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays.

This is DH's first vacation in many years, his first trip to Hawaii, and our 30th anniversary. So as soon as I paid for the trip, I reviewed Seatguru and started phoning to get a window/aisle before the wing. But to my dismay both HA and Pleasant say we cannot get seat assignments till the day of the flight, and they cannot even guarrantee we will have seats together.

This is going to be a long flight, and will be a bit dissapointing if we end up with middle seats or are separated. (We will get to the airport early, of course.) I had no idea Pleasant had this restriction, and wonder if any of you have experienced this, or used Pleasant and been able to reserve seats in advance?

Advice? Reassurance? Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Not getting a seat next to my wife would bother me more than not getting a window seat. Remember, unless you're coming from the east coast, most of the flight to Hawaii will be high over the vast emptiness of the Pacific Ocean with virtually nothing to see for hours. Even if your flight originates out east, I've found that in a lot of instances we're flying too high, or over lots of clouds to see anything anyhow.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:33 AM

That's interesting... we booked our July (2008) trip to Hawaii through a TA with Pleasant Holidays and one of our interisland flights was on Hawaiian. We knew our seats at time of booking for both the Hawaiian Air and United flights. The only flight for which we did not have pre-assisgned seats was on Aloha which has an open seating policy. Perhaps they have changed rules or perhaps interisland is different than from mainland?? I also am not sure whether TA or PH set seats - I would guess our TA. I think once a few years ago we booked a trip sort of last minute (maybe 60 days or so out) and we didn't have guaranteed seat assignments until check-in - this was on American I believe.
I'm not really much help as to how to get seats together, but at least you know someone is out there who was able to ahead of time with PH. My only suggestion if you can't do anything until your travel dates arrive, is to check in online as soon as you are able (likely 24 hours in advance) and see if you can select seats then.
Good luck!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:53 AM

see my response on your other thread - it is VERY common these days to not be able to select seats unless you are elite or on full fare. Some airlines allow seat selection 24 hours prior to the flight. Don't worry - you won't be separated from your husband . . . . . .

(Besides - even picking your seats ahead of time doesn't guarantee those are the seats you end up w/ )
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Lots of airlines won't assign seats ahead for a good % of the plane. They hold that until the airport for some (annoying to me) reason.

Remember, another confirguration to try for is seats across the aisle from each other. That's nice on a long flight sometime. You can still talk but have a bit more room.

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM

janisj, you say not to worry ... that the person will not be seated away from their spouse. I disagree that that is a certainty ... some of our family have had that happen, on a couple of trips, when they booked through a third party!
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Morning,

I encountered the same policy on Icelandair recently. I called the main customer service number the day before my trip and asked the reservations agent if seat assignments have opened up yet, and if it would be at all possible for her to assign us seats now. She was happy to oblige.

It might help to mention that you're a nervous flyer...even if you're not.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 10:04 AM

I second that it IS very well possible that they will be separated. Several times on mainland/Hawaii flights there were entire families spread out all over the plane. I don't know their back-story, but only rememeber it because it made such a ruckus for everyone.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM

See my reply to your thread in the Airlines forum.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 03:49 PM

"some of our family have had that happen, on a couple of trips, when they booked through a third party!"

That likely had nothing to do w/ booking through a 3rd party or package tour. Some airlines just don't do it except for elite ff members.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM

janisj, I have NEVER had an airline, when I booked directly with them, suggest or try to seat my family separately.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:34 PM

That isn't what I meant - MANY airlines no longer allow seat selection ahead of time. If a group is split up it really has nothing to do w/ whether they booked 3rd party or not.

Most airlines used to have advance seat selection - that is becoming a thing of the past unless you get up there in status.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 04:59 PM

I agree. This is up to the airlines policy, has nothing to do with a 3rd party.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 05:07 PM

My husband and I took a trip with them quite a while ago (maybe 6 or 7 years ago). We also could not get seat assignments ahead of time. When we got to the airport there was already a huge line of people since everyone arrived really early to get seats. I'm not trying to scare you...just plan on getting to the airport pretty early.
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:11 PM

I guess we're just lucky, ladies, but on several recent Jet Blue and American flights, we never have a problem selecting seats ahead of time! I hope I continue to be so lucky ...
Old Nov 4th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much! (I am glad to know at least that I didn't make a Big Mistake buying the package.) I've only ever had this happen on BA before -- but I could usually book seats online 24 hours before.

I will get to the airport very, very early. And meanwhile will keep phoning HA. Wish me luck! And thank you again.

Old Nov 4th, 2008, 09:04 PM

Hi Morning Giggle!
My hubby and I went to HI in April and had a wonderful time. You are so lucky to go. I will tell you that it IS a VERY long flight, but I wouldn't stress over seat assignments. Even if you don't get a definite assignment, people are always willing to move around. We travel alot (every other week), and have never had problems changing around. My advice is to first call the airline directly, then, if you don't get help there, just ask at the check in desk at the airport. We have done that several times and had seats changed around. On these long flights, they try very hard to accomadate those who are traveling together.
As for interisland, when we were there, all of the flights were unassigned seats. Basically, first come, first served. It's no big deal, just get on together. The flights are very quick anyway.
One more bit of advice for the flight to HI (and back), you may want to try to get seats in the middle, 3 seater row. Usually if you get the two seats, the 3rd will be vacant and then you two can really spread out. You don't want a window seat for that flight. You can't see a thing anyway.
Hope you have a blast! Enjoy every minute! Let me know if I can answer any questions you may have about HI.
Tammy =)
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Do we know where Morning_Giggle is coming from? Isn't not a terribly long flight from west coast U.S. (only six hours from Seattle to Honolulu, for example).
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tammy! We're so looking forward! (I'll look into that three seat thing, too.)

Suze, we're flying from Portland to Honolulu nonstop, so it's only six hours, luckily. Oddly, they've given me reserved seats for the interisland flight to Lihue, just not the Pdx/Honolulu part.
Old Nov 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM

Morning giggle...On hawaiian, it likely means that the only seats left are emergency exit or premium seats. I fly this route all the time and often don't get a seat till I check in. I'm going next week and have no seats as a matter of fact!

I wouldn't worry about it. The FAs are nice and usually will help you trade with someone if you get split up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO