Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Plase answer another question about New York restaura nts (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/plase-answer-another-question-about-new-york-restaura-nts-503126/)

adeleh Feb 11th, 2005 05:10 PM

Plase answer another question about New York restaura nts

We will be in New York in March for three nights looking at Columbia and NYU(wish us luck). We are looking for two very memorable restaurants. We are world travelers and are looking for a pure New York experience.
To us River Cafe, Terrace in the Sky and Ritz at Central Park are the places you cannot find anywhere else, but new york.Basically we are looking for good atmosphere , good service, good wine, and good food at last.
Any help will be appreciated.

Patrick Feb 11th, 2005 06:50 PM

Le Bernardin

wantsomesun Feb 11th, 2005 07:01 PM

If you are going to be in the Columbia area, try Cafe Taci, on Broadway and 110th St, pure NYC experience.

The food is good and all the servers are aspiring Opera Singers so you will have a wonderful meal and have some fantastic music. All the singers are students at Manhattan School of Music.

I'd suggest getting a copy of Zagat's Guide and keep it handy while you are traveling around the city. We use ours all the time, and we live here.

Seattle_Girl Feb 11th, 2005 09:49 PM

Cinquanta is a wonderful, Zagat-reviewed Italian restaurant, located on 50 East 50th Street, (212)759-5050. I believe cinquanta means "50" in Italian.

Here is what Zagat's said: "While there must be cinquanta Italian restaurants in its section of Midtown, this "amicable" "standby" sets itself apart with "delicious" classic dishes, "dependable," "friendly" service and moderate prices."

I go there each time I am in New York on business, and each visit is a memorable one! The service is outstanding, and the owner, Silvio, frequently roams the restaurant and chats with diners.

mclaurie Feb 12th, 2005 04:35 AM

I'm not sure if your comment about "...good food at last" is a reference to meals you've had at River Cafe etc. or not.

While I haven't been, Per Se is THE hot new restaurant in NY in the Time Warner building (with views). Every food critic has waxed eloquent although you need to take out a mortgage to go (and serious "pull" to get a reservation).

Cafe Gray is another new one in the Time Warner building that has also gotten great reviews. Another option is Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental hotel which is on the 35 floor of the Time Warner building so even more dramatic views. You can also have a drink in the lobby bar of the Mandarin hotel as an option for the view.

Gramercy Tavern, Cru and Spice Market are other "only in NY" type places, each quite different.

I agree with Patrick that the food at Le Bernardin is terrific.

dhm49 Feb 14th, 2005 06:57 AM

First off... yum!

My two cents is that the River Cafe is great for the view -- but I was underwhelmed by both the food and the stodgie atmosphere...

My personal favorite is Chanterelle -- understated, in the middle of Tribeca, friendly and food is heavenly.

Also, for some less than gourmmet, but definitely New York experiences.. Brunch at Fairway Market (upstairs cafe -- must have the pancakes)at 75th and Bdway and/or brunch at Barney Greengrass (I think 88 & Columbus?)-- the ultimate in true "only in New York" culinary experience -- If you go to Barney Greengrass and a waiter comes out of the kitchen "hocking" potato pancakes... don't hesitate, order some!

Enjoy and good luck to your HS-er!

flyert Feb 14th, 2005 09:52 AM

For a New York experience, you should definitely have pizza at least for one meal. Giorgione, Lombardi's, and Nick's (on 2nd Ave.) come to mind, but even most of the random pizza parlors that you see on every other block usually have good pizza.

Jean_Valjean Feb 14th, 2005 10:13 AM

Gramercy Tavern... For some reason, I always find that it is the most memorable experience... food is spectacular, service is truly great and the decor is perfect (elegant yet understated and comfortable)... I've yet to find a more balanced restaurant than this. Oh, and I do believe that it is quintessential NY.

liney0729 Feb 14th, 2005 10:27 AM

Go to Grifone in midtown. It is italian, very small and very authentic. Everything seems very formal, however, we find that if you talk to the waiters, they are down to earth and like to have fun. We asked for things not on the menu and they obliged. They even tried out a new dish on us. We had the best time ever at a restaurant there. The food is outstanding and the wine is better. Try to get the Formentini Merlot!!!

cindymal Feb 14th, 2005 10:42 AM

Per Se is amazing and must be the best dinning experience in NYC,Daniel is also wonderful with great atmosphere and service,Ateiier in the ritz is amazing with a great atmosphere,Chanterelle and Le Bernadin are good but have extremely snoby service.River cafe is nice with beautiful views and good food but somewhat commercial, The terrace is nice and is near Columbia with great views and ok service.I had dinner at Cafe gray and it was not on par with the above restaureants.(I think Daniel is you best choice.)great food,service,ambiance and wine list.All of the above restaurants have great wine lists.If you are a wine enthuiast they will let you bring in your own at a hefty corkage fee

kamahinaohoku Feb 14th, 2005 10:50 AM

wantsomesun - Cafe Taci has moved downtown. 10 Waverly Place (at Mercer St), NYC 10003 (212) 678-5345

http://www.caffetaci.com/

Al_LaCarte Feb 14th, 2005 12:24 PM

Here's a second for Le Bernardin: If you love seafood, there is simply nowhere else in the U.S. to compare with it. Amazing.

AL ((d))

michelleNYC Feb 14th, 2005 12:46 PM

Gramercy Tavern -- exceptional.

Patrick Feb 14th, 2005 01:14 PM

I'm always amazed when people say Le Bernardin has really snobby service. I wonder if we were just lucky or other people displayed an attitude which caused the snobbiness. I'm sure if you approach the place as "here I am ready to spend all this money, now show me how good it can be" then the service would be snobby. And I say that because I've been places with "friends" who did just that. But we joked with our waiter at the beginning and it was the most professional, but relaxed service I've ever had anywhere. And that goes for all three times over a long period of time that we've dined there.

Sunnyboy Feb 14th, 2005 01:24 PM

Another vote for Le Bernardin - absolutely the best seafood anywhere!! Truly superb. I've always had great attentive, but not overbearing, service whether dining alone or with others. Don't know why anyone would ever refer to the service as "snoby".