Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Play Suggestions in New York City (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/play-suggestions-in-new-york-city-557958/)

janiekins Sep 12th, 2005 11:01 AM

Play Suggestions in New York City

I will be in New York City w/ my husband November 16-20. Can anyone suggest some great plays to see???

Patrick Sep 12th, 2005 11:08 AM

janiekins, you'll have to ask us more than that. It could be said that all shows which are "making it" on Broadway and even off Broadway are "great". Are you talking musicals, non musicals, comedy, drama, something light, something heavy, something thought provoking, something with a famous "star"? Please give us something to go on here. Have you ever seen a play before -- on Broadway or elsewhere? What do you like?

sdogersall Sep 12th, 2005 11:18 AM

See RENT!

PamSF Sep 12th, 2005 11:32 AM

We have tickets for "Light in the Piazza" @ Lincoln Center during our early October visit. The score is magnficent!!

screen_name Sep 12th, 2005 11:59 AM

I won't ask how old you are....but if you watched Sesame Street and/or the Electric Company when you were growing up, you will find "AVENUE Q" to be 2 hours of pure entertainment.

HowardR Sep 12th, 2005 12:27 PM

As you can already see by the variety of recommendations, Patrick has given the best response. Tell us your general tastes, interests, etc. Otherwise, you'll probably receive a recommendation for just about every show on Broadway and a few off-Broadway!

theresac Sep 12th, 2005 12:54 PM

Not knowing what your preference is ( comedy,drama, musical) I would still have to recommend "Doubt". I took my husband to see it recently ( he's never seen b'way show before) and he is still talking about it. Its thought provoking, entertaining and is presented in a beautiful theater, which just adds to the Broadway Experience. Get tickets for it if you can.

djkbooks Sep 12th, 2005 06:07 PM

Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick are doing "The Odd Couple".

Maggi Sep 12th, 2005 07:01 PM

We are looking forward to seeing "The Woman in White", the new Andrew Lloyd Weber musical opening in previews in October at the Marquis Theater. It is currently running in London to good reviews.

Patrick Sep 12th, 2005 07:22 PM

Actually Woman in White in London got very mixed reviews -- some of them good, but an equal number of them pretty damning.
Although supposedly the Broadway version has been somewhat improved from the London one.

TarheelsInNj Sep 13th, 2005 05:19 AM

"The Odd Couple," unfortunately, is way past sold out at this point.

This past Sunday's NY Times was the annual Fall Preview issue. You might consider taking a look online and seeing if any of the new shows interest you.

Otherwise, with some more information about your taste, I'm sure we can come up with some great recommendations for plays or musicals!

janiekins Sep 13th, 2005 06:13 AM

I am looking for either a musical, comedy or something light

everythingtravel Sep 13th, 2005 06:36 AM

If you're planning to purchase tickets in advance I would consider "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" or "Avenue Q" - both of these musicals will have limited ticket available on the day/week of the show but you should be able to score good seats in advance. "Spelling Bee" is one of the big hits of the season, good for all ages, and very enjoyable. If you prefer to take a chace and purchase tickets once you arrive utilize the TKTS Booth in Times Square. You should be able to score tickets there to "Mamma Mia", "All Shook Up" or "Hairspray" - all three good musical comedy choices. Thanks for supporting live theater!

http://everythingtravel.blogspot.com/

HowardR Sep 13th, 2005 06:51 AM

Your stated criteria of "either a musical, comedy of something light," doesn't really narrow the possibilities too much.
Assuming that "something light" is the key criterion, I'd recommend you select from one of the following (listed alphabetically):
All Shook Up
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Hairspray
Mamma Mia
The Producers
Some aren't necessarily the best of Broadway, but they most qualify based on your response.

TarheelsInNj Sep 13th, 2005 10:24 AM

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and The Producers are excellent choices. Both are funny, and a little bit bawdy, but definitely still give you the feeling of having seen a "big Broadway musical."

Have fun!

mjhill1004 Oct 4th, 2005 02:34 PM

We liked "Wicked" a lot. We are both in our early 40s and still enjoyed it very much. I thought the music was awesome. The crowd was very enthusiastic and seemed to have the same response that we did.

LikeToTravel Oct 4th, 2005 04:19 PM

We are in our late forties, early fifties and loved Wicked- outstanding stage! Everyone we have sent has loved it! Have Fun!

starrsville Oct 4th, 2005 04:31 PM

I cannot WAIT to see Wicked. I honestly wore out one CD listening to my 2 favorite tracks and had to buy a new one. I'm getting tix for my birthday! Yeah!!! :-)

PaulH Oct 4th, 2005 05:18 PM

If you're emailing from USA, buy the Sunday NY Times. The theater section is extensive. There is a "TCTS" office in Times Square, where you can get in line in the morning and buy half-price tickets for that evening. The lines look long, but they claim no more than a 30 minute wait.

SCOOCHY12 Oct 4th, 2005 08:22 PM

You can't go wrong with a Broadway show. For a comedy - definitely see Avenue Q & Spelling B - just saw them both in Sept. Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate also very cute. HAVE FUN!