Planning next summer's vacation w/ kids

Oct 27th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Planning next summer's vacation w/ kids

Plan to spend a week in Montana next June with kids age 5 and 8. Plan to visit either Yellowstone or Glacier (too much to do both?) and am looking for a great area to stay in. Looking for recommendations for a special, memorable family vacation.
Nov 4th, 2008, 06:06 PM

HI glad to hear you will be headed to Montana next year. I would suggest that you chose one park or the other to do both you would spend a lot of time on the road and not enjoying the area. I would suggest Yellowstone. Don't know where you are comming from but could suggest some things with a little more info. Contact me at [email protected] I am in Billings.
Nov 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM

A week is plenty for either the Grand Teton/Yellowstone or Glacier. Both areas have lots to do, but you'd miss out on a lot if you tried to hit both in 7 days
Nov 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

If we do Yellowstone/Grand Teton, we can fly nonstop to Jackson or Bozeman, or maybe into one and out the other. We plan to go for a week and my wife says we're only staying two different places max. Any lodging recommendations close to the parks? We would lean toward a hotel or resort w/ pool (outdoor pool, preferably).
Nov 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM

It all depends how much you want to do. Yellowstone is huge and there are lots of great hiking trails and camping areas. With kids of 5 and 8 though, your hiking is limited and they probably want some "action" more than just scenery. We used to live in Bozeman Montana and have been to Yellowstone repeatedly. You can do a one day drive through trip (with a few short walks) and see Old Faithful, Fire river, Yellowstone falls, and other attractions in that area. Plus you are sure to see all kinds of animals, and you can check out the wolf and bear discovery center in west Yellowstone. Then you could drive to Glacier and see it too. Or you could do one day like I described, camp or stay at a hotel, then work deeper into Yellowstone and maybe finish up in Cody, go see the Buffalo Bill Museum. There are lots of options, just depends on what you want to do and how much your kids enjoy the outdoors. Here is a site with some great info on Yellowstone, www.greatwildlifevacations.com Have a great trip.