Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Plantation instead of Ft. Lauderdale to save $?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten some good advice about hotels in Ft. Lauderdale. I think for the level I want to stay in(something like Sheraton, Marriott, Hilton)the best I can do in Ft. Lauderdale is $250.

I'm wondering if staying in Plantation might be a good option -- cheaper prices and as nice or nicer properties since it's not quite so beach-resorty. What I mean is - the Sheraton in Plantation might be in better condition than the one right on the beach in Ft. Lauderdale since it doesn't get used by spring breakers. Am I kidding myself? Maybe Plantation is the same difference?

This is for a 2 nt stay pre-cruise so I don't really need a beach experience but want a nice place to stay that doesn't break the bank. Assume we could take a taxi for not too much $ into Lauderdale and walk in the shopping area or even go on the beach for the one and a half days we'll have.

Does that sound like a good idea? Any recommendations on a nice chain hotel
in Plantation?

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 05:50 AM

Many folks use Priceline for a room for 1 or 2 nights before a cruise. YOu could certainly do better than $250 via Priceline.
How Priceline works
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34495943

Info on pre-cruise bidding
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...1&tid=34860897
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:03 AM
Neopolitan

First of all, if you do stay in Plantation, I'd strongly suggest you rent a car. Car rentals are cheap and you'll pay for two days rental with the cost of taxi to and from your hotel alone. Add in a couple major trips by taxi and you've used up anything you've spent. Taxis are not cheap in Lauderdale --especially while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic (assuming you're going in season, judging by the prices).

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:35 AM
GoTravel

Ft. Lauderdale hasn't been a big spring break destination since the 1980s so I wouldn't worry about spring breakers.

While Plantation is lovely, I don't ever want to stay out there. It is simply too far from the beaches, attractions, dining, and shopping.\

Not worth the savings to me.

PLUS, driving is South Florida traffic can be a nightmare. Not something I enjoy.

Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:21 PM

It's rare for tourists to stay in Plantation since it's so far from the beaches (15 miles). It is a nice, safe area and I know the Sheraton well since I live a few miles from it. It looks pretty fancy and well maintained, right next to a deserted upscale mall (Fashion Mall).

Allow yourself a half hour to get from Plantation to the beaches if you do decide to stay there.