The OWJs return to North Myrtle Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the generosity of 2 fabulous people, one of which is a Fodorite, the family and I will be down in NMB for the 1st half of July...The kids are nearly 5 so hope to check out more stuff than in past visits. I have to check the Pelican's (minor league baseball) schedule and see if I can surprise OWJ2 w/some tkts but really don't know too many other family friendly nighttime doings since we were so tied to the kids' sleep schedules in the past. We'll make a trek down to Murrell's Inlet. Last year we happened upon some hula dancer show at a spot on the marsh that my kids still talk about. Does anyone know if that's a regular happening and if so what day? We'll also do dinner in Calabash.We've enjoyed the Seafood Hut and will definitely top off the night at Calabash Creamery (unhealthy as heck but real full fat delish homemade ice cream).

Suggestions welcome and if anyone is up for a GTG w/us, that would make the trip even more special....Beachdweller, are you stil on here anymore? GoTravel...
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM

PLEASE go down to Murrell's Inlet and have REAL seafood meals, if you want.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Gretchen--We plan to go to MI at least once. Love it there! What's your favorite restaurant that's also kid friendly? Pre kids we went to Divine Fish House and had a fabulous meal but don't know that I'd take the kids there...last 2 visits we went to a casual and popular spot on the marsh walk whose name escapes me right now. It was really good the first time, not so great last summer.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:59 AM

We have given up on Divine's and their sister restos. Often the seafood isn't local, and the prices are on up there. At Creek Ratz and Bubba Love's you can eat outside on the inlet. We also like the Inlet Crab House--funky turquoise and pink "shack" up near the Surfside intersection. You can make reservations there which is a plus.
For just a good seafood dinner prepared well with no ambience except being a fish "camp" there is Nance's.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Creek Ratz--Aha! That was the place went to the last 2 visits. Maybe we hit an off night??

Will have to look at Inlet Crab House, Bubba Love's and Nance's as an option. We're not looking for pricey. Good food and atmosphere are a plus but by no means essential.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

I should say that atmosphere isn't a must but do want good food
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM

These are all about the same price. Seafood is not cheap anywhere. Nance's is just a big "restaurant" but it is "reliable". They have a children's menu.
Creek RAtz I am sure is "iffy". We have only eaten lunch there--oysters, beer, stuff.
Bubba Love is the chef of (maybe) Divine's and he opened this kitschy place next door and is the chef both places, somehow.
We also really like the Island Deli and Cafe down in the town of Pawley's on Route 17--in the Mole Hole shopping center on the west side of the road. Good food and very reasonable. A good chef who is also at Bistro 217 just up the road.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM

At Murrells Inlet,Drunken Jack's has a children's menu - we enjoyed a good meal there last month with our niece & her family (ages 12 to 2). We also noticed a family dining with children at Bovine's, which also serves wood-fired pizzas, etc. "Pricey" is relative to the buyer; if you walk the boardwalk, most restaurants have their menu/prices posted at their entrances.

In regard to family-friendly activities - Broadway at the Beach area in MB has several - MagicQuest, Aquarium, Nascar SpeedPark, carnival rides, etc.

Huntington Beach State Park (very near Murrell's Inlet) has ranger-led day activities to participate in - Brookgreen Gardens has a zoo, butterfly house, jeep & pontoon rides, etc. (Statues/gardens may hold more interest for adults).
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Oh, wait. If you are going to be there over the 4th go to the boat parade at Murrell's Inlet. It is hilarious, cute, fun, and a great excuse to sit in one of the places and have a beer.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions for MI. We will get there some time during the stay...

Might I also pick your brains for ideas closer to North Myrtle Beach since that's where we'll staying?
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

I'm shamelessly topping my own thread in veiled attempt to pick brains for restaurant, stuff recs and see if I can get back in touch with beachdweller and fran and any other fodorites for a GTG. (GoT--will pm u on fb)

Gretchen--Do you know if the hula dancer show is a regular event in MI?? (BTW, I never need an excuse to have a beer at the beach and since my dh is a such a responsible adult I have a built in DD!)
Old Jun 6th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hotwheels--Thanks for your input as well!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 07:45 PM

OWJ, have you taken the kids to Alligator Adventure yet? You get the 2nd day free and it doesn't have to be on a consecutive day. They might be ready for some of the miniature golf courses this time out. Also, down at 53rd Avenue North(Cherry Grove) is Heritage Shores Nature Preserve. Up near OD, they have this huge water slide on the beach. Don't know the cost.
Here's a link to the parks. http://www.northmyrtlebeachchamber.c...ks-recreation/
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks icee! Mwah!! We've been by the Alligator Adventure and wondered about that place and the 2nd day free idea--makes it decent value. OWJ2 and I were talking about taking the kids to putt-putt golf too.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

As my kids would say, "Three more night-nights until we head to the beach!!" Woo Hooooooooo!!

Would love to get a mini GTG going. Anyone interested???
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:10 AM

Last time I was down in N. Myrtle Beach I wanted to see the tigers! But it was closed (early March) Looks like EXPENSIVE fun!
http://www.tigerfriends.com/RSF.html

My favorite resturant is Greg Normans 'Austrialian Grill'. More adult than kid friendly

-john
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 10:17 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Three nights or three "sleeps"?

Have a blast! Looking forward to seeing you when you get back.
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 12:09 PM

http://www.parsonstable.com/
Old Jun 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Parson's Table and Australian Grill--Looked at both menus and they sound great. Anyone up for babysitting two 4.5yr olds????

John--We've excitedly watched, but not participated in, the tiger exhibit at Barefoot Landing. I went through the website just to find out just HOW expensive visiting the preserve would be and to see if our kids could even participate. (They can't. Website said no young kids.) It looks *incredibly* cool but holy moly! $199pp?! You report back and tell us how it is!!!!
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Just want to say we are having a fabulously relaxing time. So far we've done a whole lot of nothing--beaching it mainly. Tonight's fireworks were so much fun. Big displays along the beach both north, south and immediately next to us. Good night had by all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -