Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Planning Trip to Grand Canyon with Grandson (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/planning-trip-to-grand-canyon-with-grandson-1671571/)

Alice9 Sep 8th, 2019 04:05 PM

Planning Trip to Grand Canyon with Grandson

My husband and I are going to take our first 'solo' trip with our 10 year old grandson at the end of the school year. After considerable discussion, he's decided on the Grand Canyon. I think we'll go as soon as he's out of school, so the latter half of June, and probably plan a one week trip. When we went to the Grand Canyon some years ago, we also spent some time in Sedona, and it was about a one week trip.

I'd like to know some good resources for itineraries and activities for kids that age. I had considered one of the Road Scholar Grandparent/Grandchild trips, but when I asked him about it, he said he preferred it be just the 3 of us, so we 'can do what we want'. I guess he's a traveler just like us, we like to travel on our own! When we were in Sedona, we did a jeep tour and a helicopter trip and I'm sure he would love both. I've never done rafting in the area, but I assume he would like that. As soon as I can get solid dates from my son, I'll see about accommodations, I'm probably too late already to stay in the park.

I'm really looking forward to traveling with him, and want to plan a very special trip.

Thanks for your help as always.

Alice

janisj Sep 8th, 2019 04:46 PM

With one week I'd think about something like Fly Phoenix > drive to the Grand Canyon (2 nights) > Page / Lake Powell boat trio into Antelope Canyon (2 nights) > Zion (2 nights) > Las Vegas/fly home (or in reverse)

janisj Sep 8th, 2019 04:47 PM

. . . and no, it is not too late to book there.

Alice9 Sep 8th, 2019 05:42 PM

Thanks, janisj! We went to Zion for the first time this year, so I'm not sure I want to go again so soon. But it WAS fabulous. And I will take a look at Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon, thanks for the suggestion. Seems like a very doable itinerary.

Alice

janisj Sep 8th, 2019 06:20 PM

Your grandson might like to see Zion with you - since you know the ropes so to speak :)

But substituting a couple of days in Sedona would be good too. I think the combo of the GC and Antelope Canyon would be great for a 10 yo - anything else will be gravy.

emalloy Sep 9th, 2019 03:05 AM

If you decide on a night in Page, you could do a half day smooth water raft trip on the Colorado river from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry (where the outfitters who go into the Grand Canyon on multiway raft trips put in), and also do the trip into Antelope Canyon.

I would try for lodging in Grand Canyon and if they say they are full, make a reservation that can be cancelled in Tusayan or at Cameron Trading post and keep calling back. There are two different numbers to call, one for elTovar, Thunderbird, Kachina and Maswick and another for Yavapai. They get cancellations all the time as people book so far in advance and find they can't make the trip as time gets close.

mlgb Sep 9th, 2019 04:09 AM

You should be able to book one of the 2 Queen bedded motel units in the park, if nothing else is available (Maswick and Yavapai). Note that construction at Maswick may or may not be complete by next summer. Might be worth following them on Twitter etc to see if you can get one of the new rooms.

Maswick and the others are booked through Xanterra
https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/

Yavapai is booked through Delaware North
https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/

Another place we like to combine with the GC is Kanab at Best Friends.

Alice9 Sep 10th, 2019 05:44 AM

Thanks so much, emalloy. I like the idea of 'smooth' water rafting more than alternative! And Antelope Canyon is looking like a good prospect. I'm going to look into lodging today or tomorrow.

Alice

Alice9 Sep 10th, 2019 05:46 AM

Thanks, mlgb, especially for the warning about the construction at Maseick. I really appreciate the links and I will check out Kanab.

Alice

Alice9 Sep 11th, 2019 12:40 PM

I just checked lodging IN the park, and as far as I can tell, the only place with A/C is Yavapai East - and it looks like a room with two queens is available. Good choice? I'm going to check the cancellation policy and maybe just book if it's not a problem. I'll have more time on the weekend to look at Kanab and Antelope Canyon.

Alice

mlgb Sep 11th, 2019 12:56 PM

I think the Maswick North rooms have A/C but I'd probably go with Yavapai for now because of the construction. . The one advantage of Maswick is that it is closer to the Bright Angel complex. However Yavapai has some other advantages, such as the grocery store and being closer to the ampitheater.

J62 Sep 11th, 2019 05:09 PM

While daytime highs at the end of June can be in the 80s, nightime lows will still be in the high 30's to 40's so AC is not an imperative.

Alice9 Sep 11th, 2019 05:15 PM

We like the A/C for noise as much as for temperature. Just running the fan is a help sometimes. And yes, the construction might be an issue at any rate. Thanks mlgb and JB2.

Alice

emalloy Sep 12th, 2019 05:43 AM

Yavapai is fine, not fancy, a bit farther from the rim, but you can walk to the rim trail from there. I would make any reservation that can be cancelled without a large penalty and hope for a room to open up in Kachina, Thunderbird or el Tovar which are right on the rim. Bright Angel lodge and a few cabins are on the rim too, but I do not remember AC when I stayed there last. Remember, lodging on the rim for most rooms does not mean a view, since the view is down from the rim, it just means you can get to the rim with a very short walk.

Alice9 Sep 19th, 2019 06:31 AM

I ended up book 3 nights at Yavapai (might cut it to two later), just so I have something. I'll work on the pre-park and post-park itinerary soon, but am glad I have some accommodations IN the park that I can cancel if need be. I'm trying to figure out what to do/where to stay coming from and going back to Phoenix. Years ago, when it was just the two of us, we stayed in the Sedona and loved it, but I've heard it's much more crowded now and I'm not sure it would be fun for a 10 year old (although we DID do a jeep trip and a helicopter ride).

Alice

mlgb Sep 19th, 2019 07:15 AM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fod...757152e276.jpg
I really, really dislike Sedona. Just too full of crafty boutiques and people.

If you need a location between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, there is also Flagstaff (which is cooler since at elevation). Walnut Canyon National Monument just outside of town with cliff dwellings that you can walk down to on a paved trail (lots of steps). The current trail closure is just partial, you can get down and back but not complete a loop. And there are views from the Visitor Center if the stairs are too much (I'm 66 and it wasn't too much for me).

https://www.nps.gov/waca/index.htm

tomfuller Sep 19th, 2019 07:20 AM

In early November my DW and I will be visiting Arizona including the south Rim and Sedona. We will be staying for several nights Flagstaff and taking long day trips from there.
We will be flying into Phoenix-Mesa Gateway on Allegiant instead of PHX. Since the flight arrives after 9PM, we take a taxi to a nearby hotel. We will rent from Enterprise in Mesa the next morning which will save about $150 over renting at the airport.
We plan to take a full day guided trip from Flagstaff to the south rim on a good weather day. I recently saw a list of the most overrated and underrated attractions in all states. The Grand Canyon was rated as overrated because of the crowds. Sedona was rated as underrated.
DW insisted on a German restaurant for her birthday dinner. I discovered the Manzanita restaurant in the small town of Cornville near Sedona. They also have some wild game on the menu as well.
I will give a trip report soon after we get back so remember to check back after November 15. I hope you have an enjoyable trip in Arizona.

mlgb Sep 19th, 2019 07:35 AM

If you are coming in from Flagstaff and not on a tour (not sure why you'd do that instead of driving, actually), be sure to spend time at the Desert View Watchtower

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/photo...watchtower.htm

and a quick stop at the tiny but excellent Tusuyan Museum. The docents there are very helpful. You might see 5 other tourists at Tusuyan. The more crowded part of the Grand Canyon is around Bright Angel since that is where most of the hotels are. I prefer the east end, actually. For a taste of going into the Canyon, I recommend the South Kaibab Trail to Ooh-Ahh Point rather than Bright Angel. Info on the NPS website. Get an early start.

I finally made it to Sunset Crater this past trip (not worth the detour) but I like Wupatki. https://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm
Also finally made the stop at Meteor Crater. It's a privately owned site, with good exhibits.

Alice9 Sep 22nd, 2019 12:41 PM

Looks fabulous, and I'm 66 too, although I think my knees are older! I have heard from several people that Sedona is way too crowded and commercial now - we really enjoyed it when we were there but it was maybe 20 years ago. So thanks very much for this, mlgb, I think the Island Trail, and your other suggestions will really fit the bill. I had already put the Tusuyan Museum on my list. And you're right, the NPS website is a font of information.

tomfuller, will be interested in your trip report. We haven't had to plan a trip with a 10 year old (other than to the beach) for long time, and I really want this to be special. I think he will want to do rafting of some sort, and maybe a helicopter ride. Now that I have accommodations in the park sorted, I'm temporarily working on accommodations for Key West in January which is SOON. Well, sooner than next June!

Thanks SO much,
Alice

Alice99 Sep 30th, 2021 10:15 AM

I should have posted earlier but we did NOT go in 2020 for obvious reasons, but we DID go this year in June. We were vaccinated, but my grandson was 11 and was not. But we were careful, and most of our activities were outdoors. We were in Flagstaff, at the Grand Canyon and in Sedona. Forest fires caused some issues but overall all three of us had a fabulous time ( and I have the photos to prove it!). I promise to do a trip report, traveling with a grandchild is a wonderful experience.

Alice