Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning road trip from Charlotte to Grand Canyon

Feb 1st, 2007, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a 3 week road trip to the Grand Canyon from Charlotte. Any information or suggestions on what to see and route to take? We will be leaving the middle of May. Thanks, Jane
Feb 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM

You didn't say how long you wanted to spend at GC and you didn't say if there were any places you wanted to visit along the way. From Charlotte to GC the obvious choice is I77 to I40 which you would follow all the way to Flagstaff, AZ where you would jump on Hwy 89 north. There are a few stops you could make along the way depending on whether you just want to get there or if you want to see some other parts of the country along the way. For example you could stop off at the Smoky Mts in Tennessee, have some bbq in Memphis, make a slight detour in New Mexico to spend some time in Santa Fe. If you can give more info about your interests and timeline that would help.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

npurpheh2, Thanks for reponding. We are leaving from the Smokies (we have a
summer place there) and heading up I40
to Memphis for a couple of nights, thru Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. We plan to spend most of our time in the Alburquerque, Sedona, CG area -- 6 or 7 nights. Do you think this is doable?
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:32 AM

With three weeks to make the trip may I suggest that you get off the Interstate and see some of the country side. Getting there can be half the fun.

http://www.recreation.gov/index.jsp
_______

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything. From the Interstate, America is all steel guardrails and plastic signs, and every place looks and feels and sounds and smells like every other place." -- Charles Kuralt, from the book-- On the Road with Charles Kuralt

Feb 2nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

I totally agree with you and Charles Kuralt. Thanks for the Web site also.
Having enough time to meander a little along the way is our concern. We really don't want to see the country at 70 miles an hour. Will 3 weeks be enough time? Any suggestions? Thanks, Jane
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:22 AM

mark
Feb 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

I did a similar road trip from the same part of the country last year except my trip was 16 days. I took I20/I10 out west and returned on I40 so you'll have plenty of time. I did a lot of hiking, not quite sure if you are into that or not but here are some things I saw along the way (in order):

Book Depository where Kennedy was shot in Dallas

Carlsbad Caverns

Guadalupe NP

White Sands NM

Chiricahua National Park

Ft Bowie NM

Tucson (AZ Sonora Desert Museum & Downtown area)

Sedona (plenty of cool hikes)

Sunset Crater

Grand Canyon

Personally, if I were you, I'd head straight for New Mexico with no stopping. There is sooooo much to see in New Mexico, AZ, southern UT. You can spend a weekend in Memphis anytime. If I could do my trip over, probably the only thing I'd change would be a stopover in Santa Fe.

Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

You are absolutely correct ...what was I thinking? Why waste time in an area I can visit in a long weekend. We've been to a lot of the places on the I20-I10 route. We are planning to travel the I40 route out west and return on I70/I64. You've been great help. Did you book your Grand Canyon area hotel before you left for your trip? I'll be sure and add Santa Fe to my list of "must see".
Feb 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM

I stayed at Yavapai Lodge within Grand Canyon NP and yes, I made my reservation about this time last year for my May 2006 trip. I would highly recommend doing so...right after you read this message.